MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Talking for the Sausage makers - a home made incubator box

I have been making cured/airdried sausages and salami for a couple of years now and always was fiddling around with some homebrewn setup in the oven to hold the temp at ~ 90F for 15 hours or so to get the fermentation of the added Starter Cultures going..

something like this:

well I finally got of my case and constructed a incubator box like this:

all you need is a 4x8 sheet of Aluminum clad OSB (7/16 inch),
some framing wood (1 1/2 x 3/4 inch,
a line voltage switching thermostat and a wall box to mount it on,
a light socket with a heavy duty 70W lightbulb,
box of drywall screws,
some electric cord and hardware (hinges and lock)
couple of 1/2 inch dowels cut to the size to fit in your dryer.

here you get the idea..

I measured the inside of my dryer to cut the dowels to the size
so they slide in the rails of the dryer ( a peltier type cooling, college fridge)

and sized the incubator box accordingly so I could hang the dowels in there.. assembled the box with the Aluminum clad facing the inside!!

mounted the thermostat and wired it to the 70W light bulb on the bottom..

I cut a removable piece (for easy cleaning) and drilled holes in it on one side (away from the light) - to allow heat distribution and placed it above the lightbulb..

here you see a load ready to go...

set the temp - close the door - and the light will switch on and off to keep the desired temp in the box in the box

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Very cool. I need to start doing this someday.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm not a sausage maker yet, but that's a sweet set up.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Love that! I have yet to try fermented sausages.

Thanks for putting that up - way cool!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

That's pretty sweet.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the instruction. That looks great. How does the air flow or does that matter? At the fermentation step are you only looking for warmth?
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokp View Post
Thanks for the instruction. That looks great. How does the air flow or does that matter? At the fermentation step are you only looking for warmth?
Airflow does not matter during this step - (and hot air rises- that's why I put the light on the bottom..) it's the constant temp ~ 90F that gets the Starter culture going during these 15 or so hours.....
after that I move the sausage in the drying chamber with a lower temp ~ 55 F anyway..

Airflow is more important during the drying cycle but I get that in my peltier cooler from the built in Fan.

I noticed that now the Sausage is hanging -and not stacked up on top of each other like before in the oven- that the coloring is a lot better after the time in the incubator - I think the more even warming up of all sides of the sausages has something to do with that.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARNAAL View Post
I have been making cured/airdried sausages and salami for a couple of years now and always was fiddling around with some homebrewn setup in the oven to hold the temp at ~ 90F for 15 hours or so to get the fermentation of the added Starter Cultures going..

Thanks for sharing your ideas and design......
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote