MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
txags2011
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew
Default Cheap kettle grill?

I want a 22.5 kettle but i dont have the funds to drop on a weber (sadly). So, i found a Char-Broil one at Academy for only 40$ (or an 18.5 for 25$) and i was thinking of going that route. I want an affordable charcoal grill for steaks/burgers but I want to be able to do a beer can chicken or two as well so i was wondering if the Char-broil would be just as solid as anything else for my purposes. any bad/good experiences or anything like that would be appreciated

Old 10-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
cds9333
Full Fledged Farker

I think the char-broil would get you by... however, if you truly want a weber, keep an eye out on craigslist or even freecycle. There is a weber in the westchase area on cl (though probably too far to drive for the deal) posted on the 11th. I found two so far on cl (a 1995 and 2007) for a total of $40 so they are out there if you can wait. Good luck
cds9333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #3
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Compared to a Weber 22.5 kettle those others options are made out of foil.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Hey we all have to start somewhere. If that is all funds will allow then your options are pretty simple. Just remember man started cooking in holes in the ground a bazillion years ago so anything created these days is pretty good. Just learn on what you have and be the master of YOUR grill. In time, after selling blood week after week you will have enough dinero to hook up a kettle. I say check craigslist, you can find used kettles there for real cheap, even free sometimes. Either way get what will suit you and have fun.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
txags2011
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
Compared to a Weber 22.5 kettle those others options are made out of foil.
haha, yeah... im aware.

i have yet to find anything on CL close enough for me to want to pay for the gas to go get.

i may settle for the char-broil and then once I get a job again ill go big and find my self a good weber. then i can scrap the charbroil for parts (ie. use its lid for my UDS )

thanks for the input guys

Old 10-12-2009, 05:48 AM   #6
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

Build a uds. You wont regret it.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
Skidder
Babbling Farker

While on vacation the last 2 weeks I had the chance to use two grills and both had absolutley no air controls. Had to plug what was there with foil to stop all the air leaks. So I think you'll be fine once you get to know the grill you buy. Was nice to get home to my Weber kettle for sure. Good luck with whatever you buy.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
jdub
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txags2011 View Post
I want a 22.5 kettle but i dont have the funds to drop on a weber (sadly). So, i found a Char-Broil one at Academy for only 40$ (or an 18.5 for 25$) and i was thinking of going that route. I want an affordable charcoal grill for steaks/burgers but I want to be able to do a beer can chicken or two as well so i was wondering if the Char-broil would be just as solid as anything else for my purposes. any bad/good experiences or anything like that would be appreciated
Start working Craigslist hard! Weber Kettles are in there all the time for cheap. People buy them and decide they want gas-happens constantly. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #9
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

You live in a college town. If it's anything like the large college towns I've lived in all you have to do is be willing to do a little dumpster diving at the end of each semester.

College kids throw everything away in their efforts to get out of town after graduation. You can score a weber or two if you driving around, starting a week or so before the end of a semester.

Also, craigslist and freecycle as already mentioned.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

When I moved my daughter out of her apartment in CS for the last time (she was class of 0, there were a plethora of BBQ implements in the dumpster at the complex, but no Webers. I did pluck a couple of good-as-new grill brushes to the disgust of my wife and daughter.
Texas Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote