A question for the BBq/Grillers

T

The Squire

About 4 years ago my friend had a summer housewarming party and when it came to cooking up the burgers, he made a whole crap load of burgers.

These burgers were the ones you get at Price Club or something, prepackaged...100% burger, no leanness or anything..lol Really fattening.

We ate the first batch of burgers and he had put more on the grill right?

All of a sudden theres black smoke coming up and out of the closed lid! I mean like black smoke like if you burn a comb or a piece of black plastic! The grill is a black modeled gas grill.

The gas grill started flaring and when he opened the hood the black smoke just came pouring out! We told him to turn off the 3 knobs and then carefully try and turn off the gas! lol It was crazy!!!!!

What caused this?

My theory was so much fat from the burgers and maybe a clogged up drip pan caused a flare up...but the Black smoke? It was scary but then we, as men being men, laughed our asses off and continued to eat! hahaaaaaaaaaaa

What happened with that smoke and all?

Dense black smoke is indicative of incomplete combustion of the present hydrocarbons and other volatile componds, organic and inorganic, that may have accumulated in said cooking device, likely from the rendering of non-protein based animal remains present in the foodstuffs prepared on said cooking device.

Harbormaster said:
Dense black smoke is indicative of incomplete combustion of the present hydrocarbons and other volatile componds, organic and inorganic, that may have accumulated in said cooking device, likely from the rendering of non-protein based animal remains present in the foodstuffs prepared on said cooking device.

Grease Fire!

Harbormaster said:

:eek: WTF!!!Captain Nemo secret decoder ring set to 21x

Tranlasted above text to FIRE!!!!!!

:mrgreen: :wink:

Harbormaster said:

What he said!

Dang Phil I almost pee'd my pants when I read your post had to hold in the laughter I'm at work and they just wouldn't understand

BBQchef33 said:
:eek: WTF!!!Captain Nemo secret decoder ring set to 21x

Tranlasted above text to FIRE!!!!!!

:mrgreen: :wink:

At least is wasn't ....

[after cracking a secret code]
Ralphie: [Reading it] Be sure to drink your Ovaltine. Ovaltine? A crummy commercial? Son of a bitch!

Ya gotta love A Christmas Story!

grillfella said:
get rid of the gas grill Squire

UH--I beg to differ!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a gas grill, used for the purpose intended!

Want some quick burgers or hot dogs or even a good (not great) steak with little time?
The gas grill, especially with some wood chips for flavor, works just fine----thank you! :lol:

FWIW.

TIM

I agree with Tim. A gas grill is a tool that has it's place in the yard.

We loved our gas grill to cook food quickly. Nothing worse than having 2 little girls whining about being hungry waiting for the damn coals to get ready.......of course I have no other option right now since Andy torched our gas grill on Christmas Day.:mad: At least he has a brush burner to help speed things along.:|

Sounds like Andy may need some time on the couch until he gets you a new gasser!:biggrin:

jt said:
I agree with Tim. A gas grill is a tool that has it's place in the yard.

Yeah, to preheat my wood for my BSnP.
I can have my Performer up and running in about 12-15 mins.
It took the last gas grill I had 10 mins. to warm up enough to heat the wood chips to smoke, so what the difference except its eaiser and maybe less cost for fuel.
There is something very basic or primal in cooking over wood and coal.

timzcardz said:
At least is wasn't ....

[after cracking a secret code]
Ralphie: [Reading it] Be sure to drink your Ovaltine. Ovaltine? A crummy commercial? Son of a bitch!

Ya gotta love A Christmas Story!

Now that was funny!!!

I love to cook over real wood and real charcoal, and real manly fire.
But.

There are times when health, and physical constraints prevent that. Then my choice is cooking over gas, outside, or cooking over gas, inside. I much prefer cooking outside.

I think the problem some of us have is our comparasions. It is not mostly about choosing to cook with wood or gas, but about cooking outside with gas or cooking inside. When we have the time and energy, real live fire cooking wins out every time. But sometimes the choice is the gasser, or the range. I choose the gasser, outside. Just me.

Back