MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #31
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Down girl!
TroyA65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #32
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Did someone say Cowboys are on sale?
Not those types of cowboys!

Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #33
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

lol darn!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #34
IamMadMan

I have always hated cowboy lump because of all of the wood scraps which looked like large pieces of plywood.

I bought 2 bags to investigate after reading how the contents of the bag has changed. I loaded the smoker and found that I had all very large pieces of true lump charcoal. No signs of scrap wood of any type.

I also measured the small particles of charcoal and found a had about a cup.

Wow what a comeback for cowboy....

I'm going to buy more today..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #35
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

Knowing this sale was coming up i bought two small bags at home depot in Madison Wisconsin to try out. I loaded up the uds and did an overnight pork butt cook. I noticed a huge variation in sizes which made it difficult to get a good packed basket. Towards the end of the cook i was having trouble maintaining temps and found that it had burned very unevenly. I also discovered two rocks in the basket. At this price i will still get some for the kettle and short cooks but i will not buy it at the regular price again. The possibility does exist that i will get some and it will be better than my trial of it but my initial impression was not good.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #36
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

well after the comments I had to go get some

the guy at my one Tru Value tried charging me regular price, I told him about the sale flyer, he said his store doesnt send them out, I told him I saw it on their website after selecting his store and then "view flyer for that store"

He gave it to me for the sale price, I just looked in the bag and it looks like mill scraps, nothing special. not that there is anything wrong with mill scraps, thats what RO is for the most part

maybe this is an old bag, I dont know. Would not surprise me

I might try another tru value that has a big bbq dept by me. I am sure at least their stock will be fresh as they are a bigger, busier place
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #37
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I bought a few bags today. Haven't unloaded them yet. I didn't notice at checkout, but I was charged sales tax.

I called the store and told the mgr. it was the first time that's happened. He said he wasn't aware of it being sold as a tax-free item. I said HD and Lowe's sells it that way. He said he'd check it out and to hang onto my sales slip. I said ok, but I'm thinking more about all the people that have been getting charged sales tax that shouldn't have been, and for how long?

So, why didn't I notice the tax at checkout? Well, of course, the Weber display was near the cash registers. But, my wandering eyes never it past the young lovely working the register.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #38
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpeck View Post
I did the same thing "love BBQ" did; load the true value listing & sale price on my phone and show it to the lead cashier.
Same here except I went straight to a Mgr. first. Showed him the ad on the phone and said No Problem. In fact I don't even think he gave a Rats A$$. Got 4 bags.
UDS, Yellow 22", 2008 Weber Ranch, SS Blue Performer, 18" Blue Platinum, Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #39
aawa
Babbling Farker

I picked up 3 bags to give it a go and see if the quality is up from the past. $9 for 20lb bag of lump is a pretty good deal.

The barcode/sku on the ad is different that what the local Lowes had. They gave me the price match but didn't give me the 10% discount, which didn't bother me at all.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
dajogejr
On the road to being a farker

Just ordered 4 bags online to be delivered. If you order more than $30 worth, use the code SPRING5 for an extra 5 bucks off.

32 and change for 4 bags shipped to a local TruValue. If I don't like it...I have 4 new bags of Royal Oak to go back to....
dajogejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #41
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

I have only ever burned Royal Oak in my Kamado Joe, because I can get it year round, and it is pretty affordable. 17.6 pounds for 11.00 (.625/lb). I usually buy about 5-6 bags at a time. I nearly always find 1-2 rocks, or 1-2 pcs of insulation in the bags. My theory on smaller unusable pcs in the bag is due to retail handling. I figure the majority of it is stocked by younger minimum wage high school students. I dont expect them to be gentle, and the bags dont say "fragile" anywhere.

I am not sure there is a perfect charcoal out there, and everyone has an opinion. I do like the way Royal Oak performs, but to be fair, I havent compared it to anything else when it comes to cooking.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #42
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haveuseen1? View Post
I have only ever burned Royal Oak in my Kamado Joe, because I can get it year round, and it is pretty affordable. 17.6 pounds for 11.00 (.625/lb). I usually buy about 5-6 bags at a time. I nearly always find 1-2 rocks, or 1-2 pcs of insulation in the bags. My theory on smaller unusable pcs in the bag is due to retail handling. I figure the majority of it is stocked by younger minimum wage high school students. I dont expect them to be gentle, and the bags dont say "fragile" anywhere.

I am not sure there is a perfect charcoal out there, and everyone has an opinion. I do like the way Royal Oak performs, but to be fair, I havent compared it to anything else when it comes to cooking.
If Royal Oak is the only lump you have used for cooking you should give Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Blend a try. I have never gotten any rocks or insulation in the bags, the pieces are bigger than Royal Oak, and there are no scrap wood pieces turned to lump. It also burns almost twice as long which gives you longer cook times. The downside is that it is expensive on the front end ($20 for 20lbs) but you compare the number of cooks you do with Wicked Good to the number of cooks you get with Royal Oak and the money evens out.

I am trying Cowboy for the first time, as I have heard it has changed for the better. It it gets up to par with Royal Oak or better for $9 for 20lbs it will be worth it for me.

After I run out of my 4 bags of Weekend Warrior I will have to try out other lumps such as Kamado Joe and Lazari.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #43
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
I picked up 3 bags to give it a go and see if the quality is up from the past. $9 for 20lb bag of lump is a pretty good deal.

The barcode/sku on the ad is different that what the local Lowes had. They gave me the price match but didn't give me the 10% discount, which didn't bother me at all.
Allegedly, according to an e-mail I received when I complained last year, the charcoal produced in the US is lump from trees / branches. The charcoal produced in Mexico is made from construction scraps. How true this is I don't know. I don't even know if the bag lists where they are made. Maybe that's the difference in the barcode/sku???
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #44
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Allegedly, according to an e-mail I received when I complained last year, the charcoal produced in the US is lump from trees / branches. The charcoal produced in Mexico is made from construction scraps. How true this is I don't know. I don't even know if the bag lists where they are made. Maybe that's the difference in the barcode/sku???
I'll have to pull a bag open tomorrow, as I'm too tired and lazy to do it tonight and see what it has and if there is a place where it is made.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #45
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

I got my in town Ace Hardware to match the True Value price. I had to show them a link to an actual TV store as they wouldn't accept the True Value site ad since it said online and at participating stores, so I had to show them a participating store and it was a done deal. I only bought 2 bags until I see what it's like. I have never used Cowboy. The bags feel like there are some decent pieces in there, not like the Wicked Good at Ocean State Job Lot that feels like small crushed pieces.
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote