MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
Rub-A-Dub
Full Fledged Farker

Default Turkey Frier

Just scored a turkey frier and I have a problem. I have never used one and never have fried a turkey. I'm needing some instrutions on how to fry this thing. Have eaten them many time but never cooked one. Should I injected it, brine it, Your help will save a turkey. Thanks.

1 Smoke-N-Pit offset
1 UDS!!
1 Turkey Fryer
1 Homebuilt reverse flow
1 18" Weber
Rub-A-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

First make sure you are not near any structures that may be flammable. You will need to estimate how much oil to put into your pot. Put your turkey in the pot and fill with water until the turkey is covered. Next remove the turkey and this will give you an approximate level for you to put oil in the pot. If there is a way to mark it on the pot or use a disposable stick to mark the level of the water and then fill the water to that level.

I normally inject a turkey when I fry one. Be warned that injections with spices do not distribute well and there will be pockets of spices in the meat.

I have not brined a turkey before, but my thinking is that the turkey will develop a crust and not lose the juices.

Heat your oil to 375*. Slowly, very slowly, lower the turkey into the oil. The oil will boil up through the cavity so be careful on this step. This is the step where a fire can occur, because the oil can boil over the side of the pot and onto the open flame below.

I think it should cook 3-4 minutes/lb. After that amount of time has elapsed start checking the temp of the breast and thigh and take out at 165*

Hope this helps.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Read all of these:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...01&postcount=6

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
Paulie G.
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm with Bryan. I've brined and injected. I like brining better.
Klose custom 28'x7' Golf Pro Classic mobile pit.
Paulie G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
JamesB
is one Smokin' Farker

I like to inject a cajun butter concoction... Inject at least the night before to let the injection liquid migrate through the meat. If you inject and the cook too soon, you will get pockets of injection surrounded by mushy meat...

I start my turk frying oil at 350° and then try to maintain about 325°-350°...

James.
JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
I like to inject a cajun butter concoction... Inject at least the night before to let the injection liquid migrate through the meat. If you inject and the cook too soon, you will get pockets of injection surrounded by mushy meat...

I start my turk frying oil at 350° and then try to maintain about 325°-350°...

James.
I used Tony Chachere Creole Butter and Jalepeno.

Good Stuff

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
acorette
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
First make sure you are not near any structures that may be flammable. You will need to estimate how much oil to put into your pot. Put your turkey in the pot and fill with water until the turkey is covered. Next remove the turkey and this will give you an approximate level for you to put oil in the pot. If there is a way to mark it on the pot or use a disposable stick to mark the level of the water and then fill the water to that level.
I think he meant "mark the level of the water, dump out the water and fill with OIL to that level."

Sorry, I'm detail oriented; wifey calls it something else....

Custom Southern Yankee rotisserie trailer towed by the 8-Ball RV
Brinkmann Cimarron, Weber One Touch Gold (22.5), Camp Chef 2 burner stove + Griddle, 10, 16 and 20 qt Dutch ovens, Scottims Pit Grille
acorette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
ricksegers
Full Fledged Farker

Default Turkey Frying

One thing I do from a safety standpoint. I turn the flame off before putting the turkey in the oil. That way you don't risk oil and open flame mixing. Re-light it once the bird is in and all is right with the world.

Just my 2 cents

Rick
ricksegers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
augie
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice tip Rick!

Obviously one you didn't come up with while drinking...

(At least none of the ideas I come up with while drinking appear to be that sound!)

WSM
Weber 22.5" Kettle (2X)
augie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
bbqbull
Watching over us.

When I deepfry turkeys, I place the burner on a good sized piece of thick plywood underneath the burner to help stabilize it. Normaly set in out in the lawn away from anything flammable.
Dont want that thing to tip over and burn ya. Wear long pants and work boots as well.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #11
motor mouth
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksegers View Post
One thing I do from a safety standpoint. I turn the flame off before putting the turkey in the oil. That way you don't risk oil and open flame mixing. Re-light it once the bird is in and all is right with the world.

Just my 2 cents

Rick
Now why did I not think of that? Good move Rick.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #12
bdgr
Got Wood.

