MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:26 AM   #3301
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Holy crap. I don’t know why I didn’t find this thread earlier, but I’m glad I found it after I opened my restaurants! A great read for sure. Congratulations on your new venture!

Old 12-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #3302
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
Hey Jeremy, if you get a minute. What brand of salt do you use for your pickle recipe? Asking because it's listed in TBSPs. and a TBSP of Diamond Crystal vs Morton Kosher vs Morton Pickling salt are totally different amounts of salt.

I'm thinking that may be the reason the pickles I made were way too salty.

Thanks.
I use Diamond Crystal kosher.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #3303
LYU370
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
I use Diamond Crystal kosher.
Thanks! That explains it. I used Morton's which is almost double the weight of DC for the same volume.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Saber 500 Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us and enter to win great prizes! It's a BLAST!
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2019, 01:55 PM   #3304
frankenfab
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Franklin

Quote:
Today was a good day. At noon we were granted the ability to sell alcohol. And it's serendipitous that today is also the anniversary of the end of prohibition back in 1933. So, we celebrated with the first beer to be served with BBQ.

It's exciting. We are now the only BBQ place around that also sells beer. Can't wait to see how this impacts business.

That looks awesome! Do you cook your fries twice?
frankenfab is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #3305
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
That looks awesome! Do you cook your fries twice?
Yes, fry at 300 for a few minutes until cooked through. Then we drop them at 350 until crisp to order.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #3306
kevrol
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Are your taps functional yet?

Old 01-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #3307
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrol View Post
Are your taps functional yet?
So close...

New bar is installed, taps are in and lines ran to what will be the keg cooler, but we're waiting on our new walk-in cooler to arrive and get installed. We need to get that going so we can empty out the current walk-in and make room for the beer. Unfortunately that's not getting here until the 28th now so we're set back a little bit. Again.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #3308
Mikhail
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Mik

Looking good.

PK Classic Grill
Broil King Signet 320 Propane
Good One Open Range over & under
Mikhail is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #3309
Packmanjim
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats on your latest venture. I have owned my own business before so I know how much work you put in to it. Doesn't seem like work it seems more like an adventure. If I wasn't 700 mile away I'd stop by for lunch.
Smokey Joe mini
Smokin Cajun Gasser
Packmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #3310
ArtBQ
Got Wood.

I love that this thread and story continues.
ArtBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #3311
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

What a long 4 months it has been since the doors opened. You think the story had drama before, you have no idea the drama when it's a full-service restaurant with 20+ employees. Holy cow, nobody prepared me for some of this nonsense.

And construction delays continue. Had delays 7 years ago, and have them the same today. Our new walk-in cooler got pushed back a few weeks longer than promised, so we're still without draft beer. The cooler did come monday and we built it, but still need to get an electrician in here to get it up and running. So, draft beer finally ready by next week fingers crossed.

One thing I don't know if I touched on before was the constant beating you get from customers and even the public. Even when 9 out of 10 comments you read online are great, the occasional negative comments are still hard. People flat out lie oftentimes. Just talking trash for the sake of being a jerk. And I get it, I realize these comments are always in the tiny minority, and most of the time not even completely true, it still feels like a personal attack. I've been doing this for years now and it never really gets easier to shrug those off.

We are also gearing up for festival season and on the prowl for a mobile smoker and/or food truck or concession trailer. We have a number of events this summer in sight, and also have a number of requests for family reunions and weddings with on-site cooking. Another major expense, but with business being good and a lot of event/catering possible, now is the time to start planning.

Finally, we've had a commercial on TV for a while now, I just forgot about it. This was shot early on so the restaurant is bare and it doesn't talk about the bar, but they are coming out as soon as our tap system is going and will shoot more video so they can add that info to the spot. I know some of you may be interested, so here's that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzD8ww7psz4

Old 01-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #3312
food4thot
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

Yeah, don't give any credence to naysayers. There are always some not comprehending the complexity of whatever (not just the restaurant business) you are trying to do and lashing out negativity. Some seem to thrive on it for some reason.

Best of luck to you!

Old 01-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #3313
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

When researching a restaurant, I take the negative online feedback with a grain of salt! Sometimes it drives me out of spite to try it , too:-)

Too many d-bags . . . . roll on Brotha'
Imperial Kamado #3
Numerous Weber Kettles, daisies and one touches
Seville Cart by Woodard for my pre-79 Kettle
Indoors cooking hearth with crane
Large heavy duty open grill for dutch ovens, etc.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2020, 10:06 PM   #3314
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

One thing I don't know if I touched on before was the constant beating you get from customers and even the public. Even when 9 out of 10 comments you read online are great, the occasional negative comments are still hard. People flat out lie oftentimes. Just talking trash for the sake of being a jerk. And I get it, I realize these comments are always in the tiny minority, and most of the time not even completely true, it still feels like a personal attack. I've been doing this for years now and it never really gets easier to shrug those off.
Don't worry about these too much. As a reviewer myself in Melbourne ( I am up to 200 or so reviews) you have a look at previous reviews and those that are really negative stand out in such a way that those reading the review can figure out the author is an idiot. Typically, it's their only or first review with no followers, very poorly written and complaining about something that is out of line within the scope of the other reviews.

If there really is something going wrong with an establishment, you see a pattern. If you see a bad pattern in your reviews, then there is a smoking gun you have to fix.... like constantly dirty floors, toilets or a smarmy waiter across 6 months of reviews. You do not need to worry about this at all with your record.

Cheers!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2020, 04:33 AM   #3315
4ever3
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef View Post
When researching a restaurant, I take the negative online feedback with a grain of salt! Sometimes it drives me out of spite to try it , too:-)

Too many d-bags . . . . roll on Brotha'
Exactly this!

When traveling we do not eat chain restaurants, sometimes times enough over the top bad comments gives us the “oh hell we gotta try this!”

Keep doing what you do and stop reading the comments.

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

“The cannons don’t thunder, there’s nothing to plunder, I’m an over 40 victim of fate...”
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote