MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
Rjbuilder
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Kamado Joe or BGE

If you guys had a chance to get a Kamado Joe or a BGE would you spend a little less on the Joe and get more accessories or would you spend more on the BGE with no accessories? Kinda torn between the two right now. From what I know they both cook about the same and the Joe has a little better stainless hardware. Any thoughts?
Rjbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I just got a Kamado Joe Classic and I'm quite happy with it. The same setup on the BGE costs about $300 more, but either route you take you are going to have a great rig.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I say just go ahead and get the one you really want.

The difference in cost is not much more than several briskets and you are going to have this smoker a very long time. In addition, accessories make great present suggestions for you.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Southstar Jeff
Full Fledged Farker

I love my big green egg. I have looked at the KJ and don't see why you couldn't use most any of the BGE accessories. The ceramic grill store is a great resource, I've bought several things from them.

One note, especially if you are looking at the bigger ones, when I looked at the big joe, there seemed to be much less headroom in the top of the cooker. The dome seemed flatter, giving less usable space. This was just by eyeball, and maybe I'm off base, but I'd recommend looking at these in person first.

And, I was not crazy about buying more made in China product.
Smokey Joe Silver
RecTec
Southstar Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Get the one you feel you would be happiest with.

When I was looking at ceramics I looked at most all of them, and the two I got the best feeling from were the Primo Oval XL and the Kamado Joe. If money was no issue to me I would have got the Primo, but I had to stay in a budget so the KJ was what I felt was best for me. And I have not regretted it for one second.

In fact for the way I have used it, the KJ probably was a better choice for me than the Primo anyway.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

If you haven't seen the Kamado Joe, this is the walk-around video I made earlier this week to show the components and features on the grill.

Everything that has been posted here so far is worth considering. As far as where they are made, the Primo is the only one I'm aware of that is made in the USA. I think the BGE is made in Mexico and the Kamado Joe is made in China. I thought about these things as well as I was investigating ceramic kamados. All I can say about it is that these manufacturers take a lot of pride in their product. No matter where they are made, each of these three (KJ, Primo, BGE) seem to be top quality grills.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I can only speak for the Large BGE I love mine. If I really fill it with lump I know I can get 24 hrs for a low and slow cook easily
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Jason TQ

Another egg owner that loves it, but I agree you will probably be happy with either as they are both great. So go with your gut.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

I have an Egg...like it a lot but I'd get the KJ if I were getting another one... More goodies for the money, prefer the shelf layout on the KJ (BGE) angled slightly inward, slightly thicker ceramics in certain areas (where the halves meet) and fewer reports of gasket problems. Also like the color choices... Would love to have the red one. The dealer would influence my decision... If one dealer was primarily a BBQ supply store and knew what he/she was talking about, I'd go with that one over a store simply sold them in addition to lawn mowers and plumbing supplies. Ask the dealer how they handle warranty issues... My Egg dealer will replace a cracked firebox or fire ring out of his own stock and get BGE to send him a new one. No freight costs. (Never had anything crack, though). KJ seems to have their act together... New dealers popping up all the time.

If considering the XL Egg or Big Joe KJ, check the newest KJ... I think they made the dome on the new ones a bit higher, but I'm not sure.

Found this: (on the Egghead forum, of all places) http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1...ve-new-big-joe

Looks like they have raised the "shoulders" of the KJ, making the dome appear flatter.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

I have had my KJ over four years now, still on the original gasket. I love it. There are minor cosmetic differences, but the food will ultimately be the same. Differences I have seen, thicker, comes fully assembled, better finished hardwood, powdercoated steel, bigger dome thermo and cost less. No brainer to me. All the top ceramics are great choices and you would be no worse off getting either one.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I'd probably go with a KJ. Save a few bucks. Just as good or perhaps better product. I'm also digging the heat deflector comes in two pieces, like the Primo.
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
I'd probably go with a KJ. Save a few bucks. Just as good or perhaps better product. I'm also digging the heat deflector comes in two pieces, like the Primo.
Unfortunately, the two-piece heat deflector is an accessory for the Big Joe. The Kamado Joe Classic model heat deflector is a single piece. I'd love to see that option added for the KJ Classic myself, but I will come up with a work-around in the mean time. I will probably take my angle grinder to another pizza pan that is the same size as the heat deflector and cut out the inside of half of it.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
Unfortunately, the two-piece heat deflector is an accessory for the Big Joe. The Kamado Joe Classic model heat deflector is a single piece. I'd love to see that option added for the KJ Classic myself, but I will come up with a work-around in the mean time. I will probably take my angle grinder to another pizza pan that is the same size as the heat deflector and cut out the inside of half of it.
I did not know that. That is one of the reasons why I'm still considering a Primo, love the 2 zone set up. I actually do a lot of my grilling like that on my 22 Weber. I hate removing the platesetter on my egg, such a pita.
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
Plaid Palace
On the road to being a farker

I am getting a Kamado Joe for Christmas. I don't have a link but go to naked whiz and read their review of the KJ.
Plaid Palace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #15
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
I did not know that. That is one of the reasons why I'm still considering a Primo, love the 2 zone set up. I actually do a lot of my grilling like that on my 22 Weber. I hate removing the platesetter on my egg, such a pita.
That setup on the Primo Oval XL is indeed nice with the split heat deflector. I hope that Kamado Joe does something similar in the future because I'll be the first kid in line to buy one if they do. The metal rack that holds the deflector in the KL Classic is a 3-prong holder for the round diffuser stone, so that configuration would have to change up a little to hold a half stone.