MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #31
M271
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

M271 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #32
M271

Old 02-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #33
M271

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
Have the CC sales performed enough to offset the cost of a CC system? (Sorry to Hijack)
Yes they have sales are up around 150 a week and that was sales I was missing.. I have a wirless setup works great,
Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #34
jbrodgers
Got Wood.

Exclamation about CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrodgers View Post
no problem, I'd like to know the answer too.
JR
Was meant in regards to the Credit Card machine comment
JR
jbrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #35
jbrodgers
Got Wood.

M271-
Does your HD have any issues w/ using a hoursehold refrigerator vs. an NSF approved one? Not meaning to pick, just curious. I know some state HD's would. I know I can get household alot cheaper, and if I could do it I would too.
Thanks for the pics BTW.
JR
Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #36
M271

no problem at all with that as long as it hold temp below 40
Old 02-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #37
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Most HDs will not allow a non NSF refrigerator, nor would I recommend using one.

You can pick up a good unit for $1200, they are made to easily clean and built to keep large amounts of food cold.

YMMV
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #38
jbrodgers
Got Wood.

IMHO, if a home refer can keep product to proper temp (be it cold or frozed), and can be easily cleaned, I would have no problems w/ using one. I might have to get more than one for capacity sake, but hey, if I can pick up 2 for the price of half of a commercial unit... AND, I can replace/repair, easier/cheaper if needed. Commercial grade isn't always better I have found.
BUT... I know that some folks in some states are only supposed to use NSF refers/freezers... sounds like big govt kick back from the NSF or the commercial manufacturers to me
HOWEVER... I think it would be wise to say, that IF I plan on doing gigs out of state and that state's (whatever it may be) HD requires ONLY NSF w/o exception... then perhaps I should got to the higher level and get the NSF models...just in case...
Old 02-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #39
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

In my county it must be commercial fridge/freezer. They are designed to have quicker recovery from when the doors are opened often as well as easier to clean as per my HD inspector.

If price is an issue, there are other options than the $1200 units. I picked up a used merchandiser cooler. The kind they have the bottled soft drinks by the registers at the grocery store with the glass door. They are commercial and my HD instpector approves them. I have $240 invested in mine. I just need another shelf or 2.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #40
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Going into debt to start a catering business or restaurant when you have no experience is guaranteed to be a loser. Your 'micro' lenders will end up losing and I bet they are relatives so you will not only lose their money but also their friendship. Start with what you can fund yourself and do catering jobs until you build up a following, save your profits and reinvest in the business until you can fund a larger operation.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #41
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

Roadside just doesent have enough customers. Try and get into small fairs and other local events, this will give you confidence in your product and let you monkey around with pricing and profit margins. For my business I need at least 100 sales to make it worth my time and effort. I just started last year and did 3 farmers markets a week. Weather is by far the biggest factor in sales. Even with 3 small markets I probably averaged around $500.00 profit a week. This year more fairs and big events will hopefully increase profits.

[COLOR=red]Rub it till it smokes![/COLOR]
smoke it if ya got it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #42
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I think I've come to believe that this bold statement IS THE foundation and ticket to (outside of your food being good to begin with) building a successful BBQ business.

I do not own a BBQ business myself, nor have I slept at a Holiday Inn. But I know three people who are and two of the three are successful and the other one has been out of business and buried in debt for four years now.

The two successful ones, started out with catering small jobs, then got into concession/vending, built a "clientele" and step by step got to the point where they opened up a small restaurant that has now turned into a not so small.

The other guy dove head first into the deep end of the pool. Took out a ton in loans, spent a ton on overhead with fancy neon lights, beautiful decor in and outside the restaurant and within two years went out of business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkQPine View Post
Going into debt to start a catering business or restaurant when you have no experience is guaranteed to be a loser. Your 'micro' lenders will end up losing and I bet they are relatives so you will not only lose their money but also their friendship. Start with what you can fund yourself and do catering jobs until you build up a following, save your profits and reinvest in the business until you can fund a larger operation.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #43
jbrodgers
Got Wood.

Thanks for the advice porkqpine...
However, I do have experience 19 yrs of food services and 7 of those as Exec Chef. I agree to the not getting in debt and am doin everything I possibly can to lower what debt I may incure. As far as the micro-lenders... they are not Friends or family, they are in fact legit micro lenders recomended by SBA Louisiana.

Mr. "Smoke it"... if roadside doesnt have enough customers, perhaps you may be on the wrong road. This is where detailed research comes in for all aspects of this craft. Thus my purpose for being here... research. I look for the numbers, gather the data (if its shared), then make my forecast/decision.

I know there are many "Q"ers out there who make a decent living working roadside/corners... unless they just really like spendin $$ on product they dont sell, or a hobby that brings in enough $$ for that nights beer run, or are self made wealthy and need something to do to keep from gettin board... then they must be makin at least some $$... or are just REALLY hard up for punishment. Food services are time-taxing and in general, not an easy life, but ya gotta absolutely LOVE what ya do.

We all have different opinions on if this type of venture will work, probably based on one experiece or another, some good some bad, and some just dont want the competition... no matter where they live... it is a cutthroat business, unfortunately.

Fortunately... there are some who make a decent living, love the customers, have good (and bad) experiences, love the comoradery amongst other Qers, and have general well wishes for their close competitors, and ARE willing to help with advice to ther distant "brothers in smoke"

Confidence in my product... go it! This aint my first gig, but it is my first rig on my own.

JR
Old 02-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #44
raco232
Got Wood.

It sounds like you know all about the business........because you have done your research. Then, why are you asking about how many customers you will be having during your hours. Sounds like it will depend on your location, quality of food and your attitude towards the customers. Customers will pick up on attitude towards them quicker than flies on crap!
raco232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #45
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by raco232 View Post
It sounds like you know all about the business........because you have done your research. Then, why are you asking about how many customers you will be having during your hours. Sounds like it will depend on your location, quality of food and your attitude towards the customers. Customers will pick up on attitude towards them quicker than flies on crap!
How true