MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #31
Kosmo's Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Giving me the itch to do another build! Looking good. Keep us posted.
Kosmo's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #32
dodgeramsst2003
Full Fledged Farker

Progress is still slow, but at least I'm making some progress. I'm about out of steel at this point, waiting for another quote before making the purchase. So far I have a quote for $0.20/lb which is great, but its a 6 hour round trip to pick it up, so I'm still looking at some more local sources.

I have the door trim on, the handle in place, door stops welded on, and the center channel for the baffle in place and tacked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0250.jpg (93.0 KB, 829 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0251.jpg (79.5 KB, 827 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0252.jpg (78.3 KB, 824 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0256.jpg (69.5 KB, 821 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0257.jpg (57.2 KB, 827 views)
- Homebuilt cold smoker, Cookshack SM008.
- 250 gal oil drum cut and waiting for me to build it
- (3) more 250 gal oil drums waiting for me to go get them.
- Custom offset in progress.
Link To The Build: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=71893
dodgeramsst2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #33
GratefulSmoker
On the road to being a farker

It's gettin there! Looks great so far!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#00ff00][URL="http://www.smokinandfarmin.wordpress.com"][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=black][U]Team Name:[/U][/COLOR] New Pigs On The Block BBQ[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff0000][U][COLOR=black]Smokers:[/COLOR][/U] FEC100, 4 x Weber Kettles 22.5, 1951 Hasty Bake project, Hasty Bake Ranger[/COLOR][/SIZE]
GratefulSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #34
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Lookin good! Keep posting those pics! =)

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #35
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Lookin good! Keep posting those pics! =)

Yep...keep posting!
I love build pics!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #36
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looking good, brother. Yes, please keep us posted!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #37
puddle jumper
Got Wood.

Looks good, really nice work,,,
Im building one right now, I'm amazed at how much work goes into a builds like this,,,
Puddle
puddle jumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #38
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Just a quick word of advice on this build is keep an eye on your axe and spring weights. We all want a pit but we also want it to be safe especially if you are planning to actually tow this on the road. I can see in your posted pictures that your leaf springs are squashed flat and your firebox is not mounted yet or your end cap stacks or grates let alone any small parts you install you are looking at a minimum of 200+ lbs. before you get wood on there. I say this because I've seen the effects of overloading a trailer in tow and it's not pretty.

I would seriously have it inspected by a trailer mechanic before taking it on the road. Just my $.02. Now carry on!

Old 11-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #39
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

Those doors look heavy! Are you planning on any type of counter weight to keep them from slamming down?
countyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #40
gtsum
Babbling Farker

looks like you are making great progress!
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #41
dodgeramsst2003
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I guess I need to address a few questions/concerns here. I'm not sure what picture you can actually see the leaf springs in well enough to make a call on it, but they aren't anywhere near sqashed flat, it must be the angle of the picture. The weight of what is on the trailer right now isn't even anywhere near the weight of the machine that came off it. I'll have it weighed when I'm finished and will change the springs/axle if need be. The axle is a 1250, or possibly a 1500lb ( only ones offered on a karavan trailer of this size)

On the counter weight issue, I'm not sure yet, I'm considering it. I can lift the door, and it flips up to rest on a couple of stops that I welded on the other day. It would be nice though to be able to lift it effortlessly.

Should have the steel for the firebox in a week or so, just waiting for the mill to shear it to size for me. I'm going today to pickup some angle iron from a guy on craigslist. 100 ft of 1x1 for $40. Not a bad deal.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #42
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=dodgeramsst2003;1092550]
On the counter weight issue, I'm not sure yet, I'm considering it. I can lift the door, and it flips up to rest on a couple of stops that I welded on the other day. It would be nice though to be able to lift it effortlessly.

QUOTE]

First, great looking build.

Second, not concerned about lifting the doors, its about them slamming back down. I came very close to losing my hand as a kid when the door of my uncle's homemade pit slammed closed. If the door had slammed down on my fingers instead of my wrist, I surely would have lost them. It was a very nasty injury. He was proud of that pit, but the next day he cut it in half with a torch and hauled it to the dump.
Something to consider.
countyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #43
dodgeramsst2003
Full Fledged Farker

County,

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought about it slamming closed. I was contemplating instead of using a counterweight, adding a spring assist, that would reside beside/under the main chamber and attach to the door with a set of steel cables. After having the thought of it slamming closed on my hands brought to my attention, I will definitely add some sort of assist to it.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 11-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #44
dodgeramsst2003
Full Fledged Farker

Default Made some progress today

Well, I made some progress today, got the baffle in for the most part, just have a couple of the edge trim pieces to put in. I pieced it together out of scrap that I had to save some money. I laid down a lot of welding wire, so I don't know how much I actually saved, but it kept me moving along.

My mom's husband sells steel, so he has ordered the material for the firebox and warming box, although I think I shorted myself the door and top for the warming box, Brain-fart mod. No big deal, I always come up with something. Just to prove that I actually made progress, I've included pictures. The picture looking down the center of the channel makes it look like it is crooked, but its some sort of optical illusion from the welds, I've checked it and it's straight.

I also managed to get the shelf welded onto the side. In hindsight I should have waited on this part, as it gives me an extra 12 inches to hunch over to get to the baffle welding, but does give me a nice place to clamp pieces that need be cut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0263.jpg (53.6 KB, 664 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0264.jpg (52.7 KB, 664 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0266.jpg (72.4 KB, 664 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0271.jpg (44.7 KB, 668 views)

Old 11-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #45
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Will the pit itself will be the sacrificial anode or the trailer?