MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Default Ribs and Pork

Hey Brethren!

I just finished a contest this weekend. I came in 14th overall out of 30 teams. I was happy. Goal was to crack the top 15. I did that.

Ribs and Pork tend to be my nemesis.

I bite the ribs and seem to achieve one bite and not fall off the bone. I am asking for some help. Any tricks of the trade, special rubs, certain sauce, anything that could help.

When it comes to pork, it seems as if when I slice it and pull it, the butt seems to lose heat rather fact. How can I prevent this. I think that when my food hit's the judge's table, it's luke warm at best.

I am not asking to give away secrets, just seeing if anyone can help a brother out.
Qbert60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbert60 View Post

When it comes to pork, it seems as if when I slice it and pull it, the butt seems to lose heat rather fact. How can I prevent this. I think that when my food hit's the judge's table, it's luke warm at best.
The temp is probably not the problem. Unless you sauce your pork, it will dry out real fast. That may be what is hurting you.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

For pork... Don't open it until 25 minutes before turn in, if not later depending on how long it takes you to process it and how many butts you are cooking. Be sure to sauce it with warm/nearly hot sauce. It shouldn't be too hot but a good warm sauce will keep the first bit or two from the judges nice and warm. Make sure to sauce all sides of every piece of meat.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
mjl
On the road to being a farker

Are you injecting your butt's? If not, it may be worth considering.

ML

Old 08-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl View Post
Are you injecting your butt's? If not, it may be worth considering.

ML
I am injecting the butts. I am cooking the butts at about 275. I start them around 1am to 1:30. They are done around 7-8am. I let them set until about 20 minutes prior. Am I starting them too early?

I am cooking them on my UDS.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I cook at 250 and put my butts on around 1am as well. If you are at 275, it might be worth it to put them on later so they finish up a little later in the cook. Not sure how this would effect your timeline with regards to other meats and space in the cooker.

Just something to think about.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

share your scores. it'll help focus on the weakness/strengths of your turn in.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
share your scores. it'll help focus on the weakness/strengths of your turn in.
This is from my last contest this weekend

Ribs - 887, 787, 787, 887, 886, 877 - Placed 21st out of 30
Pork - 889, 988, 788, 877, 787, 978 - placed 17th out of 30

I know that I throw out my lowest score.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Tim H
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbert60 View Post
I am injecting the butts. I am cooking the butts at about 275. I start them around 1am to 1:30. They are done around 7-8am. I let them set until about 20 minutes prior. Am I starting them too early?

I am cooking them on my UDS.

Your cook time seems short given the temp that you are cooking at. Assuming that you are cooking Butts, how many pounds are they? Bone in or out? What internal temp are you taking them off at? What are you turning in with the box - slices, chunks, pulled?
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I think the "perfect bite mark" theory can be very misleading. The fact of the matter is that you can achieve a nice round half moon shaped bite mark on a rib that is not tender.

It does need to be a bite that leaves the rest of the meat on the bone, but if you take a bite and there is meat stuck to the bone that does not easily come off, then they aren't ready. The meat needs to release from the bone with a bite, but not from the rest of the meat.

This concept confused me for a long time. IMHO this is the goal.

Notice its a clean bite, but its not a half moon. Its a little jagged because the meat wasn't just cut by my teeth. The meat fibers broke because it was tender enough that my teeth didn't have to cut it. Also the bone is clean under the bite because the connective tissue holding the meat to the bones had broken down enough to release from the bone.

This is not "fallin off the bone". Its well before that.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Good lookin rib!

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
sweetracks
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Qbert. It was great being next to you this past weekend. I think most teams were scratching their heads over at least one category (chicken for us). I think if you wait another hour or so to put them on they will be a little better. We put ours in at 2 cooked at 240 degrees and don't pull them off until about 930-10. Look forward to seeing you guys again in Sept.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #13
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Hey Qbert - It looks like Taste and Tenderness are you biggest concerns based on your scores. I am not going to ask what rub or sauce you are using but let me tell you from experience - it should be somewhat sweet in Michigan.

AS for your Butts I would ask why 275 ? A little lower and a little slower seems to work good for us. We put ours on at about 1:00am and cook at 245 and pull them around 9:00amish...

Sorry I didnt get a chance to meet you this weekend, hope to meet you soon!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #14
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetracks View Post
Hey Qbert. It was great being next to you this past weekend. I think most teams were scratching their heads over at least one category (chicken for us). I think if you wait another hour or so to put them on they will be a little better. We put ours in at 2 cooked at 240 degrees and don't pull them off until about 930-10. Look forward to seeing you guys again in Sept.
You guys were fun! I still think the name is the best ever. Try to stay away from the bag-o-light-of-charcoal and you might keep your eyebrows. HA! I think that might work. I just fear or them sitting too long? See you in Monroe!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72 View Post
Hey Qbert - It looks like Taste and Tenderness are you biggest concerns based on your scores. I am not going to ask what rub or sauce you are using but let me tell you from experience - it should be somewhat sweet in Michigan.

AS for your Butts I would ask why 275 ? A little lower and a little slower seems to work good for us. We put ours on at about 1:00am and cook at 245 and pull them around 9:00amish...

Sorry I didnt get a chance to meet you this weekend, hope to meet you soon!!
Great job on the Chicken, Pork, and Brisket calls this weekend! Only reason I said 275 is the fluctuation between temps. 265 - 285. I was having Rich's (IBQ'n) problem with one of my UDS's. But it's happened before. See you in silver lake! Stop by for a beer!