• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pressurized Marinating.

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I had a theory that it would work, but here is proof!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMQRSJUFuwM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]One Minute Marination/Infusion - Teriyaki Chicken Strips - YouTube[/ame]

I need to make something to try this on a larger scale. I'm thinking maybe a modified pressure cooker.

I bet that if you drilled out for a tire valve in a pressure cooker you could easily pressurize it with a bicycle pump. The existing pressure release valve would keep you from exceeding the recommended pressure for the cooker.

Or just inject it??? I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat, as the saying goes... Cheers!!!

They sell devices called "vacuum tumblers". Restaurants have used them for years. It will brine/marinate meat in minutes instead of hours. It works very well, but they are spendy. I think there is a cheap (relatively) one that was designed for home use but I can't remember the brand name off the top of my head.

I don't think the vacuum devices will work the same way. This is doing the opposite by creating pressure difference between the inside of the bottle and the inside of the meat. The pressure is forcing the liquid surrounding the meat into it until the pressure equalizes. A vacuum is only going to want to draw outward from the meat.

My foodsaver came with a marinating container and a line that attaches to the unit to make the container a vacuum. You can marinate a couple of chicken breasts or steaks in there pretty quickly.

I don't think the vacuum devices will work the same way. This is doing the opposite by creating pressure difference between the inside of the bottle and the inside of the meat. The pressure is forcing the liquid surrounding the meat into it until the pressure equalizes. A vacuum is only going to want to draw outward from the meat.

The vacuum ones work. And does not change the consistency of the meat.

Good point and you are right. Also, depending on how deep you take the vacuum, moisture will start boiling out of the mix. Very Cleaver Q-Dat! :clap2:

One other thing that might be neat to try. Anyone have a old pressure cooker lying around? Even though it uses heat to produce pressure, It might be good for a brisket or whole chicken. Would have to play with the time though.

One other thing that might be neat to try. Anyone have a old pressure cooker lying around? Even though it uses heat to produce pressure, It might be good for a brisket or whole chicken. Would have to play with the time though.

I was thinking maybe use a compression fitting on the stem thats in the lid to pressurize the pot with air and use a small ball valve to lock in the pressure. Then set the whole thing in the fridge for as long as it takes for the marinade to work its way all the way through the meat.

This is basically how they pressure treat lumber. If liquid can make its way all the way through a 2×4, then a brisket or pork butt should be easy.

I posted last year, modified press cooker using an air conditoner evac pump..works great,,the vacuum work on the meat as it draws the cells down and replaced the original moisture in the cells with the marinade..
and yes, a vacuum will reduce the boiling point of a liquid, just opposite of pressure which raises the boiling points..however you will never get to the boiling point at room or fridge temps of 40*...would have to be real "deep"

Are you imagining that the teriyaki sauce is right through the chicken?

Probably not in the amount of time that the guy in the video used, but given long enough I think it would. On a larger cut the pressure might equalize before the marinade makes it all the way to the center, so it might be necessary to release the pressure and build it up again a couple times to get al the way through.

If you wanted to literally reproduce the results from the video, it's much easier to drill an appropriately-sized hole in the center of your plastic pop bottle cap, then use a threaded replacement tire valve from the auto parts store (about a buck). Then fit a hose with air chuck to the pressurized gas of your choice (I might suggest argon instead of CO2, who wants fizzy chicken?) and then you can easily pressurize a soda bottle. Like on this link:
http://truetex.com/carbonation.htm only easier.

I did this. Made lots and lots of soda water at home when my kids were young teenagers. I bought soda concentrates and let them make their own pop. It took about 3 weeks of them filling that 2 cup measuring cup with sugar and pouring it in before they realized that they were killing themselves in sugar. They have never again drank full-on sugared sodas.

metalmagpie

Back