I alway slower the bird in, then as it starts to foam up around bird lift ti back out. Repeat until the bird is up to temp and it doesnt try to boil over.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
motor mouth
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgr View Post
I alway slower the bird in, then as it starts to foam up around bird lift ti back out. Repeat until the bird is up to temp and it doesnt try to boil over.
Same here, it takes a good couple minutes to get the entire thing in the oil.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #14
SmokinCoyote
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub-A-Dub View Post
Just scored a turkey frier and I have a problem. I have never used one and never have fried a turkey. I'm needing some instrutions on how to fry this thing. Thanks.
I made this several years ago on another list when the main topic was frying turkeys. Pay close attention to commandment #8.

The Ten Commandments of Frying Turkeys

1) Don't get too big a turkey. The average pot that comes with these frying kits will hold about a 14 to 18 pound turkey. If that isn't enough do two turkeys instead of trying to pack a huge one in a little pot.

2) Always fry your turkey outside on a flat even surface. Don't let kids or pets around while you are cooking. It might be a good idea to find a chair for drunk uncle Bubba to sit in also.

3) Be prepared in case of an accident. Fire extinguisher...good idea. Water hose...probably bad idea. If the pot tumps over and catches fire, where is the burning oil going to go??? Under your car? Down through the gaps between the boards of your wooden deck? It is best to do this out in the yard or on a driveway. Get a piece of plywood to set it on and that will help keep splattering oil of off your grass or driveway.

4) Know how much oil you will need. Don't fill the pot up and get it to 365° and then try to put a turkey in it. If you do then you need to re-read #3 because about 1/2 of that oil will leave the pot. A good tried and true way of figuring the amount of oil is the water method. Put the raw turkey in the pot and fill it with water just until the turkey is almost underwater. Now take the turkey out and mark where the water level is. That is the mount of oil you will need.

5) Get rid of all the water. Before you fill the pot with oil dry it as good as you can. That goes the same for the turkey. Pat it dry with paper towels. Shake it around to get the water out of the cavity. Hot oil and water do not mix very well.

6) Use good clean oil. Peanut oil is usually the preferred oil in that in can withstand the higher temp.'s better then other oils. Regular oil can be used but I spend the couple extra bucks and get peanut oil. You can use it for quite a while if you take care of it. Get a filter of some kind and use it. They can be bought all over the place and are made just for this. I found that coffee filters do not work unless you have about 6 days to kill filtering oil.

7) Wear thick leather gloves. When you are lowering that turkey into the oil you will get some splattering so expect it. Our natural instinct when something very hot hits our hand is to pull it away. Ok...you get splattered... you let go of turkey to pull hand away...turkey now PLUNGES into boiling oil...you are on your way to the hospital to get new skin on both of your legs. Just get some good thick gloves. Also watch out for the cavity opening that is sticking up. Oil will gush out of that like a volcano.
TURN THE FIRE OFF. This has to be the one thing I really try to do. After you get the oil up to temp. and are ready to lower the turkey in turn the burner of first. 99% of the time you will have some oil splash over the side. With the fire off all you got now is a little mess (but you have a piece of plywood down just for the messes, right) instead of the possibility of a flare up. Once the turkey is in and the oil has settled down re-light the burner. Remember, you do not have to have the flame at it highest. Once the oil heats up it doesn't take too much to keep it hot with the exception of real cold outside temp. and wind. That is just something you will have to figure out.
9) Go slow. Don't just try to lower the turkey in the oil in a few seconds. Take your time. Lower it in a couple of inches and then raise it up just a little. Lower it in a little farther and then back up a little. When the turkey is a little over half way in kind tilt it a little to each side. This will let any air pockets out and you won't have a big splash of oil when an air bubble comes out. Never leave the turkey by itself. Always have someone there watching (except drunk uncle Bubba) just in case something happens. Going slow also applies to taking the turkey out. Don't just yank it out and splash oil on everyone who will now be out there wondering when it will be ready. Take it out slow and let the oil drain out of the cavity back into the pot. Make sure that you have the turkey high enough so that it won't hit the lip of the pot when you swing it around to sit it on something.

