Mak Griddle?

cfi1234

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok another couple of Mak questions....
1. Is it worth it to get the griddle? or could I achieve the same results just using a cast iron griddle?
2. Does adding the bottom shelf allow the unit to be more stable or is it just for storage? My budget is forcing me to decide between the front shelf, bottom shelf, and the griddle. I am able to start with 2, but not all 3. Which do you recommend? Also, will the cover fit over the unit with the front shelf added?
Thanks

I use a Lodge, here is my fist cook.

Already had the Lodge before purchasing the MAK and use it quite a bit on the Weber Kettle too. I passed on the Front Shelf because it's only like 7"/8" deep not paying that for such a small shelf, I really like the bottom storage shelf.

OhYV9Rc.jpg

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I've never had an interest in the MAK griddle. I do know that the teflon treated aluminum surface does have a maximum degree of heat that it can be exposed to. I believe that MAK will tell you not to exceed a 400 degree set-point on the Pellet Boss... but you should probably double check that recommendation with them. I have found a cast iron griddle to work very well on the MAK! I also have a set of MAK's sear grates... they work really well! As to your question, I had the bottom shelf on my 1 Star and loved it. It was a nice storage area, gave the cooker a more finished look and I cant imagine that it did not provide some additional stability. As to the front shelf, I did not have one... but I did have a side shelf which I used a LOT... loved it. My vote would be the bottom shelf and a side shelf (unless you are insistent on the front shelf...lol). The side shelf helps the MAK cover to fit better as well. Also, yes... the MAK cover will fit over a front shelf.

Thanks everyone. I am just trying to make sure I don't waste my money on accessories that aren't worth it.

The side shelf helps the MAK cover to fit better as well. Also, yes... the MAK cover will fit over a front shelf.
Would skip the MAK cover too, purchased this for $27, heavy duty and will last quite a long time, think it would easily fit a 1Star with a side shelf.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R4J5M8U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also the great thing about MAK is if your not sure you want it now you can always order it later, shipping is included in the price. I asked :wink:

Would skip the MAK cover too, purchased this for $27, heavy duty and will last quite a long time, think it would easily fit a 1Star with a side shelf.

Ah, c'mon brother... that's no way to "represent!" You've gotta toss gobs of $$$ down the drain if your gonna do it well... LOL!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R4J5M8U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also the great thing about MAK is if your not sure you want it now you can always order it later, shipping is included in the price. I asked :wink:

I put one on my Camp Chef, it has held up well, but faded badly. It is about a year old. I would recommend the "Ravena" brand from Amazon. It is tan and I have one that is about 1.5 years old that looks almost like new. It costs a few more buck ~$35.

So I have mak 1 with bottom shelf side shelf seat grateX2 griddleX1 flame zone full upper and 3/4 upper and WiFi & cover...

I love the *%#* out of that unicorn cooker. If I were to not have gotten any of the add ons? Griddle would be 1st to go. No question. Can get what I need out of cast iron or other griddle pan or upside down grillgrates...

Next would be sear grates (only if using grillgrates instead).

WiFi is more a trifle than necessity; I like to see where things are remotely but totally don’t really need it...

Great point and thanks for the link...what size cover do you think would fit? The medium you linked to? Shoot for $30 buck I could get 2..lol

So I have mak 1 with bottom shelf side shelf seat grateX2 griddleX1 flame zone full upper and 3/4 upper and WiFi & cover...

I love the *%#* out of that unicorn cooker. If I were to not have gotten any of the add ons? Griddle would be 1st to go. No question. Can get what I need out of cast iron or other griddle pan or upside down grillgrates...

Next would be sear grates (only if using grillgrates instead).

WiFi is more a trifle than necessity; I like to see where things are remotely but totally don’t really need it...

I was thinking in a similar way. I can monitor temps using a Thermaworks Smoke or something similar.

Great point and thanks for the link...what size cover do you think would fit? The medium you linked to? Shoot for $30 buck I could get 2..lol
The one I linked should work, that's what I ordered, I don't have a side shelf but if I did I think it would fit perfectly.

Ok, so I think I will just go with the bottom shelf, full upper rack, and the side shelf. I will just pick up an aftermarket cover and a lodge griddle...thanks for the help everyone...you saved me $. Now I only wish I could order from BPS, but I live in California and the taxes will kill me, so I'm going to have to order it from Make directly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

When I bought my MAK I bought it through BPS, even thought I live in Calif. One reason is the BPS points that you earn almost even out on the taxes I felt. Used the points earned on a shelf for the MAK.

When I bought my MAK I bought it through BPS, even thought I live in Calif. One reason is the BPS points that you earn almost even out on the taxes I felt. Used the points earned on a shelf for the MAK.
I ended up ordering it from Make directly... I still saved some money not having to pay taxes...at least I'm joining the Mak family of owners

I ended up ordering it from Make directly... I still saved some money not having to pay taxes...at least I'm joining the Mak family of owners

Congrats, you're going to love it.

Welcome to the MAK family :)

One thing I absolutely love about having a pellet grill, especially a nice one that’ll easily and quickly get up to the higher baking temps (400°+) is how easy and convenient it is to use as an oven during the hot summer months. We use ours a lot for that. Example, tonight we had a simple dinner of chicken wings and fries. Wings on the Weber kettle and fires baked on the MAK. They were really good with just a very mild hint of woodsy smoke :)

Back