Kids Que

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Just wanting to see what those brethren with kids suggest for Kids Que. Last year my son competed and made Orange Cinimom Rolls which baked inside oranges(cored out the flesh and put the rolls inside the orange peel) he received 5 out of the 6 judges gave him 9 over all, one judge I guess didn't like desert and gave him a 5. He got 3rd place.

Just trying to get some ideas for our upcoming contest for the kids, both my 9 yr old and 7yr old daughter are competiting this year. Should we stick to a desert theme? just seems that a majority of kids are entering shrimp, just thought the desert angle was a good one. Any help would be appreciated.

My daughter is competeing for the first time this year in durango. She's 7 and nervous. Been working on her seasoning and she's happy with it.

Most of the Kid's Ques in the KC area are pre-determined. Platte City was sausage, Oklahoma Joes and GAB (10 & younger) was pork chops, GAB (11 and up) cooked steaks. Our next Kid's Que will be at Marshalltown IA and it is cooks choice.....Kaylin has chosen to cook steak there.

Tell your kids good luck! I hope they enjoy cooking as much as my 6yr does!

Just trying to get some ideas for our upcoming contest for the kids, both my 9 yr old and 7yr old daughter are competiting this year. Should we stick to a desert theme? just seems that a majority of kids are entering shrimp, just thought the desert angle was a good one. Any help would be appreciated.

If you (or your kids) have the choice of what to cook, I would let them decide.
Kaylin likes to cook steak because that is what she won with in her very first contest last year.

However, we have not had a choice of categories, it has had to be some sort of meat in the contests that she has cooked in so far.

Kaylin should register with her own name and then you guys can just fill up a whole thread by yourselves!!!!! hahahahahaha
Hope to see you all in Marshalltown.
ModelMaker

Kaylin should register with her own name and then you guys can just fill up a whole thread by yourselves!!!!! hahahahahaha
Hope to see you all in Marshalltown.
ModelMaker

Sorry about that!:oops: I am coming off of a girls only weekend and had a couple of hours sleep each night. Posted a little more than I meant to......Darn Rum Runners.

Until the GAB, Kaylin was doing better than Andy (considering both teams), with a 1st, 6th, and 3rd! It was starting to go to her head:roll: ...she liked to tell people that she had won more $$$ than "Daddy."
We are very proud of her.....as you can tell!

But I enjoy watching all the kids cook. I think there are more kids cooking this year, which I think is awesome! And there are more that are competing in the Open contests like Sammie. Andy said that in Marysville, KS contest that Katie (13 or 14 yrs old?) from Munchin' Hogs cooked the chicken and she took 1st place!

Can't wait till Marshalltown! We should be there sometime Thursday evening. See you there!

For those with little ones that have competed in a Kids Cook - what is the extent of their involvement? Are they responsible for lighting the fire, preparing the meat, monitoring, preparing the box and turning in? Never seen a kids comp first hand - have an 8 yr old and am curious.

For those with little ones that have competed in a Kids Cook - what is the extent of their involvement? Are they responsible for lighting the fire, preparing the meat, monitoring, preparing the box and turning in? Never seen a kids comp first hand - have an 8 yr old and am curious.

Kaylin (6) does everything herself except light the fire, open and close the lid, and use knife by herself. She choses her spices/sauces, prepares the meat and boxes and places it in the box how she wants.

This sounds like an awesome way to get quality family time. :smile: I can't wait until my little 21mos old boy can start helping and cooking on his own. :biggrin:

Back