My attempt at making bacon

AJP

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Had a friend that butchered a pig and was just going to let the butcher keep the bellies. I found out and he gave them to me. This is my first try so I followed a very simple method I found in Charcuterie. I got a total of 4 bellies and this is the first test run will play with the flavors after this, also might try prosciutto.

1/4 cup kosher salt
2 tsp pink salt
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup

Mix all the ingredients and cover the pork belly with it. Wrap in saran wrap and put it in the fridge for 7 days flipping every other day. After 7 days I plan to smoke it at 200 until it is 150 internal. I will then slice it up and I got bacon.

43020009.jpg

59421285.jpg

34746867.jpg

68086547.jpg

That's how it's done!

Can't wait to see the result!

Cheers!

Bill

Such a tease :becky: Now I have to wait :hungry:

You arent far away come on by next week and we can enjoy :becky:

But how do you think I feel it is in the garage fridge right next to the barley pops so I have to see it like 10 times a day. :shocked:

Started by rinsing the meat last night and leaving in the fridge. Woke up this morning and got to work. Fired the smoker up to 200 and smoked my creation till it was a nice 150 internal.

Looks good here, cut the skin off and I have a slab of bacon, now I need to figure out how to slice it thin. I cut a small piece off and fried it up, amazing is all I can say.

20110621151833414.jpg

I like thick cut but even my thinnest cut will be to thick I fear.

I like thick cut but even my thinnest cut will be to thick I fear.

There is no such thing as "too thick".

Thin sliced "supermarket" bacon is of the devil!:twisted::cool::becky:

Did you get some fat back (or back fat) to use in sausage? Great stuff! Pork fat definitely RULES!

Wow! I bet that's really something. Without the Nitrates etc of commercailly produced bacon.

Wow! I bet that's really something. Without the Nitrates etc of commercailly produced bacon.

Ummmm....pink salt #1 is in his cure. If used as directed cure #1 or #2 (#2 is for dry cured/non cooked curing) are safe and effectively control/prevent botulism. they are also responsible for the "pink" color and "hammy" taste of cured meats!!

Use of nitrates/nitrites is closely monitored and regulated.

Ruhlman's book has a great discussion on the use of curing salts.

You could use tenderquick I bet, but I wanted to follow the recipe I had.

Make no mistake. I wish I had that bacon. Makes me want to try it.

Back