First overnight smoke

BrandonBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First time smoking overnight on the WSM.

8# pork butt @ 225 for as long as it takes. Gonna try to leave it no foil the whole time. Oakridge BBQ Game Changing Brine and the Competition Pork Rub. First time with no water but smoking in pan with apple juice.

Dinner tomorrow around 5pm.

Ill be up at 4am (6 hours to check temp).
ab176922166897d8d120a9215d06d639.jpg
bbc0cd76bfe9a824bcd037a5ad4d4782.jpg
cbe7e85c6648c70e1789fb35e33444ea.jpg
daabd2ff02a73136019c2dc08d12aee9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The first time is always fun, waking up to check the temp, waking up because you think the coals might die out, waking up because..well, there's an all night cook going on. Once you do it a couple times it's a piece of cake. Let us know how it came out.

Overnight cook when you are eating at 5 pm?

Going to be up at 4 am to check temps?

ok- if that's what you want to do. Never got the appeal of the overnight cook. (unless you were eating at noon-and there are ways around that too.)

Smoke on, brother.

I did a few of these when I first started, now I wake up early (5ish) and cook hotter.

Good luck, that's a fine looking cut of meat.

That will be done way before dinner When done put it in a warm cooler- pour hot/boiling water in it to get it warm or put in a warm oven at the lowest temp to hold the meat and keep warm

Probably too late but inject apple juice before cook, pan full of juice won't do much.

Overnight cook when you are eating at 5 pm?

Going to be up at 4 am to check temps?

ok- if that's what you want to do. Never got the appeal of the overnight cook. (unless you were eating at noon-and there are ways around that too.)

Smoke on, brother.
Overnight basically due to a newborn and time constraints. 4am check just because i was nervous about it catching fire (first time jitters). Was sitting at about 160 this morning when I got up at 5.

The shoulder is currently sitting at 180* IT. I'm just going to let it keep going at 225* until it gets to about 195* then start checking for tenderness. I have had the best luck with my cooks around 203*.

It was injected with Oakridge Game Changer a few hours before I threw it on last night, the pan of juice is to keep moisture as I am running this cook without water in the pan for the first time.

I had to add a bit more Basques fuel about a half hour ago since the pit temp was coming down a little. I expect it to be done by about 1pm, will let it rest for at least an hour.

Questions:
- Will it be safe in a cooler for 2 hours?
- Best way to reheat since we actually aren't eating until closer to 7?
- Any suggestions on new sauces to try (storebought)? I've been obsessed with Stubbs sweet heat, and my wife is rolling the sticky sweet.

It smelled pretty damn good in the WSM when I checked this morning [emoji1786]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Heat a cooler with hot water, then empty it. Foil the meat, then wrap in a couple of towels. Place in cooler, and fill the cooler with more towels. Will still be screaming hot several hours later...

Keeping it hot is no big deal. Leave it whole - cooler it like a couple of Brothers have hinted and you'll be great. It will be hot enough after 4 hours to still burn your fingers as you pull it.

Understanding about newborns and time constraints. Was not sure if you wanted to do an overnight just to say you did it. I had that same urge- did it once and crossed it off my list :grin:

i have had a whole butts still too hot to handle without gloves 6 hours later in a cooler

Shoulder is now at 191* and slowly going. Hopefully it turns out good. I've got a portable space heater heating up the cooler now so it should be nice and hot by the time the pork is done.

We are leaving here at about 5:30, so I figure I have at least an hour cook left (3:30), and we will be eating about 3-4 hours after that.

So I'm somewhat worried I just went to check, its at 197* but it feels a little harder than my other ones have. It's been smoking for about 16 hours at this point at 225.

Should I leave it on or take it off and wrap? Kill me if it's tough.

There is nothing magical about 225*- you just eat later. At 197*, you are in the homes stretch. Were me and it was being ornery, I'd have put the spurs to it- kicked it to 300 or so. Stall? What stall?

So I'm somewhat worried I just went to check, its at 197* but it feels a little harder than my other ones have. It's been smoking for about 16 hours at this point at 225.

Should I leave it on or take it off and wrap? Kill me if it's tough.

*225 pit for an 8lb butt is about 16 hours....about 2 hrs./lb. Right on target. Should be great.

Back