MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:05 AM   #2986
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I have had my Pit Boss for over a year and it has been great, lot of different prices out there and different controllers. I went with a $500 unit and it serves the purpose for me. I don't bash any of them and have no hate on the different brands, they are like cars, good and bad and any of them can have a problem. wanted a rec tec but was 2x higher than the budget I set for my self. I never see those brick seeker deals folks brag about even though I have went and looked, ymmv lol

Old 09-02-2019, 07:08 AM   #2987
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

The cheapest I’ve seen at the store was a pitboss 5 series for $300. I think they retail at $475

Old 09-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #2988
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose52 View Post
so, seriously now. i see other threads where guys talk about end of the season sales and 50% (or more) off deals. i'm assuming these can be had at the big box stores trying to reduce inventory. does buying from a box store mean lower end brands? or a cheaper build with a name brand emblem slapped on? off the top of my head i guess i'll be looking at getting a grilla or a GMG. i know you get what you pay for but i'm one of those guys who wants decent (middle of the road) quality at the low end price! is that possible when buying a pooper?
Sure, a GMG or a pit boss is a great choice!

We’ve had the Daniel Boone a little less than a year and have cooked a ton on it! Only one auger jam but by tapping on the feed tube while turning the controller on and off it cleared easy. Other than that is just been vacuuming out and dumping pellets in!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #2989
ChrisFitz
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Chris

Please forgive me in advance if this post rambles on.

That being said, I currently own a Weber gasser, almost 13 years old, a Weber Performer with gas assist, and a 18" WSM, that I built out of spare or cheap parts that I found in various groups and message boards.

I am considering selling the WSM, and putting that money towards a pellet grill I did not use the WSM nearly as much as I thought I would, and think I would use a pellet grill more often than the WSM.

I am considering the following the brands, Green Mountain, Camp Chef, Grilla. Any others I should consider? Customer service and part availability are important to me. I see Traeger all over the place, but have seen mixed reviews, and in the stores seem very light weight, now granted I have not seen the others that I have mentioned, so maybe it is the same weight as the others, and I do not know any better. I was basing my choices on the weight of the cooker, figuring the additional weight is in the cooker.

Im not planning on buying anything until the spring, now that summer has come to an end here in Jersey, it is Labor Day, so break out the pumpkins and Halloween stuff...lol
ChrisFitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #2990
4ever3

As I stated above, GMG and pit boss is the two I would look at.
I can’t speak to the pit boss customer service but I can tell you GMG is awesome!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #2991
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Take a look at Assassin pellet grills also. I have a 36” and love it. They also make a 48”. Since I bought mine they have made them taller so you have the same distance between bottom and top grate and top grate and top of cooker. Have 16 lb brisket on mine right now.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #2992
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

I have the Pit Boss Copperhead 5 and love it. It's a joy to cook on and makes long cooks a breeze. I've used it to smoke jerky, sausage and every meat possible. I also cooked Shake-N-Bake chicken wings to baked potatoes to stuffed pork chops. I haven't used customer service or the 5 year warranty but everyone on the Facebook page that had a problem reported they were always satisfied if a problem came up. Pit Boss sends out new parts when it goes bad with just an email.

You can't argue with results.

Radrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #2993
redchaserron
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrob View Post
I have the Pit Boss Copperhead 5 and love it. It's a joy to cook on and makes long cooks a breeze. I've used it to smoke jerky, sausage and every meat possible. I also cooked Shake-N-Bake chicken wings to baked potatoes to stuffed pork chops. I haven't used customer service or the 5 year warranty but everyone on the Facebook page that had a problem reported they were always satisfied if a problem came up. Pit Boss sends out new parts when it goes bad with just an email.

Radrob, What temp and duration did you cook the stuffed chops at? I'm going to have to pick up some from Poche's and throw them in the pit the next time I fire it up.
redchaserron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #2994
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchaserron View Post
Radrob, What temp and duration did you cook the stuffed chops at? I'm going to have to pick up some from Poche's and throw them in the pit the next time I fire it up.
I can't remember the temp but I'm sure it was 250. Here's the cook process I used. Reading that thread again it seems like a long time for chops but it worked and they were tender and juicy.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=273053
Radrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-02-2019, 01:44 PM   #2995
ChrisFitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrob View Post

Thanks for the tip, I never even considered a vertical smoker. If I sell the WSM, it is about the same footprint as the WSM, so my wife wont complain about another big grill, and would be easy enough to store in the garage for the winter. Any issues with bad weather or cold weather cooks?

Old 09-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #2996
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Weber is coming out with a pellet grill somewhere near the end of the year, no idea the warranty or details yet but if I was not in a rush I’d wait and see what they offer

Old 09-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #2997
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I haven't used mine much but it works every time. I sold my 2nd Copperhead to a coworker. He uses it as his oven. He won't let the wife use the oven. Best $109 pellet cooker you can buy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #2998
ChrisFitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike243 View Post
Weber is coming out with a pellet grill somewhere near the end of the year, no idea the warranty or details yet but if I was not in a rush I’d wait and see what they offer
From what I have seen, we are talking $1000 plus, which is more than I wanted to spend, though if they slap a 10 yer warranty on it, all parts, then I may consider it.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:05 PM   #2999
ChrisFitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
i haven't used mine much but it works every time. I sold my 2nd copperhead to a coworker. He uses it as his oven. He won't let the wife use the oven. Best $109 pellet cooker you can buy.

Sent from my sm-g955u using tapatalk
$109?

Old 09-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #3000
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFitz View Post
$109?
They go on clearance at Walmart. I bought 2.
https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=876324460

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote