MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #106
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

He didnt that was just a good photo op....too good to passs up. Really he got to ride in the frt seat and that is the first time in his life he was in the frt.

Also had them talked into tasing him 3 at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
It looks like you guys did a great job again this year! Congrats!

Why did Billy get arrested?
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #107
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

It was a good time. Great seeing everyone again this year and making some new friends.

I've been exhausted all day. Next time I'm bringing ear plugs for my midnight nap.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #108
Dylan's Dad
On the road to being a farker

Speaking of the police...what a great group of guys! We must have seen 95% of the Dayton Police department throughout the day and night. No one went away without a sampling of the great BBQ from the cooks as well as a couple care packages sent to the dispatch officers and emergency dispatch at the hospital.

The event Curt and the others have put together reaches so many people from so many walks of life. It was a privilege to be a part of it.

One story to share with you. I spent some time with a member of the church that has been down on his luck and just recently been paroled. He was so happy that morning that his mother, due to the event in part, was going to be attending the church service for the 1st time in many years. We talked for quite some time and then he pulls me aside and asks me if they were going to be taking all the black meat off the BBQ before they served it. That led to a little discussion about bark and a little more education about BBQ.

This forum, the Brethren, and the people that make it up are truly top notch!
Dylan's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #109
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

There were several members of the church that came to help. They're hearts and spirits were in a wonderful place...even though their circumstances may not be. It was a pleasure to meet so many of them.

The members of the church and the members of the Brethren were a great mix...thanks again everyone.

Billy, thanks again for literally giving me the shirt off your back. No, you sick minded farkers...I forgot to pack a long sleeved shirt - he gave me his so I didn't die. Another testimony of the Brethren spriit. Not a finer group of guys on earth...despite Bull's comments to me this morning around seven. BTW...you are forgiven...go and insult no more :)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #110
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

I thank everyone for a great time.
KCBS CBJ #30390

Last edited by The Pigman; 07-04-2011 at 07:14 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #111
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Boy slept good last night.................Hope all found thier way home safely.
A lot of people like Dylans Dad said ate real well over the weekend.

The monent I will never forget is looking up and 3 Dayton Police are walking towards me saying "We're here for the FATTIES" The fatties werenot done yet but the Deer Chili was and they said they would be back in a hour for a fattie.

I walk out into a field and Rub My Butt, Smoke a Fattie it dont get better than that.
KCBS CBJ #30390

Old 05-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #112
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Demos all day and though i didnt gat a pic Bob did another UDS demo.
KCBS CBJ #30390

Old 05-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #113
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've been offline resting, though I don't know what I had to rest up from! I'll get my photos up later.

Guys, I'm humbled by what you all did this weekend. We fed 600 sandwiches to the neighborhood, with leftovers for Thursday's meal to another 200, and food also going to a downtown ministry tomorrow. The city really does feel the impact of what you did.

I already have a list of ways to improve next year, which includes making sure that the meat is thawed! :) We'll cap the quantity at 500 lbs, I think, and just feed what we need to from that. That should make the morning go smoother in general.

My birthday was last week, but I don't really celebrate it. My wife wanted to know what I wanted to do for my birthday, and I realized that it was the weekend coming up that was kind of my way of celebrating. So happy birthday to me from all of you. :)

It was great seeing everyone that made it back, and fantastic seeing new faces.

We gave away 3 awards... One for best MOINK Balls, which Kevin Frazier, a Vineyard congregant, won for the 2nd year in a row (though I thought Bubba's were better), and ABT's, which Roger won with some nicely done peppers stuffed with cheese and apricot preserves, I think, wrapped in bacon.

But the last award went to Billy... for Mr. Congeniality!

The vineyardMEN volunteers showed up better this year, and I think they were a big help. For the record, Tom, Richard, Rick, Kurt, Tim, and John were the primary ones I can remember, but Curtis was there at 4 am, and helped immensely just by letting people into and out of the building so I could get a couple hours of sleep!

Thanks for making A Pretty Good BBQ's 3rd annual event a huge success. And thanks for standing up and being men of your word... I use you all as examples to the men of the Vineyard on how to step up to the plate.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #114
hogsbreath
Knows what a fatty is.

What a great weekend.....again. I was blessed by getting to hang out and learn from you guys again, and to meet the guys there for the first time. I can't wait to do this all over again.
Just to let you know, today is a crappy rainy day in Dayton. We were watched over on Sat & Sun!
Phil, Thanks for dinner Sat nite.
Who ever made the mac-n-cheese, I'd like the recipe!
I am humbled by the work the Brethren did as well as the volunteers. Thanks to all!
Lastly, I am glad all made it home safely!
Hope to see you guys sooner than next May!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #115
cmcadams

Some follow ups I was asked about...

Hogsbreath... the restaurant is Longman & Eagle, 2657 N. Kedzie Ave, Chicago 60647. Let me know when you're going, and I have a chance to get you a table set aside (they don't take reservations).
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=longman+eagle

I don't remember who all wanted the tomato pie recipe, but here it is:

http://livefireonline.com/2007/09/06/tomato-pie/
The photos are gone from here, but, from almost 4 years ago: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ght=tomato+pie

Livefire Whisky

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)

Old 05-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #116
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks curt up there you used can tomatoes how many cans did you use and I take it you drained them and would you say you doulbed the rest of reciep for the full sheet tray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams View Post
Some follow ups I was asked about...

Hogsbreath... the restaurant is Longman & Eagle, 2657 N. Kedzie Ave, Chicago 60647. Let me know when you're going, and I have a chance to get you a table set aside (they don't take reservations).
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=longman+eagle

I don't remember who all wanted the tomato pie recipe, but here it is:

http://livefireonline.com/2007/09/06/tomato-pie/
The photos are gone from here, but, from almost 4 years ago: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ght=tomato+pie
KCBS CBJ #30390

Old 05-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #117
cmcadams

I didn't measure the full pan, and, yes, I did use canned, 4 per hotel pan... I'd recommend doing the single pie plate first to get a feel for it, then playing around from there... I did the stuff Saturday more by feel than recipe.

Livefire Whisky

Old 05-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #118
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

Way to go guys!
Sorry I missed it this year but looks like you all did well and accomplished the mission.
Hopefully next year.

Take care,
Scott
Humphreys Battle Box
Chargriller Akorn, Akorn Jr.
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #119
Dylan's Dad
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams View Post
I've been offline resting, though I don't know what I had to rest up from! I'll get my photos up later.
Was that a digital camera you were taking photos with Curt or are you waiting to get them back from Walmart?

Dylan is not sure I was there. I explained I was the one taking the pictures that he saw...but he's getting a little skeptical.
Dylan's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #120
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Eric you are welcome anytime....pleasure having you there. Thanks for keeping me awake durning the night. You tell Dylan that I will vouch for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan's Dad View Post
Was that a digital camera you were taking photos with Curt or are you waiting to get them back from Walmart?

Dylan is not sure I was there. I explained I was the one taking the pictures that he saw...but he's getting a little skeptical.
KCBS CBJ #30390

Thanks from:--->