Why is Cowboy Charcoal Everywhere

I live in Kansas City and all i can find is Cowboy lump iv been using it in my uds but i don't like it at all, Trader Joe's will have their natural bricks for sale soon I want to give them a try, or does anyone have a better option for me? Also my uds runs at 300 with all valves closed could it be the Cowboy? I know its sealed good if i put a can over the chimney it drops down?

Royal Oak is available from the DoItBest hardware stores. There are several stores in KC.

http://www.doitbest.com/Main.aspx

We should start a contest to see who gets the largest and/or oddest foreign material in a bag of Cowboy. But that would mean we'd have to buy it. :tsk:

Hyvee has a good lump charcoal, can't remember the brand but iIuse it in my ceramic with no problems.

i have only seen mesquite at SAMs would be to strong for a long smoke

And it burns a lot faster then oak lump, B&B oak lump is a good charcoal source RO is also good I do find weird stuff in RO a lot but still buy it. If you want a good briquette charcoal you should go to Lowes and buy some Stubbs about 9 bucks for 15# bag good stuff.

And it burns a lot faster then oak lump, B&B oak lump is a good charcoal source RO is also good I do find weird stuff in RO a lot but still buy it. If you want a good briquette charcoal you should go to Lowes and buy some Stubbs about 9 bucks for 15# bag good stuff.

I like the Stubb's briquettes too. I like RO lump and I have found small rocks in the bag a few times and an occasional piece of scrap lumber. No big deal. I use Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Lump once in a while too, but the store that carries it near me is very expensive, 24.99 for a 20lb bag.

I also find Cowboy in most of my hardware stores. Try going to Walmart. They sell Royal Oak Lump which is very good. Make sure it is RO that is Made in the USA as that seems to be the best quality. Regular old Kingsford briquettes work well, unless you are dead set on lump. Naked Whiz has reviews of most lump charcoal out on the market, which can be very helpful if you see some bags of lump that you have never heard of. Again, though, you cannot go wrong with RO lump.

As far as the heat goes, my guess is you are starting with too much lump in your chimney. Assuming you are using the Minion Method, you should only be dropping a couple lit pieces of lump into the charcoal basket. If you are using briquettes you should not need more than 10-15 briquettes. For lump, depending on the size, I try and use maybe 4-5 medium size chunks. The more lit charcoal you start off with, the harder it will be to maintain a low temperature.

Hope this helps.

I glad I came across this as I have been having difficulties keeping a long burn on a full basket of lump/charcoal. I am only getting 3-4 hours on a basket and am trying to get longer times.....

I live in Kansas City and all i can find is Cowboy lump iv been using it in my uds but i don't like it at all, Trader Joe's will have their natural bricks for sale soon I want to give them a try, or does anyone have a better option for me? Also my uds runs at 300 with all valves closed could it be the Cowboy? I know its sealed good if i put a can over the chimney it drops down?

As mentioned in another thread, lump can cause issues in a UDS. Have you tried with regular briqs? Right now, Home Depot is running a sale on Kingsford. I use KB in my UDS with no issues and I stock up when they run sales. I just found it works better with maintaining consistent temps. Your mileage may vary.

I'm not from KC but my son lives there, we went to Oklahoma Joes there (get the Zman sandwich) and next door was a BBQ store, I'm sure they have or could get anything you want....we bought some rubs, good stuff..

I'm not from KC but my son lives there, we went to Oklahoma Joes there (get the Zman sandwich) and next door was a BBQ store, I'm sure they have or could get anything you want....we bought some rubs, good stuff..

Howdy to Radcliff from your neighbor in Oldham County. :mrgreen:

I glad I came across this as I have been having difficulties keeping a long burn on a full basket of lump/charcoal. I am only getting 3-4 hours on a basket and am trying to get longer times.....

Use the minion method. I can get 12+ burn on an 8lb bag of RO with the minion method on my uds. There are plenty of threads on the minion method here. Just use the search or youtube. Basically just dump some lit coal on top of your unlit coals, preferably in the center. You can layer the wood chunks in the coals or throw them in a circle around the lit coals. The charcoal will last longer because the lit coals are placed on top and have to burn all the way down before setting off the coals below instead of them being on the bottom where all the coals catch early on.

I've been using Kingsford Comp briqs our UDS's for the last 2 years and have been quite happy. Relights w/o issue and a good deal at Costco. I bought a few bags of Trader Joe's when it was on sale last summer. No bad smell, but it took a lot longer to get it going than I was used to. As a result, I used it up in the backyard and stuck with Kingsford when competing.

If I have the cash WG is what i like the best, you can find a retail from here http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/retail_locations.htm. I find the Sams lump burns way to fast, if I open my FB while burning it goes nuts, blue flaming on me. BGE coal is always a good one too but again a little on the spendy side, I guess you get what you pay for. I recently started trying the Stubbs and have been impressed so far.

Back