Manzanita wood chips?

nicerackbbqteam

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Manzanita wood chips? Has anyone cooked with it? if so what is your Opinion on that type of wood for smokeing?

Since you are using chips, I would not think the heat would be too bad, I would do a test run and see what the smoke smells like, maybe cook a burger or something before investing a whole run.

I already burn some and it smells like Hickory... and i know its Manzenita because i have a branch from the tree and a family member gave it to me

I've smoked with manzanita a few times, and it's really good, especially on ribs or chicken. It has a pronounced, yet very smooth flavor that isn't overbearing like hickory can be. Honestly, I'm very surprised that it's not more popular than it is. Go ahead and try it! Don't be shy with it either... use as much as you would hickory. Let us know how it turns out for you!

I agree with Landarc though... test it out on something cheap, just in case you don't personally like it.

-Rodney

EDIT: LOL... just realized that this thread is a year old. ;-) Did you get around to trying the manzanita?

manzanita is just fine for smoking. just try differant amounts to see what you like.

manzanita, is and as well it should be great for smoking.... manzanita, is a fruit tree The word manzanita is the Spanish diminutive of manzana (apple). A literal translation would be little apple. down here in AZ we actually harvest the berry's and make a tea like drink with it, or even make cider out ov it!! and smokes great

manzanita, is and as well it should be great for smoking.... manzanita, is a fruit tree The word manzanita is the Spanish diminutive of manzana (apple). A literal translation would be little apple. down here in AZ we actually harvest the berry's and make a tea like drink with it, or even make cider out ov it!! and smokes great

mmmmeat
I would like the recipe for the tea and cider. I have lots of manzanita growing in my pasture. I have some cut-up and drying for a trial run later. Glad to hear that it is good for BBQ.

Manzanita Cider

(Arctostaphylos spp.)

Collect berries in summer.
Green manzanita berries
Water
Honey
Cover green berries with water and simmer for 15 minutes. Let stand overnight, strain and sweeten as desired [4].
Spanish used green berries and Native Americans used the ripe berries.
This can also be used as a vinegar substitute for salad dressing.

Manzanita Cider

(Arctostaphylos spp.)

Collect berries in summer.
Green manzanita berries
Water
Honey
Cover green berries with water and simmer for 15 minutes. Let stand overnight, strain and sweeten as desired [4].
Spanish used green berries and Native Americans used the ripe berries.
This can also be used as a vinegar substitute for salad dressing.

Hijack in progress.
Thanks
I'll try and let ya knowin a new thread.
Hijack done.

Back