MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #31
Kit R
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ugly's BBQ View Post
Shopping cart drag races, who's in??
Why didn't we think of this in September?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #32
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Ouch!
I wasn't just citing girth. With my worn out knees, the comedy would be in watching me TRY to get out of a cart!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #33
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I wasn't just citing girth. With my worn out knees, the comedy would be in watching me TRY to get out of a cart!
George,
First you have to get into the cart
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #34
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Many teams would require a flatbed Just sayin
In Greensboro they called that the "truck series"

The contest I did last year wasn't the best organized event on my calender and the no water thing was a PIA but I it wasn't poorly run. I'm going to try and do it again this year.

There may be some conflicts and bumps along the way but I think the format is still very cool.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #35
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I was in Birmingham (Trussville) and I really didn't have a problem. Water was a slight pain, but the shopping carts made it much better. That and the fact that we keep a cooler of hot water on site, and the friendly RV next to us. I guess if we used a sink it would have hurt us more. The power wasn't on when we got there, and it was late, causing us an issue, but another RV owner let us feed off of him when we needed to. I honestly don't think that was the fault of KCBS or the organizer. The genie didn't work. Does any one know differently? The organizer was very understanding and helpful and had at least two contingencies for it in place. I enjoyed the setup, and my biggest problem was that check-in was much longer than it should have been, but that's par for the course. To me, comps fall into three categories: The ones that don't really care about the cook teams and do things to screw them up with disregard, the ones that bend over backwards to help cook teams, and all the rest. Sam's Club Birmingham seemed to be right in the middle to me. No complaints, and if there's one close enough, I'll go again.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #36
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit R View Post
Love those shopping carts. Nice touch in Laurel. We're in for 2012, too. And you'll be happy to know Dan that I will hook you up with Wicked Good lump again. For a price, of course. And after I allocate some for my own Backwoods!
Nah, I got you this time thanks to the BBQ Equipment store

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #37
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit R View Post
Don't forget the rain in Laurel. That sucked as well. But not as much as the outcome for us.
Don't remind me.....

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #38
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

I guess those that don't like heat or asphalt wont' or should not compete. Hell, if its in the bottom 20 of events, I'll expect Georgia to not provide a team in this event.

I love the tournament format, regardless of my not advancing last year. I'll be back, rolling water in a shopping cart, standing on black top and whatever else is needed to compete in this series. I don't need to be invited to get to the big show, I just have to cook my way in.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #39
Smokedelic
Full Fledged Farker

We'll be in for '12, wherever we can get in. Bentonville is sweet in October.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #40
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
I guess those that don't like heat or asphalt wont' or should not compete. Hell, if its in the bottom 20 of events, I'll expect Georgia to not provide a team in this event.

I love the tournament format, regardless of my not advancing last year. I'll be back, rolling water in a shopping cart, standing on black top and whatever else is needed to compete in this series. I don't need to be invited to get to the big show, I just have to cook my way in.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #41
Bigmista

We had cold wind and rain in Gilbert, AZ and we still had a good time. A bunch of us rented U-Haul box trucks from across the street and setup our prep stations in the back. (Thanks Harry Soo for the idea!) It was a lot warmer and dryer for those of who can't afford RV's.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #42
JD McGee

We're tossing the idea of doing the Sam's Club events this year...it depends on where the local and regionals will be...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #43
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs on Fire View Post
There is no way this 'series' would be happening again if it weren't for the slim possibility of taking home some decent money after the first round.

The venues absolutely suck, at least in the South. On a blacktop parking lot in July and August, no running water, generator power only and as far as I know, the gensets FAILED within 3 hours at both Birmingham and Marietta.

No thanks to 2012.
The July and August events in the midwest and south should be changing. I voiced my opinion on that and was told that issue was definitely being taken into consideration for 2012. As far as your generator and water issues, come cook in Missouri and Kansas where many, many times, generators are all we have. And running water at the individual sites happened like twice this year (in 13 contests) and maybe three or four times in 27 contests in 2010.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #44
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
The July and August events in the midwest and south should be changing. I voiced my opinion on that and was told that issue was definitely being taken into consideration for 2012. As far as your generator and water issues, come cook in Missouri and Kansas where many, many times, generators are all we have. And running water at the individual sites happened like twice this year (in 13 contests) and maybe three or four times in 27 contests in 2010.

I can't for the life of me figure out why you guys in the midwest put up with that stuff. Crappy power, no water and sub $10k payouts? no thanks.

In georgia I can have my pick of $10k+ contests all with water and power at your site.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #45
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

Misread post