MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #11956
Espy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I usually dump about half a chimney worth of lit brigs. I don't know how many that is but it's way more than 10.
I'll do another chimney half full and see how that goes.

Thanks
Espy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2014, 05:57 AM   #11957
Stevenscustomguitars
Knows what a fatty is.

Default About to build - need some help with charcoal basket.

Hi, I've read a ton of this thread and am about ready to have a go myself. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me with.

So I'm trying to avoid spending £30-40 on an 8'x4' sheet of expanded metal and I'm trying to think outside of the box.

I had an idea to use something that I have spare and was wondering if you guys thought it would work. It's a stainless steel bird cowl for a chimney. The mesh may be a bit wide?

And is it big enough at 11" diameter x 8" high once I've cut off the lid - will it hold enough for long cooks? Should i just bite the bullet and buy the expanded steel?

And I managed to find two nearly new plain steel barrels for £25, unlined with no rust inhibitor. They contained cardboard boxes of batteries with cork packing. Should i still burn them out? or just sand the paint off and the odd bit of rust and spray with high heat paint?

The lid doesn't fit but i may try flipping it and seeing if it fits the bottom, but then i'd have to cut the top out somehow, only have a jigsaw and an angle grinder at my disposal though.

What do you guys think?

Old 06-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #11958
Highcal
On the road to being a farker

I'd burn it, plus by burning it it will also remove the outside paint. I waited until my drum was super hot and then hit it with the garden hose, the extreme difference in temp of the water on the drum blew the paint off easily.

I would think a jig saw would work to cut the bottlm off if the blade is long enough, myself I used a sawzall.

Have no idea if your chimney thingy will hold up to the heat, but the mesh seems a bit too
spaced out, I would think small pieces of charcoal would fall through.
Highcal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #11959
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

I think the basket will work out fine. Its silly how difficult & expensive it is it get expanded steel over here.

Just a thought - before you cut the lid could you not put a charcoal grate inside? the lid would make an almost perfect ash catcher. Maybe even hammer the dome down a bit. Your only going to end up cutting it off & installing an ash catcher anyway.. also looks like you got a handle (or making of one) when the whole thing is turned upside down.

As for the lid - do you know anyone who can weld your lid to the original drum lid?
That is what I done, so I got a perfect fit. Cost me about £20 IIRC done by a local panel beater. Then I cut the drum lid with a jigsaw & metal blade.

Do your drums have any lining? I assume not from what you say... I had a drum with no lining & didnt bother burning it out.
Eggtastico is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #11960
Highcal

A small piece of expanded metal is crazy price here as well, I lucked out and got some at work though it was not as thick a gauge as most people here said I needed, but so far its had no issues.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #11961
Stevenscustomguitars
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcal View Post
Have no idea if your chimney thingy will hold up to the heat, but the mesh seems a bit too
spaced out, I would think small pieces of charcoal would fall through.
Thanks, and I think you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtastico View Post
As for the lid - do you know anyone who can weld your lid to the original drum lid?
That is what I done, so I got a perfect fit. Cost me about £20 IIRC done by a local panel beater. Then I cut the drum lid with a jigsaw & metal blade.

Do your drums have any lining? I assume not from what you say... I had a drum with no lining & didnt bother burning it out.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

No lining on my drums, clean bare steel. I'm just worried that if i don't remove the paint and respray it will peel off.

Think I may just bit the bullet and buy the 8x4 sheet, at least that way I'll have plenty for when I build my 2nd

Old 06-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #11962
qhoang
Knows what a fatty is.

Building my first UDS. Can someone tell me if this is what it's suppose to look like? Not sure how to tell when the liner is out.

qhoang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2014, 03:40 AM   #11963
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenscustomguitars View Post
Thanks, and I think you're right.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

No lining on my drums, clean bare steel. I'm just worried that if i don't remove the paint and respray it will peel off.

Think I may just bit the bullet and buy the 8x4 sheet, at least that way I'll have plenty for when I build my 2nd
My paint did not peel for a few cooks - then I had to go out & left the missus in charge. 1 phone call later temp was upto 400F & it burnt the paint - then rust followed. I think if the temps are kept low enough, the paint is upto it (I would guess sitting around dockside all over the world in various temps the paint can take 225f without any issues)

As for steel - maybe look into welded mesh. I found a local supplier to me in Swansea that sell 8x4 for less than £20 in mild steel.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #11964
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Burning it will remove the outside paint as already said. My last 2 UDS were both unlined barrels that had grain in them from a dog food plant. I burned one and didn't burn the other. They both produce good food.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #11965
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qhoang View Post
Building my first UDS. Can someone tell me if this is what it's suppose to look like? Not sure how to tell when the liner is out.

It looks like the liner is still in there. See that reddish brown looking stuff? That's a liner. Looks as if you tried grinding on it already from the marks. Those things are a bitch to get out.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #11966
Highcal

Arrow

Should be silver in color inside, just take your wire wheel to the outside to remove some paint and what you see is exactly what you should see inside.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #11967
Stevenscustomguitars
Knows what a fatty is.

So I ended up buying some expanded mild steel. It's listed as 154f over here and is about 1.5mm thick. Is that thick enough to withstand the heat? Any thicker and I was worried about being able to bend it or cut it. It's not too late to swap it, just want to make sure before I cut it!

Edit: Just had a look and the 3/4" x #9 that most of you guys use is about 3mm thick, twice that of what I bought. Worrying now.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #11968
gingerchris
Found some matches.

Steven - don't worry about it. If it's too thin then it will burn away after a few cooks and you'll have to replace it. I've used whatever thin stuff they sell at B&Q and so far after three cooks it's not showing any sign of deterioration.
gingerchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #11969
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerchris View Post
Steven - don't worry about it. If it's too thin then it will burn away after a few cooks and you'll have to replace it. I've used whatever thin stuff they sell at B&Q and so far after three cooks it's not showing any sign of deterioration.
any links to B&Q stuff? I can only ever find galvanised there.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #11970
gingerchris
Found some matches.

I cant see any on their website but I'm pretty sure (and now hopeful) that the stuff I found in my local wasn't galvanised. I know there's a lot of debate on here about it but I've been pretty adamant about not using it in my build.
gingerchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker