• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What kind of clock do you use at comps?

SCSmoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We have been using our cell phones for comp clocks. They work okay but we probably have thrown away an extra 200 gloves pulling them out of our pockets. Not to mention you can't sync them with the official clock.
So.... what is a good clock? One that has big enough numbers to read easily, battery powered, easy to sync with official clock, and affordable. Thanks!

I used one of these for two years and thought it was great:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-WS-8418U-IT-Digital/dp/B0016MYATS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1356966616&sr=8-8&keywords=lacross+clock"]Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology WS-8418U-IT Atomic Digital Wall Clock with Moon Phase: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

My big complaints: It's overkill. You don't need cycle of the moon or "outdoors temp" for a comp clock. Also, while you can make it display seconds instead of the outdoors temp, it's a few button presses every time you install batteries. I sold it to another competitor because....

I still had this clock on my Amazon wishlist and some one bought it for me:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-WT-8005U-S-Temperature/dp/B002BDV8DC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1356966797&sr=8-7&keywords=lacross+clock"]Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology WT-8005U-S Atomic Digital Wall Clock with Indoor Temperature, Silver: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

It's more affordable, isn't as much overkill, and has seconds by the clock. I haven't used it yet, but I can't imagine it being any worse.

There is a third clock available, that I don't think was around before. It has two temps like the first clock, but no moon, and is the same size as the second one. It only costs $1 more on Amazon, but do you need the display to be crowded? Still, I like these clocks. I recommend either storing the clock somewhere where it can get a signal, or taking out the batteries between comps because not getting a signal will drain the battery.

dmp

EDIT: Maybe you do want outdoor temp if you use an RV or trailer. It would be nice to know the temp when you get up first thing in the morning. I've always competed in an EZ-UP, so the "indoor temp" was the "outdoor temp."

Andrew - My wristwatch, set it with the KCBS judge Friday night, check it again in the AM - Cross check it twice against my cell during the course of the AM on Saturday.

Happy New Year bud!!!

Great idea, this is something I need to add to my comp. supplies. I got my cell phone with alarms/alerts but it's not convenient when your hands are all filthy. I lost track of time (which is easy to do!) at my last comp. and almost got DQd with my rib turn ins.

Atomic Clock from Walmart or Target, approx $25. Can be hung in the comp trailer and also has 2 legs so it can be set on a table. Has big numbers to read easily and always dead on with the reps clocks.

If you are in a NC BBQ Society event you can just use a sundial. We did an event last year where the organizer (head of NCBS) went and bought a clock at walmart the night before.

He didn't spare any expense. He bought one that not only had an hours hand but it also had a minutes hand and a seconds hand!

Yep, the La Crosse one that dmp & Ronelle use is great. I've got one for home & one in the RV.

I use the usual $20 atomic clock on the prep table. It so nice to have a clock that is easy to see at any time to see if there is anything you need to be doing (rubbing, foiling, brining, putting on meat, etc).

Just an old el'cheapo analog one... check it on Saturday morning with the atomic and cell phone, and good to go... just pull the battery out after your done using it, and it will be ready for the next time. Been using it abt 8 yrs now and has never let me down....

Attachments

• 100_1781.jpg
    100_1781.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 255
I use my cell. I have discovered that Verizon time = atomic clock time...... at least on the clock the Grinstead's carry around.

I use this. It syncs with the atomic clock every morning, and it's always exact to the second!

Attachments

• casio watch.jpg
    casio watch.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 153
Back