MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob
Default Found a drum...Need help

My trusty helper. I caught him cross eyed and ear bent. He actually loosened the bolt all on his own with just a little help.

The drum and the new spare kettle parts I have.

I took the used lid and bottom from my grill and replaced old with new. Now I have a semi new grill and I'll use the old lid and bottom on the UDS.

I can't remember who's the expert at making the UDS with kettle lids and bottom flanges. Will the expert please let me know what to do here. The kettle lid does not fit the drum itself snuggly. I will need to cut the bowl and make a flange. But as you can see if i set the bowl in the drum, it will almost fall right in once I cut off the handle. I think I'm going to need to put the drum lid and band back on and then cut the drum lid out in order to allow the kettle flange to sit up a little higher and receive the lid properly. I hope you guys know what I mean.

I was at HD and was going to buy the coal grate, screws and chit but I decided to go home and see how cheap I could make this thing. Well I wont' need bolts to hold up the grate. I took some conduit hooks and flattened them out. They will get a metal screw to hold them in place and then a spot weld to keep them there.
The drum has some rust, but a good burn, then a good grinding will take care of it. I didn't want to use the kettle lid, but I kinda had to because the two screw caps on the drum lid are made of plastic so the lid is sorta useless. I check back to see what you guys have recommended.
Thanks
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I didn't want to use the kettle lid, but I kinda had to because the two screw caps on the drum lid are made of plastic so the lid is sorta useless.
You can pick up pipe plugs the right size at the box stores.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:50 AM   #3
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Bob if needed I can send you as many of those metal caps to fit that lid as you want in both sizes. The postal service is a bit s l o w but they will get there.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2008, 03:05 AM   #4
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well I'm no expert, but I've cut up 8 kettles for the "flange" and none of the open top drums fit all that securely, but none of them fall into the drum. I have put High-temp silicone on a couple, but they are mostly for holding the lid on without them teetering on the lip of the drum. Take a look at the fifth picture in this build and you can see how it sets.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&postcount=211
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

My lid wouldn't sit on the lip properly either, but I just took my grinder and thinned it down. Now I have a nice tight fit.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
Norcoredneck

Just a heads up, those hooks you are using look qalvanized or zink plated.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
BobBrisket

Thanks fellas.
I forgot that by using the kettle lid I could add a second grate. Now I don't feel so bad about using it afterall. Thanks for the offers on the screw caps though.
Brian..I think you were the one who had PM'd me some info. In the 9th pic where both lids are hanging on the drum I can barely see what looks like two screws in the flange. Do you screw the flange into the drum so it sits higher? I guess I need to grind the handle off and just go from there.
Norco--The bag that those hooks came in don't say either zinc or galvanized. Anyone know for sure if they are?

I'm going to yhe Outlaws today. My FIL has some scrap metal and expando I can use. Guys, is it safe to use rebar and angle iron? Is there such a thing as galvanized rebar or AI?
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Thanks fellas.
I forgot that by using the kettle lid I could add a second grate. Now I don't feel so bad about using it afterall. Thanks for the offers on the screw caps though.
Brian..I think you were the one who had PM'd me some info. In the 9th pic where both lids are hanging on the drum I can barely see what looks like two screws in the flange. Do you screw the flange into the drum so it sits higher? I guess I need to grind the handle off and just go from there.
Norco--The bag that those hooks came in don't say either zinc or galvanized. Anyone know for sure if they are?

I'm going to yhe Outlaws today. My FIL has some scrap metal and expando I can use. Guys, is it safe to use rebar and angle iron? Is there such a thing as galvanized rebar or AI?
If you have some muratic acid (pool acid) dip it in and it will strip the coating off. or you can heat up with torch (avoid fumes) and then wire brush it off. Remember if it won't rust it is coated or plated.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
txschutte

Use a hammer and sledgehammer to back it up to smash the lip flat. This should allow your lid to sit securely. As far as the kettle bottom goes, you could drill a chitload of holes in it to allow airflow.

BTW- Your helper would be much more effective with a 'Stros hat.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
BobBrisket

Thanks Norco. I'll take the weedburner to them.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #11
BobBrisket

I tried to drive a self tapping screw through the enamel and it just laughed at me. Do you guys use a drill bit instead?

A Stro's cap? I don;t think so! That would slow down production!!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #12
txschutte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I tried to drive a self tapping screw through the enamel and it just laughed at me. Do you guys use a drill bit instead?

A Stro's cap? I don;t think so! That would slow down production!!
Use a center punch to chip off the enamel.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #13
BobBrisket

Will do. I'm off to the Outlaws. To grind and weld metal.

How was the hunt Shane?
Talk to ya'll tonight.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #14
Dr_KY

They are plentyful Bob so just shoot me a PM with your address if you ever need them. There is no charge for the service or parts to a brother. lol

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #15
BobBrisket

Cut the lid out and left lip only.

Cut out flange and left original grate hooks for top UDS shelf. I'll mount hooks for the lower shelf unde the flange.

Here's the lid on top of kettle flange that is sitting in the lid lip.

Put the band back on and it makes for a tight fit.

Fire basket almost done. Need to square it and add the bottom. Long arse day. Thanks again Brothers.