Sunday Game-Day Cook - New England & Pittsburgh Penguins: Look Out!

btcg

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Geez Louise, it's been a long-time since I posted one of my cooks. So, taking a friends advice, I got out the camera and snapped a few as I got started this morning.

Little background: it's Sunday (it is for you too? Imagine!), and I set the alarm for 5:30 am.

My plan? To have my brisket done, rested and ready for 4:30 pm game time: Ravens vs Pats.

I prepared much of it last night: cleaned and loaded the BWS Chubster with charcoal and smoking wood, and fine-butchered my briskie and injected it.

I actually talked the wife into letting me inject and use real rub. Not the sodium-less placebo I'm normally forced to use.

My wifey, you see, is a health-nut. She's like Shiz-Nit's wife in that way.

If you have a wife like that, or are contemplating getting one, you might want to give the idea some serious consideration. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my wife, and realize that she only does this because she cares for me, and wants me around longer. And... I truly appreciate that. Maybe it's just that... well... nobody likes to see the executioner smile, eh?

So, 5:30 rears its ugly head, and I stick right to my plan: I roll over and tell the wifey to set it for 6:30 am: I'm gettin me another hour of that sweet, weekend sleep we all know... and LOVE!

So, 6:25 peeks out, and I deal with it: I get up, quickly dress, and start heading down the stairs for the kitchen.
It's as you approach the last stair that you appreciate the fact that you spent the extra 5 minutes the night before, preparing the morning coffee. You coffee drinkers need say nothing. A quiet nod, will suffice.

So, after a quick flip of the coffee-maker's knob, I reach into the fridge and grab the bag that hold the marinating bag of gourmet wonderment:

3.jpg

Marinating goodness: utter joy (if that's possible that early in the AM)

First order of business: get that fire goin. I, myself have changed (fine-tuned, one might say) this method somewhat over the years (yes Virginia, gasoline and early morning judgement: not a good idea, in retrospect, many years later).

These day, I like these little parafin cubes that Weber sells for this purpose:

4.jpg

Primitive man discovers fire

So after a quick lite (they really are easy to use), I back inside the nice warm house to add my rub. As I noted last night, the winner of last night's VERY unofficial rub showdown was Simply Marvelous, with their Cherry Rub. So while the fire began Minioning away, I applied my first coating of cherry rub.

After a good cup of coffee, a nice unbothered trip to the reading room (to read about the exploits of the glorious Detroit Red Wings), I put on my final coating (I heard that! Yes, I washed my hands after... and washed em well, thank you!) of Cherry Rub:

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

After a bit o' time, when my beautiful blue smoke appeared (aided by my 12 oz of cherry wood, no doubt), and my temps had climbed sufficiently, I loaded my pretty little Chubster up, and she was off.

6.jpg

I won't be opening her up till the 3:30-4:30 range, when I'm "feelin it" so to speak.

On tap fer todays games: Caps vs Penguins (12:30 PM)

Ravens vs Pat-riots (pre-game stuff starts @ 3 pm)

Bout noon, I'll peel me these 2 large rutabegas I have, cut em into small cubes, and boil em until they're soft. Then I'll mash and season them. Already made up a batch of cole-slaw.

UM-UM good!

Looking good so far!

$6.99/lb for brisket :shock: Have you used the brisket from Whole Foods before? Is it that much better?

Ron,

This brisket comes from Montgomery County cows, who are fed a morning breakfast of caviar. :becky:

Actually, this was the only briskie I could find. Seems that the people in Montgomery County are too good to eat brisket. So Whole Foods had the only 3 briskets in town (if I didn't want to drive to Alexandria, VA, that is), and this one had the best marbling.

This ought to be good. Never did a cherry brisket before (does something about that sound funny?): both rub and wood were cherry, and it smells amazing.

I'll post some after pics, later.

Here's a silent nod from a devout coffee drinker and lover of brisket, looking forward to your finish!

"Many have eaten here, few have died"

I suppose that they also get fish pedicures and snake massages?

http://www.oddee.com/item_97153.aspx

:becky:

I'm interested to hear about the SM Cherry on brisket. I normally use sweet rubs on pork and chicken.

OMG- I hope I don't have any neighbors into that stuff... although the wine bath looks interesting.

I guess if you're gonna bathe in wine, red is the way to go... over white wines.

Too many white wines have a yellowish tint to em, and you'd never know if.... welll... you get the picture.

YUCK... forget 'getting the picture''''... TMI.

I'm interested to hear about the SM Cherry on brisket. I normally use sweet rubs on pork and chicken.

Well, that's Terry's choice, so I'm obliged to honor it. I'll make up a nice Au Jus with the drippings and Minor's Au Jus sauce. I don't mind showing that, now that Myron has openly shown it in his book. Before that, I felt compelled not to. But he opened the door.

--As a quick aside: to really bring out the full potential of the injection, I have altered Myron's recipe a bit, and those who have tried it agree with the change.

Mix the Minor's Beef base and Minor's Au Jus per his recipe, but stop there, and add one large tablespoon of ground ginger. Mix it well.

Before you inject, take a taste. IMHO, it really perks up the marinade nicely: there's something magical and extremely tasty about this combination.--

My sides should help to round it: my cole slaw is a bit sweet. I use Whole Food's organic brown sugar, and to give it a bit of bite and contrast, I use horseradish with a bit of vinergar. It's really quite good, if I do say so myself.

The rutabega (I treat it like mashed potatoes) gives the whole dish balance, as I love that earthy goodness root vegetables provide.

Ought to be a good dinner.

Back