MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #8926
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

May be but I'm gonna try without it and see if it gets the temps up in the drum. I have to get this figured out.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #8927
Hud
Knows what a fatty is.

Ok off for a couple of days & I have time to work on my new UDS. What height should I put my grills. I would like to use 2. My charcoal basket is 15 inches tall. Thanks Hud.
Hud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2011, 11:36 PM   #8928
BillywannaQ
Full Fledged Farker

I think the rule of thumb is that the bottom grate should be 24 inches from the bottom of the charcoal basket.
BillywannaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 05:00 AM   #8929
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Thats what I always read. So what if it ends up being 22 or 23. Every drum is different. You get used to how it works. They are all good.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #8930
smokingj
Full Fledged Farker

I went 1.5 inches down from the top for grate #1 and 8 inches for Grate #2. Overall height from top of drum lip to ground is 35 inches and firebox is 3 inches from the bottom at grate level.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #8931
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bo View Post
May be but I'm gonna try without it and see if it gets the temps up in the drum. I have to get this figured out.
Mr. Bo, what size and how many are your intake holes?
For running at 225 you ought to have 0.66 square inches opened. If you are using holes that measure out to 3/4 inches, that's 1 fully opened and another one half way opened. I did read on this post recently that some ball valves might read as 3/4 inch ball valves but somehow actually have a smaller opening.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #8932
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwa View Post
Just throwing out a contrary opinion. Lump is fine to use adds nothing more /less then KF blue. But does it with less ash build up, more heat and less fuel usage. I swapped form KF blue to WG weekend warrior lump and had more stable temp can run hotter and no ash build up killing the heat on long burns. I do cook in a extreme environment so that may be the difference. I don't know, but try it for yourself makeup your own mind :)

pwa
What I have is Stubs lump coals. And I started it the same way I start the KF blue; put some in a chimney, light that and let it stop smoking and flaming, then dump onto unlit coals in the drum. I usually put the flavored wood and meat in the drum right away. Doing that procedure without a doubt creates that nasty smelling smoke.

Bubblehead mentioned to let it burn in the drum for like 15 mins and then it was a clear smoke. I will try it, but I came after 1 hour of my method and still it was nasty smoke. But perhaps Stubs lump coals are not the same as what you are using?

I'm thoroughly confused and can't see how it's possible that there is such variation on people's experience on this.

Are you waiting for the lump coals to be white before cooking?

Old 11-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #8933
Hud
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks guys I'm on it!
Hud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #8934
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
What I have is Stubs lump coals. And I started it the same way I start the KF blue; put some in a chimney, light that and let it stop smoking and flaming, then dump onto unlit coals in the drum. I usually put the flavored wood and meat in the drum right away. Doing that procedure without a doubt creates that nasty smelling smoke.

Bubblehead mentioned to let it burn in the drum for like 15 mins and then it was a clear smoke. I will try it, but I came after 1 hour of my method and still it was nasty smoke. But perhaps Stubs lump coals are not the same as what you are using?

I'm thoroughly confused and can't see how it's possible that there is such variation on people's experience on this.

Are you waiting for the lump coals to be white before cooking?

I normally put golf ball size junk in chimney about half full, let it set for 10 mins, then lite off basket give it 20 mins to 30 mins then add meat. Here is a pre pic and a pic after I pulled the turkey off hope it helps.

pwa

pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #8935
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwa View Post
I normally put golf ball size junk in chimney about half full, let it set for 10 mins, then lite off basket give it 20 mins to 30 mins then add meat. Here is a pre pic and a pic after I pulled the turkey off hope it helps.

pwa
I see. So to get this right, you let the coals in the chimney burn about 10 mins, and then you dump that into the drum, and let that burn 20-30 mins?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #8936
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
I see. So to get this right, you let the coals in the chimney burn about 10 mins, and then you dump that into the drum, and let that burn 20-30 mins?
I've always had great success doing it that way. 12-15 briqs in chimney, light and let em get completely ashed over, then dump on top of basket of unlit coals (or lump which works great for me). Go inside and start prepping meat, check on the UDS and start closing intakes down 50 degrees before my desired cooking temp. Within 20-30 minutes, it's purring along at desired cooking temp and putting out thin blue to invisible smoke.

I've done 12 hour cooks @ 275 with lump, and never had a problem flavor wise. Also, mesquite lump for a long cook will not be nearly as clean tasting as using oak lump, since mesquite is a much stronger smoking wood to begin with. I try to avoid buying mesquite lump for that reason. If you can find B&B oak lump, I highly recommend it for the UDS.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #8937
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Mr. Bo, what size and how many are your intake holes?
For running at 225 you ought to have 0.66 square inches opened. If you are using holes that measure out to 3/4 inches, that's 1 fully opened and another one half way opened. I did read on this post recently that some ball valves might read as 3/4 inch ball valves but somehow actually have a smaller opening.
There are 4 intake holes. The ID of the 3 nipples is 5/8" and the ball valve my be a bit smaller but not sure. I can't get it up to temp with all of them open.

Exhaust is a 1 7/8" chrome stack. Thinking maybe not enough exhaust, I drilled 4 more 3/4" holes in the lid after the first burn didn't do as expected. No better the second time after drilling the holes.

Charcoal basket is 17" diameter and 12" tall. It just barely clears the rack hangers and thermometer tip.
Traeger Lil Pig

Old 11-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #8938
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bo View Post
Charcoal basket is 17" diameter and 12" tall. It just barely clears the rack hangers and thermometer tip.
If your therm tip is that far on the outside of the drum, it's not reading actual temps at center of cooking grate. you could be reading as much as 50 degrees too low. But still, even then only being able to get up to 260 with all intakes open doesn't seem right.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #8939
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

yep, and never had a problem with flavor or ash in/on the food, cooked a turkey for 15 people every one loved it! I had zero left overs on a 18.5 lb bird.

Hope that helps
pwa
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #8940
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
If your therm tip is that far on the outside of the drum, it's not reading actual temps at center of cooking grate. you could be reading as much as 50 degrees too low. But still, even then only being able to get up to 260 with all intakes open doesn't seem right.
i think you just solved my problem El Ropo. I started the UDS up this afternoon and put my digital probe on the cooking grate. Ten minutes after I dumped half a chimney on the coals the Tru_Temp in the side of the drum was at 150 but the Nu-Temp digital on the cooking grate was at 250. Within another few minutes it was at 367 so I capped three nipples and closed the ball valve about half way. Thirty minutes later it was holding around 350. The Mrs. and I went for a ride for about an hour and came home to the same temp. I put together a 2# fatty stuffed with pepperoni, pearl onions and cheese and threw it on with six 2" thick pork chops and all is well!
Thanks!!!!!!
Traeger Lil Pig

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker