Finally had a chance to cook today

ricksegers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What with Ivan, Frances and their friends and accompanying overtime, I finally had the oportunity to cook for the first time in weeks today. Fired up the 'dera and hung a rack of spare ribs and threw in a sausage roll to try my first fatty. Few hours later I put in a beer can chicken. After we ate the significantly better half said if I could find food this good in a restaruant I would go out to eat.
On the fatty, I tried Bill's 3-2-1 method. I sprinkled a little rub and cooked it about 2 1/2 hours. rolled in foil with a 1/4 cup of liquid that was equal parts maple syrup and water. Cooked it for about another hour. Unwrapped it and left in the smoker about a half an hour. The sausage had a great flavor just terribly dry. While in the store, I saw the chub packs of hamburger meat and thought hmmmmm. Took a 2 pound 93-7 home. Did as the sausage with a rub. Then wrapped it with a half cup of liquid that was bbq sausce and water. Great flavor but again too dry. I might try a higher fat content, say 80-20 next time.
Have a great weekend. I have enough leftovers to last all weekend.

Rick

Sounds like you really had a blast Qing. Once I punch this clock I am thinking about smoking some chicken and a turkey boob. I am not to sure why your fatty was so dry (please boy's let's not get out of control here, we are talking about sausage). Where you buying Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans sausage, or were you using one from the meat case?

I have not tried Bill's method yet. All I do is carefuly unwrap that sausage, place it naked on a piece of foil (optional) and do not wrap it. Cook for maybe 2 hours and thats it. I'l let rest for a bit before slicing. I don;t want those lovely juices going all over the place. If I am looking to crumble it for gravy then I hack it right away while still hot.

I did manage the 3-2-1 on a fatty once and it was good. As a rule I put my fatty in the hotspot, turn it over (thanks Greg) after an hour an after another hour its done.
I am fully sold that dryness is nearly always the result of over cooking, as has been said here before you can boil meat in water and dry it out. Ever make a homemade beef soup or stew? As the little chunks of meat simmer for extended periods they get incredibly tender, they also get quite dry. As soon as your therm tells you that your target temp has been reached, stop cooking. What those temps are for certain things can certainly be debated, good idea for another thread.

Never had a dry fatty doing the 3-2-1. Foil after three hours spraying liberally with apple or cranberry juice. Last hour in the cooler. Always very moist. Try placing the fatty on the top shelf.

My method,
3 hr in smoke,
2 min,
1 lb ate, as in, gone to the belly food processor!

Back