MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:35 PM   #1
GrantAshton
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Grant
Default Homemade Barbecue Sauce

While I'll happily use a good bottled sauce, I prefer to make barbecue sauce from scratch.

How about you? Do you have favorite homemade sauces?

Here's one I made today for barbecue beef sandwiches that are on tap for later this week.

Paul Kirk's Southern Barbecue Sauce
(taken from Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue)

"This sauce is very close to being a Memphis-style sauce, but with my own Kansas City twist - celery seeds and a little more tomato and sugar. I love this on brisket, burgers, you name it."

2 Tbs unsalted butter
1 Tbs minced garlic
2 cups tomato ketchup, homemade or store-bought
1 cup chili sauce, homemade or store-bought
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, homemade or store-bought
2 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp Louisiana hot sauce
1 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a large nonreactive saucepan over medium heat, add the garlic, and cook, stirring, until soft but not browned. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-31-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

I did a bit, back when we were trying Keto. I followed a recipe I found for our local favorite, Gates BBQ. I replaced the sugar with Swerve, and the ketchup for the No Sugar Added variety. We loved it, but I don't mess with it any more.

Now, I mostly mix 2 sauces. It's a trick a chef taught me. When she makes spaghetti at home, she just mixes 2 different sauces, and it tastes better than each one individually. So, I do the same with my BBQ sauce. 2 of them combined, gives you something new and unique.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
frankenfab
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Franklin

I finally made my first sauce yesterday, the Lexington finishing sauce recipe from SirPorkAlot. I literally drank some of it.

But, I think about making sauce all the time.

Thanks for the recipe!
frankenfab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Yes sir! Cooking Hog in the Eastern Carolinas everyone has their (or family's) own homemade vinegar sauce. Normally I take that and modify for chicken and ribs and brisket. I love tinkering with homemade sauces and different rubs.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
GrantAshton
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
I finally made my first sauce yesterday, the Lexington finishing sauce recipe from SirPorkAlot. I literally drank some of it.

But, I think about making sauce all the time.

Thanks for the recipe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
Yes sir! Cooking Hog in the Eastern Carolinas everyone has their (or family's) own homemade vinegar sauce. Normally I take that and modify for chicken and ribs and brisket. I love tinkering with homemade sauces and different rubs.
I love Eastern Carolina pig pickin’ sauce. I always add a little as soon as I finish pulling pork shoulders.

I also like Virginia barbecue sauce which I find to be like a pig pickin’ sauce with a hint of Memphis. (Don’t get me wrong though given my reference to Memphis. I think there’s an argument to be made for Virginia as the motherland of barbecue.)

Old 03-31-2020, 03:59 PM   #6
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I used to work in a mom/pop BBQ restaurant while in college two decades ago. I made 10-15 gallons of BBQ sauce per day. Every day.

Even though the restaurant is long gone, I still have the recipe in a cupboard somewhere. I don't make it too often. I had to scale it way down (to 2.5 gallons) to keep the ingredient amounts easy and make it manageable (and even then I had to give it out to friends and neighbors). Swamp Boys is the closest commercial sauce to it I have found. I usually just buy a bottle of Swamp Boys now and again when I'm in the mood for sauce on my ribs/chicken.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-31-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
wbratt1
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

I make all my own sauces as I grew up with a Dad who always made his own. I make a traditional ketchup based sauce along with a mustard based sauce since I grew up in South Carolina. I played around with a lot of documentation for 5 or so years with them and my rubs prior to finalizing my recipes.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:28 PM   #8
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

I use Blues Hog Original for most things. If i am looking for a spicier, more vinegary flavor, I will go 50/50 Blues Hog Original/Tennessee Red.
I buy them both by the gallon.

I am never happy with any of my own, or any recipes i find online.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 05:51 PM   #9
SMetroHawkeye
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Hawkeye

I’m partial to The Mutha Sauce from Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, NY. Loved being able to buy it prebottled at Wegman’s... but alas, we moved to Cub country. The recipe in their cookbook is close enough for government work. I make it with the habanero and it’s oh so tasty!
[B]Current Corral:[/B] LSG VO 24” ([I]Li’l Herky[/I]); MAK Two-Star General ([I]Mando[/I]); PK360 with GrillGrates ([I]Galgadot[/I]); Vision Pro Kamado ([I]Punkinhead[/I]); WSM 22” ([I]The Droid[/I]); Weber Kettle ([I]Dory[/I]); Bull Angus ([I]Gasser[/I])
SMetroHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 06:21 PM   #10
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

I love a basic Eastern Carolina sauce for pork. For a regular sauce, google Walter Jetton’s bbq sauce. He was the pitmaster for Lyndon B Johnson back in the day. Good sauce.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 06:53 PM   #11
GrantAshton
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMetroHawkeye View Post
I’m partial to The Mutha Sauce from Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, NY. Loved being able to buy it prebottled at Wegman’s... but alas, we moved to Cub country. The recipe in their cookbook is close enough for government work. I make it with the habanero and it’s oh so tasty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post
I love a basic Eastern Carolina sauce for pork. For a regular sauce, google Walter Jetton’s bbq sauce. He was the pitmaster for Lyndon B Johnson back in the day. Good sauce.
Thanks to each of you. I found the recipes and I will be trying them.

Mutha Sauce

Walter Jetton's Barbecue Sauce

Old 03-31-2020, 07:20 PM   #12
SlickRockStones
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Gary

This sauce is just five ingredients so it’s call No. 5 sauce. It uses the rub that’s on the meat so the flavors jive. It’s easily modified by adding whatever you like.
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs worchestershire sauce
1Tbs rub
Optional meat drippings
Simmer in sauce pan to thicken as desired.
SlickRockStones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 08:04 PM   #13
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Drop the apple cider vinegar and sub in Balsamic in its place, its great imo

Old 03-31-2020, 08:13 PM   #14
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C

Wish I could provide measurements but truthfully I don't even really know. It's always ballparked. I start by sauteeing half a finely diced white onion in a couple tablespoons of butter on medium heat. Then I'll add a can of Dr. Pepper (or Coke, or Cherry Coke), a cup of ketchup, and maybe half a cup of white vinegar. Bring it all to a simmer, then add to taste: garlic powder, salt, fresh black pepper, red pepper flakes, onion powder, and a couple tablespoons of brown sugar. Simmer really low until it thickens.
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"[/B]

Red Oak is still Oak :cool:
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 08:19 PM   #15
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I usually only make sauce when I want a vinegar sauce for pork or when I want white sauce. However, this is a sauce I made a couple of times and liked it. I took out the liquid smoke and add a half or full teaspoon of chipolte powder.
https://www.food.com/recipe/memphis-...ue-sauce-99023