Corned Beef Brisky & Spares (Heavy Pron)

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
While looking around at the local Costco for something to cook & enter in the Where's Your Green Throwdown, this caught my eye:
IMG_7475.jpg

At $4.79/lb, I figured this is likely a rare opportunity for me to try some wagyu. Some of these SRF flats had some incredible marbling but were pretty thin. This one had a nice uniform thickness. I remembered that corned beef points were on sale at Safeway so I decided to grab one of them as well:
IMG_7470.jpg

I have zero experience cooking corned beef in any way but read some very informative posts by Brothers Thirdeye & Landarc about them and knew I had to soak these in water for a while to remove some of the salt. Here they are after 48 hrs of soaking and with a rub (Thirdeye's recipe) applied:
IMG_7494.jpg

Since I had so much space left in the XL BGE, I decided I would toss in some spares that I could enter into the Spareribs "Masters" Throwdown. I got to work trimming them into St. Louis cut spares:
IMG_7485.jpg

Pulled out some fine rubs made by Brothers (left to right): Ryan Chester, Big Brother Smoke, and Plowboy:
IMG_7488.jpg

Seasoned the ribs:
IMG_7492.jpg

Loaded up Jabba with the meats, hickory chunks, and cooked away at about 240 degrees & glazed with a Blues Hog Original/Red & Big Butz Original sauce mix:
IMG_7505.jpg

IMG_7525.jpg

Gave the ribs the old bend test:
IMG_7527.jpg

Sliced up the spares:
IMG_7537.jpg

IMG_7538.jpg

And gave them the taste test:
IMG_7513.jpg

I needed some veggies to go with the corned beef so I put some carrots, red potatoes, cabbage, beef broth and some corned beef drippings into a dutch oven and stuck it into the Egg:
IMG_7544.jpg

Eventually everything finished up and rested and I sliced up the point:
IMG_7551.jpg

and the flat:
IMG_7556.jpg

and served up a small plate for myself (I was already pretty full from eating ribs):
IMG_7569.jpg

I was a little surprised at how salty the corned beef was despite giving them a long soak with a few changes of the water. Not too salty for me & still tasty but definitely a little saltier than my normal briskets.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
What an awesome looking display of Q! I am really glad your are my neighbor. John was kind enough to let me sample.......oh pretty much everything. My whole family was able to participate in a blind taste test of the ribs and tonight we did a comparison of the corned beef/pastrami. Real good stuff and great PRoN!

John-
Fantastic looking food as always!
Exceptional camera work.
Smoked Corn beef rocks but is usually super salty for my taste.
Excellent cook! :becky:

:jaw:Dayum... those spares were lined up like Radio City Rockettes...
Beautiful color, sheen, everything... I wish I could get my ribs lookin' like that.

I need to come over there and learn how you keep getting those amazing rings off of that Egg.

Sure but I don't always get this nice of rings! I'm trying to think of what I did that likely contributed...
- I didn't let the ribs sit out of the fridge too long
- Cooked at a little lower temps than my usual (I'm usually cooking ribs @ 270-290 range) - these were cooked in the 240-255 range with the racks on the upper grill in the upper end of the range
- Loaded the Egg pretty full with Wicked Good & 6 decent sized chunks of hickory
- had the DFMT open probably about 3/8" with the Stoker supplying the air on the bottom

Sometimes my flash can wash out some of the ring in pics so on some of the pics I bounced the flash off the ceiling and it seemed to give a more true color.

Did you use the Adjustable Rig for this cook?

I wish I had the new Adjustable Rig for the XL BGE but I don't. The 2nd tier is the BGE product and isn't adjustable at all. The AR for the XL wasn't made at the time I was shopping for another level.

• Thanks
Reactions: Bar
Looks good! Seems you like to bounce your flash off the ceiling haha.

I did do exactly that on some of pics as it seemed to capture more of the true color in some instances.

Honestly, I'm red-green color blind so if I say something about color at some point and you all think I'm nuts, its the color-blindness!

I did do exactly that on some of pics as it seemed to capture more of the true color in some instances.

Honestly, I'm red-green color blind so if I say something about color at some point and you all think I'm nuts, its the color-blindness!

Ha no the pics look good, I'm a photographer so I always pick up on light and where it comes from.

Back