MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Home Farm BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Justin
Default Chicken wings questions?

Making around 200 wings for Christmas get together. I’m fine with making the wings. Looking for a couple suggestions in regards to cambro and transferring wings.

Picking up fresh cut wings Friday. We will be leaving from Iowa going to Michigan. 9 hour drive. Will have cambro with some ice in it to keep wings cool. Could freeze wings and leave Saturday too?

My in laws won’t have fridge space. My first concern is keeping them at the correct temps to avoid any bacteria. Will a big bag of ice in cambro hold temps. Cambro will be in garage that isn’t heated. Will need to hold temps in cambro until Monday to cook them. My first thought is to put probe in cambro to monitor which should work. Keep below 40 degrees. Just want others opinions if an easier way exists.

I’ll be using vortex on 26 inch weber kettle to cook the wings.

Second question is what is the best way to preserve meat temps once cooked and transferring to Christmas at 5 pm. I’ve used a cambro in the past to cook 400 wings and we transferred in and out with some success. I felt they weren’t kept hot enough.

Any tips from others would be appreciated. I have hotel pans for cambro and can cover with foil to hold the heat. That would be my plan now and add to roaster once there. Didn’t know if sterno heat or something along those lines would be better to warm once out of cambro?

Thanks for any responses in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Home Farm BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
mzed
Found some matches.

You should be fine on the 9 hour drive with the wings packed in plenty of ice. After that it is a long way until Monday to keep them below 40 in a cooler. Check into getting a rental refrigerator delivered to your in-laws place for Friday. 200 wings is a terrible thing to waste if they turn on you.

As a side note that must be on heck of a party you are having! 200 wings is a whole lot of food! Have a great time. :)
mzed is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Is sourcing the wings at your destination an option? Might be more simple.

If not, ice in cambro should be good for quite a while. Plus, I remember when we'd be visiting family in Chicago and the fridges would get all filled up, the garage was plenty cold - like well below 40 so we'd just set stuff in there with no worries. I'm guessing it's a little chilly in Michigan right about now.

I'd say cambro/roaster for the hot part sounds pretty dang good. Also, there's gel packs you can get that are good for both cold and hot. For hot, you just nuke 'em for several minutes and throw 'em in with whatever you want to keep warm. I've used them a few times with good results:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/mic.../45010543.html
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
OldGlory
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Eric

Good excuse to buy a Yeti cooler and some extra cold ice packs

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
Home Farm BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGlory View Post
Good excuse to buy a Yeti cooler and some extra cold ice packs

I have a yeti to use if needed with a cold pack.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #6
Home Farm BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Is sourcing the wings at your destination an option? Might be more simple.

If not, ice in cambro should be good for quite a while. Plus, I remember when we'd be visiting family in Chicago and the fridges would get all filled up, the garage was plenty cold - like well below 40 so we'd just set stuff in there with no worries. I'm guessing it's a little chilly in Michigan right about now.

I'd say cambro/roaster for the hot part sounds pretty dang good. Also, there's gel packs you can get that are good for both cold and hot. For hot, you just nuke 'em for several minutes and throw 'em in with whatever you want to keep warm. I've used them a few times with good results:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/mic.../45010543.html

Buying closer would have been easier, but I’m picky and know what I’m getting for quality and price.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
Home Farm BBQ

Got wings Thursday night fresh. Froze them overnight and put in cambro with 20# bag of ice for the trip Friday. Bag of ice is in hotel pan on bottom with wings in another pan at top of cambro.

Garage in michigan is 45 right now. Wings are still frozen. Shouldn’t have any issues holding until Monday to eat. I’ll brine Monday morning.

I hate not having fridge space. I’ll keep checking, but chicken makes me paranoid. Any concerns from what I’m doing? I would feel better if garage was 40 or below.

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #8
campdude
Babbling Farker

If you're that worried, get some dry ice. They'll still be frozen solid until you take them out of the Cambro.
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->