Big Apple BBQ Block Party

Look's like fun.. A little different there than here at Memphis in May probably..

I can be a real good time, but the lines are extremely and painfully long. Be prepared to wait and for a lot of the top food to run out before you get the cook. You need to be really flexible to enjoy this.

My advice - try and hang out with the top cooks, who aren't cooking but schmoozing most of the time, listen to the music and go out to either RUB or Daisy May's to eat.

This sounds like a better event...

"The Abilene Chamber of Commerce's Military Service Committee will sponsor the 41st Annual World's Largest Barbecue on Saturday at the Civic Center to honor the military personnel of Abilene and their families."

[SIZE=+1]World's largest BBQ[/SIZE]

Anyone else still planning to go ?

Still not sure here as I think I'd rather BBQ at home, but if I go, it will most probably be on Sunday the 11th. I did not go last year so I kind of just want to see what it's like.

Once I see the huge crowds that Brooklyn Q warns of I'd probably regret my decision to go... I think I'm talking myself out of it by just picturing tens of thousands cramped in a small area...

On second thought, maybe I better stay home...

Last edited:
To bad my sister's graduation is on the 11th, I would definitely be there.

Vinny writes >>>I think I'm talking myself into it just picturing tens of thousands cramped in a small area...<<<

Only in NY folks, only in NY.. great, aint it :mrgreen:

My sister went, and I put her comments on my blog (not just pimping my blog). It's interesting hearing her verdict, as a 'que lover but not a cooker. I got a couple of pics, though some were blurry, from her:

img_1116.jpg

img_1113.jpg

img_1110.jpg

too bad I didnt know your sister was in line.. she could have come inside the 17th St pit , and be treated like a VIP.. I was one of the two rib cutters both days day , with Mike Mills and his crew .. she must have taken that picture early on Sunday, as there was noone either at the VIP table, or in the pit area ....

I didn't know she was going until the last minute... But there's always next year! I wouldn't mind being there, either.

She enjoyed it... just thought the lines were ridiculous again.

Back