MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #1
captjoe06
Full Fledged Farker

Default Chicken Thigh Experiment and Sauce Review: Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet Chili Wing Sauce

I set up the @WeberGrills kettle with the two charcoal baskets placed directly in the center of the bowl and loaded it up with 2/3 a chimney of red hot charcoal.

For the preparation of the chicken thighs I patted them down with a paper towel to remove any moisture or water (this helps to crisp the skin) . Then lightly brushed them with evoo.

After coating with the evoo six of the thighs got Paul Prudhomme dry rub and four got a sprinkling of coarse salt.

The exercise was to figure out how to get the best juicy inside/crispy skin chicken.

The chicken was arranged in the outside perimeter of the bowl indirect of the charcoal baskets which were placed in the middle. One chunk of mesquite wood was placed in the center over the coals for smoke. Top and bottom vents left wide open throughout the cook.

I used the Maverick 732 to monitor internal temps and once they hit 165 degrees I mopped 4 of the Prudhomme rubbed thighs and 4 of the salt rubbed with Sweet Baby Rays Sweet Chili Wing Sauce and Glaze. Two of the Prudhomme rubbed thighs were left unmpopped throughout the cook.

After mopping the wings, the cover was placed back on and left on for about five minutes to set the glaze. Internal temp 175 and pull the chicken off.

The results-

So the findings on the Sweet Baby Rays are a ten out of ten. The flavors are perfect. So damn good.

As for the results with mopping during the cook-

They were very very good but the ones that were left unmopped were more crispy skinned when eating.

So for the future I will prepare them this way:

Pat dry>light coat of EVOO>rub with Prudhomme Rub>cook indirectly with charcoal placed in center charcoal baskets and chicken outside perimeter>pull the chicken at 175 degrees internal temp>serve with sauce on the side.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Enrico Brandizzi
Babbling Farker

Those wings looks perfect!
I really like the sauce too!

BBQness is on Youtube, Instagram & Flickr [/B]
Enrico Brandizzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
punchy
Full Fledged Farker

gonna have to try that sauce.
punchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

Someone told me last night to try it! Will be getting next time I'm out

Old 05-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #5
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

I really like that sauce too!

Old 05-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
Texmex01
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : J.R.
Arrow

Thanks for the review of the sauce , I was wondering how it was!

Old 05-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
4ever3
Quintessential Chatty Farker

DANG!!!

I'd take a pile of those!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

“The cannons don’t thunder, there’s nothing to plunder, I’m an over 40 victim of fate...”
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Them thighs look great. thanks for the review.

UDS now resurrected, Square Chicken Cooker, Green 22" Kettle, Stok Tower Grill & Barrel Grill, Stealth WSM 18", Char Broil Kamander
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
Bigbears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Yes please!! Thanks for the review and the finished product looks great
OG PBC
Gen 1Weber performer
Bigbears BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #10
V1VRV2
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

Yeah I'm always searching for the crispy skin BBQ chicken but it's hard to obtain with any kind of mop/sauce/glaze. Do you think the evoo helps with crispness? Have you tried without the evoo? They look fantastic

Old 05-28-2016, 03:39 AM   #11
captjoe06
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VRV2 View Post
Yeah I'm always searching for the crispy skin BBQ chicken but it's hard to obtain with any kind of mop/sauce/glaze. Do you think the evoo helps with crispness? Have you tried without the evoo? They look fantastic
Thanks for the suggestion. For one reason or another this is the way I've always done them and had such great success I haven't thought to try it without.

But I'm going to split up my next batch do half with and half just the dry rub and report back the results.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #12
Is It Ready Yet?
On the road to being a farker

Looks Great. Have to find this sauce.

[B]XL Green Egg[/B]
[B]Medium Spicewine[/B]
[B]26.75 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]22.5 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]Is It Ready Yet? BBQ Team[/B]
Is It Ready Yet? is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken thighs, Cooking Chicken Thighs, Sauce reviwe, Sweet Chili Sauce, weber kettle