• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoking chicken

BayoustateBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Quick question. Been smoking chicken for years and I always lightly rub first with oil for crispy skin. In your opinion can oil block some of the smoke penetration?

I'm no expert , but I would say no. I mean , like you , I've smoked a bunch of chicken and I usually brush some oil on and I get plenty of smoke flavor. So I wouldn't worry over it.

I also would say no. As "Hambone1950" said, as long as you have the smoke flavor you want, then it is perfectly done to your taste.

Nothing else matters after that point.

I have done without oil and the skin came out dry. I would use a light coat of oil. I find it is really easy to get too much smoke with chicken and hickory for me comes out too strong so I will typically use apple or cherry.

Thanks, just curious. I've always dome with oil and just wondering if anyone had done anything different. I usually use pecan or apple wood myself. I will say this, after we have had our dinner, anything left goes in a bag and we eat AWESOME chicken sandwiches during the week.

No fat carries flavor and if your temp is right aids in browning and crisping the skin.

many folks don't consider decent poultry temps as "smoking". More like grilling or bbqing. If you are cooking your poultry lower than 325 F, you're missing out. I actually prefer something closer to 375 for chix.

You can still lay some smoke on the meat, but it gets done in a hurry. Don't understand people who smoke birds for 4 hours. Just crazy.

i usually start my chicken at 225* for 2 hours , then finish it to temp at 350*-375* , no oil on the skin for me , im not a skin eater

This is pure speculation .. I would think the oil would help retain the smoke flavor on skin of the chicken ...

This is pure speculation .. I would think the oil would help retain the smoke flavor on skin of the chicken ...

you know , i almost said that very thing....it makes sense to me. smoke is particles and particles will stick to oil.

Get back to us when you've done a cook at 350+. We'll talk then.

Best parts of a chicken the Thighs and the Skin when it is cooked crispy like chicharons.

Smoky Chicken (yum) No oil, just natural basting:

9ffaf278.jpg

I wouldn't think so since the fat under the skin doesn't block smoke, and veggie oil is basically just fat too. The oil is far thinner in thickness than that fat layer on the chicken too.

Back