10) Know when the turkey is done. The general rule is 3.5 minutes per pound. That usually works real well but I take the internal temp. also. I will raise it up ( or have someone else raise it) about 1/2 way out of the oil and take the temp. in the breast. It should read 165° to 170° and I will consider that bird done. Take it out and let it sit for about 15 minutes and carve it up.
It ain't real Q until that precise moment, while watching the sunrise through a wisp of sweet smelling blue smoke, that a tough brisket finally surrenders itself to the gentle heat of an all wood fire and becomes a tender, juicy, smokey masterpiece.
Wiley "SmokinCoyote" Mixon
Klose 20 X 60 mobile
UDS
WSM
Red Thermapen

SmokinCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #15
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCoyote View Post
I made this several years ago on another list when the main topic was frying turkeys. Pay close attention to commandment #8.

The Ten Commandments of Frying Turkeys

1) Don't get too big a turkey. The average pot that comes with these frying kits will hold about a 14 to 18 pound turkey. If that isn't enough do two turkeys instead of trying to pack a huge one in a little pot.

2) Always fry your turkey outside on a flat even surface. Don't let kids or pets around while you are cooking. It might be a good idea to find a chair for drunk uncle Bubba to sit in also.

3) Be prepared in case of an accident. Fire extinguisher...good idea. Water hose...probably bad idea. If the pot tumps over and catches fire, where is the burning oil going to go??? Under your car? Down through the gaps between the boards of your wooden deck? It is best to do this out in the yard or on a driveway. Get a piece of plywood to set it on and that will help keep splattering oil of off your grass or driveway.

4) Know how much oil you will need. Don't fill the pot up and get it to 365° and then try to put a turkey in it. If you do then you need to re-read #3 because about 1/2 of that oil will leave the pot. A good tried and true way of figuring the amount of oil is the water method. Put the raw turkey in the pot and fill it with water just until the turkey is almost underwater. Now take the turkey out and mark where the water level is. That is the mount of oil you will need.

5) Get rid of all the water. Before you fill the pot with oil dry it as good as you can. That goes the same for the turkey. Pat it dry with paper towels. Shake it around to get the water out of the cavity. Hot oil and water do not mix very well.

6) Use good clean oil. Peanut oil is usually the preferred oil in that in can withstand the higher temp.'s better then other oils. Regular oil can be used but I spend the couple extra bucks and get peanut oil. You can use it for quite a while if you take care of it. Get a filter of some kind and use it. They can be bought all over the place and are made just for this. I found that coffee filters do not work unless you have about 6 days to kill filtering oil.

7) Wear thick leather gloves. When you are lowering that turkey into the oil you will get some splattering so expect it. Our natural instinct when something very hot hits our hand is to pull it away. Ok...you get splattered... you let go of turkey to pull hand away...turkey now PLUNGES into boiling oil...you are on your way to the hospital to get new skin on both of your legs. Just get some good thick gloves. Also watch out for the cavity opening that is sticking up. Oil will gush out of that like a volcano.
TURN THE FIRE OFF. This has to be the one thing I really try to do. After you get the oil up to temp. and are ready to lower the turkey in turn the burner of first. 99% of the time you will have some oil splash over the side. With the fire off all you got now is a little mess (but you have a piece of plywood down just for the messes, right) instead of the possibility of a flare up. Once the turkey is in and the oil has settled down re-light the burner. Remember, you do not have to have the flame at it highest. Once the oil heats up it doesn't take too much to keep it hot with the exception of real cold outside temp. and wind. That is just something you will have to figure out.
9) Go slow. Don't just try to lower the turkey in the oil in a few seconds. Take your time. Lower it in a couple of inches and then raise it up just a little. Lower it in a little farther and then back up a little. When the turkey is a little over half way in kind tilt it a little to each side. This will let any air pockets out and you won't have a big splash of oil when an air bubble comes out. Never leave the turkey by itself. Always have someone there watching (except drunk uncle Bubba) just in case something happens. Going slow also applies to taking the turkey out. Don't just yank it out and splash oil on everyone who will now be out there wondering when it will be ready. Take it out slow and let the oil drain out of the cavity back into the pot. Make sure that you have the turkey high enough so that it won't hit the lip of the pot when you swing it around to sit it on something.

10) Know when the turkey is done. The general rule is 3.5 minutes per pound. That usually works real well but I take the internal temp. also. I will raise it up ( or have someone else raise it) about 1/2 way out of the oil and take the temp. in the breast. It should read 165° to 170° and I will consider that bird done. Take it out and let it sit for about 15 minutes and carve it up.
# 8 is fire off I assume?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote