MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #661
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by discmen95 View Post
Oh, and Meijer has limited store locations, so I didn't pay any tax. The savings over getting it at Lowes (also had the 6719 model) was around $50.00, which will pay for the mods that I have been lead to believe are necessary. Question, should I run the grill first to check for leaks, or do the mods before?
CANCEL YOUR ORDER - you goofed, after all everyone knows RED cookers cook better just kidding of course

Also buy a charcoal grate for a Weber 22.5" kettle and a 14" pizza pan to use as a flame diverter. That is the only mod to do prior to your seasoning run.

Seems like the manufacturer has figured out how to build those puppies.

ENJOY :-)
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #662
discmen95
Knows what a fatty is.

Wow, scared me there for a second. Question, pizza pan as opposed to pizza stone? Do they both act equally well as a deflector? Pros of one over the other? I actually saw a 14.5 inch stone with handles, which I thought might allow for slow followed by sear (easy to lift off). Thanks.
discmen95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #663
capnrob97
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Wow, scared me there for a second. Question, pizza pan as opposed to pizza stone? Do they both act equally well as a deflector? Pros of one over the other? I actually saw a 14.5 inch stone with handles, which I thought might allow for slow followed by sear (easy to lift off). Thanks.
I tried a stone in mine, it cracked.
capnrob97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #664
discmen95
Knows what a fatty is.

Yea, returned my stone and got a cast iron griddle from Academy Sports for $20.00 dollars shipped.
discmen95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #665
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Yea, returned my stone and got a cast iron griddle from Academy Sports for $20.00 dollars shipped.
I'm interested in the $20 griddle tho I'm using a terracotta flower pot tray very happily.

Please remember its all about having fun - you bought a good cooker, you will do well especially if while cooking you marinate your innerds with an adult beverage or two
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #666
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

I've had my akorn for about 4 months now and have used it a whole lot. couldn't be happier. How is everyone's CGK holding up? I am noticing a little rust forming right around the top vent. I try to keep it covered, but there have been a couple times an unexpected rain arrived before I got the cover on.

Also, should I be concerned about the amount of build-up on the inside? do you guys clean yours out, or let it season? or am I the only one with this build up? been looking for some "Akorn: 1 year later" type threads to know what to expect and compare how mine is holding up
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #667
Theopiateden
Got rid of the matchlight.

I've had mine for about a year now and wouldn't ever use another cooker. I love this thing! The only issue I've run into it the top vent gets sticky from, I'm assuming, grease. So after each use, it makes it harder to open the next time. I usually cant get it to budge unless i fire it with a butane torch for a couple second to "melt" the grease. Anybody else have this problem? If so, what has been your solution?
Theopiateden is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #668
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I've had mine 14 months now and it's my only grille that gets any use.

A few of us have had the top vent sticking problem, especially during the winter. Hit it with some cooking spray now and then, that loosens it up.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #669
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

If anyone is thinking about purchasing an Akorn, I would suggest waiting until after the 4th of July. I purchased two @ $149.00 each on clearance at Kroger.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #670
Kave Dweller
Take a breath!

WE have one, we use it for steaks at comps because it doesn't hold low temps for the life of it. We can't find a leak, but the temp increases all the time. we've tried tape, we've tried RTV, it just runs hot all day, so we use it for steaks at about 500 degrees now.

Creators of "Reverse Shigging": When your competition wants to know what your doing so they know what doesn't work.
Kave Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #671
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave Dweller View Post
WE have one, we use it for steaks at comps because it doesn't hold low temps for the life of it. We can't find a leak, but the temp increases all the time. we've tried tape, we've tried RTV, it just runs hot all day, so we use it for steaks at about 500 degrees now.
This is very odd. I have done no mods to mine and I can hold as low as 200 easy.
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #672
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdisciple View Post
This is very odd. I have done no mods to mine and I can hold as low as 200 easy.
X2, never have made any mods to mine but can keep 225 temps with no problems.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #673
MidNightBBQ
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hi folks, this is my first post here in the forum. I was going to start out asking the ins-and-outs of the Char-Griller kookers before I purchased one, but there was a delay in approving my membership to the forum. Meanwhile I called around to local Lowes, Home Depot and Menards and found the LAST Char-Griller Akorn in stock anywhere (in my area) at Menards, so I had them hold it and I ran out and grabbed it. $299 with an 11% mail in rebate, pretty good on the price!
I got the red one, I assume its a newer model, has the cast top damper, I'm wondering what else I should look for to tell if its a newer or older model, and what might need to be tweaked a bit if this isn't the latest version?
I JUST got it assembled, took a break to post this and have a moment of "meditation" and now I am going out to light the first fire and season the cast iron grill with Crisco. (I did watch most of JMSetzlers most excellent videos on YouTube last night)
Any tips you guys have for an Akorn newb I would appreciate it...
MidNightBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #674
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

Just saw this, guess I found my new future toy. Was thinking about BGE but alway thought the price was kin of crazy. Besides this will go well with my Char Griller duo
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #675
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

My favorite mod to my Akorn. Bought a 7.5 quart stainless spaghetti strainer. 29$ at BedBathBeyond. I used that as my "charcoal basket" in my Akorn. It gives me about 50% area hot and searing, and an area off to the side for veggies etc

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado