MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #136
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

This thread is full of peoples input and opinions which is what drives a good Forum. It gets a tad bit sticky when folks start to belittle and or berate a product because they see no value in it. Much the same way the Rib O Later thread went. So, while we're on that subject. The ROL is the Ferris wheel to the UDS so we need a Merry Go Round for the PBC Any new tool that can be used to make great BBQ has value in my book. It's all about cooking, eating and drinking beer.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #137
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post

Here is where you went wrong with Patio. I see this in here from time to time. Been accused of it myself.

Pitmaster T's EDICT on Endorsements

Patio Daddio is anything but dishonest. So I can say this. He has made it known he really does not like what I stand for and will say it. But he is a pretty honest guy. And he has done his share of cooking on the UDS so I would probably think his opinion about this PBS thing (which boggles my mind how someone would have the balls to actually try and patent a hook for smoking chicken in a barrel using rebar but hey, maybe I should patent using racks for cooking meat on). As usual, I digress. So take it from me, who really does not care for Patio so much because he is too nice, but also because he messed up my salad bar a few times. Patio is as honest as the wait on a frozen turkey to defrost.

Patio's Contribution to the UDS Phenomina before Noah/B]

A moment of discussion about "preceived endorsement." This forum was built on people in the competition world endorseing processes, ingredients, glazes, additives, blowers, thermometers, foils, butcher papers (with or without wax coatings) rubs, dusts, charcoal (Patio did a wonderful experiement comparing charcoal a few years ago), mops, pits, drums, designs, graphics, banners, meat providers, air induction devices, remote thermometers, muffin tins, tv programs, social programs, moinks, frozen products, guns, targets, suggested human targets, brewing paraphanalia, welders.... get the point?

Patio has been a competitor for a long while. And he has advised people here a lot. Nearly all of it I begrudginly aggree with. I would imagine if I were going to buy a product I would loop in what a guy that has had extensive experience in cooking **** on a UDS AND whatever else he chooses. Here is why I hate competitors. Because they have the audacity to show up at a pagent, with an existing stable of expertise, then throw it out the window as Patio did and adopt something else. That takes balls. In addition he beat Trigg. Now I like Trigg and frankly have seen him ON PITMASTERS go to a pagent and get 46th or so. Several times. But Patio beat him using the PBS. So that essentially means it surely does not do any damage to the BBQ. But here is where you went off track... and I see that you aologized and thats cool. If you are looking for an honest review then just either tuck what Patio says in your head (or not) and go on to find other info to make your purchasing decision. But questioning Patio and suggesting he has vested interest in the company... well hold it a minute. So the fark what if he did. We all have a "vested" interest in what we do. But just about every one of us that is worth a **** gets tied to someone who also is worth a **** and meld our **** to theirs and there **** get's melded into ours. Its like the way George Clinton did things. He was a dawg, right? He pees on something, then some other dawg pees on it and then another pees on it again. Its what we all do to make thangs funky. Pee on ****.

Patio showing he has balls enough to buy **** and tell people about it - Obviously unaware you cannot load the drum this way as all hook openings should be pointed North.

Suggesting Patio is dishonest just because of his affliation with Noah and the PBS is BS.

This forum is all about our endorsements. None of us can keep our mouths shut. I like how Chris Matthews once put it about himself when someone questioned why his opinion mattered. He said "I am not sure you are aware of this Eric but I get paid because people tune in to see what I think." Well people like you are here in our forum to see what us BBQ freaks think. Even if they are white bread, "aww shucks," Pat Boone white shoe wearing, sqeaky clean, Dudley will Do no wrong tonight if Nell will just let him kick it, "he's a nice guy" freaks like Patio Daddio.

[B]I have been an ass for more than 48 years. Why would I not endorse one?

ADMIN EDIT:

This post has been scrubbed of vulgarities and BS. This is Qtalk. Review and Abide by our rules. (followup posts regarding the BS has been removed as they no longer pertain).
Opinions, positive or negative, are allowed. As long as it is all within the forum rules, it's fine. Just a reminder that Phil has already scrubbed posts and the thread itself. If it turns into vulgarities and BS again like Phil stated above, then it's a different story. You guys decide if you want to keep it civil and within the rules or push the envelope a little more. That's your choice. Just letting you know that Admin has already been in this thread in case any of you did not read the thread from its entirety. This is the 3rd time Admin/Mods have had to step in.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 01-03-2013 at 03:53 PM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #138
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

thank you bobbrisket. well said.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #139
davet54
Full Fledged Farker

Just ordered a PBC, used the coupon code, still good so far. I had seen Johns blog on this and wanted one then but felt it was too much money then. I met Noah at the Royal this year and watched this little cooker in action. Was Judging both days so went by Sat AM right after he got there, and then Sun Am prior to judging on that day. Everything looked good, don't know how it tasted though, didn't get a sample. Very nice people, he even gave me two of his rubs for free. So am pretty excited about getting this, thought I would be out of luck for the coupon but it is still there.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #140
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammmed View Post
Thanks for actually trying this, I'm going to do this to my wsm with an expansion ring, where did you find the stainless steel rods?
I work for a metal recycling company and we got some in as scrap. With some searching you should be able to find some stainless rod. While not cheap, I like it better than rebar or other steel rods.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #141
BobBrisket

IMO, talking as Bob the Member, not Bob the Mod. I've built a few UDSsss', myself. If you didn't already have the tools etc to make one and couldn't get the drum parts, etc. for cheap, this would be the way to go. Even at regular price, looking at all the work that went into that cooker, it's worth it. As for the hooks, cool addition, but I'm not in the school of thinking that simply hanging the meat will make it juicier, more flavorful etc. I can already get that using a grate if I just cook it right from the get go. I'd think of the hooks as a second grate, so to speak. Even at that, I'd use the hooks for the hell of it, with the lower grate in place. If a Weber lid fit on it pretty snug with no mods, for some extra head room, even better. The good thing about mass producing something like this is that you eliminate a lot of the wrinkles and flaws you would encounter by making your own.
While I'd buy one, I like the challenge of making my own. For those of you in that camp, imitation is the highest form of flattery, but even with this "way of thinking" there can be issues. I still think it's the COOK, not the COOKER! Just me, though!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #142
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Opinions, positive or negative, are allowed. As long as it is all within the forum rules, it's fine. Just a reminder that Phil has already scrubbed posts and the thread itself. If it turns into vulgarities and BS again like Phil stated above, then it's a different story. You guys decide if you want to keep it civil and within the rules or push the envelope a little more. That's your choice. Just letting you know that Admin has already been in this thread in case any of you did not read the thread from its entirety. This is the 3rd time Admin/Mods have had to step in.
Thanks and I sent a PM to Phil about that last line so no one gets the wrong idea. I get emails ya know. Originally the last line read like it does now... BUT there was a lovely picture of Jessica Alba's back side, thereby it had me endorsing her ass. Now that that picture was removed, it may seem to some I am calling John an ass.... which is the opposite I of how I feel, which is, that he is one of those "do gooders." Which of course to some, is not an insult at all.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #143
BobBrisket

Quote:

Here is where you went wrong with Patio. I see this in here from time to time. Been accused of it myself.

Pitmaster T's EDICT on Endorsements

Patio Daddio is anything but dishonest. So I can say this. He has made it known he really does not like what I stand for and will say it. But he is a pretty honest guy. And he has done his share of cooking on the UDS so I would probably think his opinion about this PBS thing (which boggles my mind how someone would have the balls to actually try and patent a hook for smoking chicken in a barrel using rebar but hey, maybe I should patent using racks for cooking meat on). As usual, I digress. So take it from me, who really does not care for Patio so much because he is too nice, but also because he messed up my salad bar a few times. Patio is as honest as the wait on a frozen turkey to defrost.

Patio's Contribution to the UDS Phenomina before Noah/B]

A moment of discussion about "preceived endorsement." This forum was built on people in the competition world endorseing processes, ingredients, glazes, additives, blowers, thermometers, foils, butcher papers (with or without wax coatings) rubs, dusts, charcoal (Patio did a wonderful experiement comparing charcoal a few years ago), mops, pits, drums, designs, graphics, banners, meat providers, air induction devices, remote thermometers, muffin tins, tv programs, social programs, moinks, frozen products, guns, targets, suggested human targets, brewing paraphanalia, welders.... get the point?

Patio has been a competitor for a long while. And he has advised people here a lot. Nearly all of it I begrudginly aggree with. I would imagine if I were going to buy a product I would loop in what a guy that has had extensive experience in cooking **** on a UDS AND whatever else he chooses. Here is why I hate competitors. Because they have the audacity to show up at a pagent, with an existing stable of expertise, then throw it out the window as Patio did and adopt something else. That takes balls. In addition he beat Trigg. Now I like Trigg and frankly have seen him ON PITMASTERS go to a pagent and get 46th or so. Several times. But Patio beat him using the PBS. So that essentially means it surely does not do any damage to the BBQ. But here is where you went off track... and I see that you aologized and thats cool. If you are looking for an honest review then just either tuck what Patio says in your head (or not) and go on to find other info to make your purchasing decision. But questioning Patio and suggesting he has vested interest in the company... well hold it a minute. So the fark what if he did. We all have a "vested" interest in what we do. But just about every one of us that is worth a **** gets tied to someone who also is worth a **** and meld our **** to theirs and there **** get's melded into ours. Its like the way George Clinton did things. He was a dawg, right? He pees on something, then some other dawg pees on it and then another pees on it again. Its what we all do to make thangs funky. Pee on ****.

Patio showing he has balls enough to buy **** and tell people about it - Obviously unaware you cannot load the drum this way as all hook openings should be pointed North.

Suggesting Patio is dishonest just because of his affliation with Noah and the PBS is BS.

This forum is all about our endorsements. None of us can keep our mouths shut. I like how Chris Matthews once put it about himself when someone questioned why his opinion mattered. He said "I am not sure you are aware of this Eric but I get paid because people tune in to see what I think." Well people like you are here in our forum to see what us BBQ freaks think. Even if they are white bread, "aww shucks," Pat Boone white shoe wearing, sqeaky clean, Dudley will Do no wrong tonight if Nell will just let him kick it, "he's a nice guy" freaks like Patio Daddio.

[B]I have been an ass for more than 48 years.

ADMIN EDIT:

This post has been scrubbed of vulgarities and BS. This is Qtalk. Review and Abide by our rules. (followup posts regarding the BS has been removed as they no longer pertain).

True dat! The missing pic takes away some context from the last line. Fixed!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #144
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I totally understand your point about the convenience. Heck I have all the tools I want, welder too, but I think in my case I would have rather bought the PDC instead of the UDS way. I mean just the stuff we do to get over the toxic stuff and exterior paint is a big hassle and thats before we build it.

One of the biggest mistakes I made was when I designed the Meat Mama 3000 I went to a shop and looked at a 500 gallon tank made of 12 gauge steel. It was 600. I decided that 320 to have Ulastic steel roll me a chamber and cut the sides was a good idea. I spent AGES welding the seam, and ends and it really would have been better and as it turned out cheaper to just buy the tank, then spend more money on a thicker steel firebox and spend my time welding those two together.

So, again, do you want to spend time cooking or designing and tweaking. And how much money is wasted testing it. Which yes, can be half the fun. But you should be testing your rubs and glazes not the equipment. The high heat powder coat and never used drum themselves are worth the money to aviod the hassle.

Quote:
IMO, talking as Bob the Member, not Bob the Mod. I've built a few UDSsss', myself. If you didn't already have the tools etc to make one and couldn't get the drum parts, etc. for cheap, this would be the way to go. Even at regular price, looking at all the work that went into that cooker, it's worth it. As for the hooks, cool addition, but I'm not in the school of thinking that simply hanging the meat will make it juicier, more flavorful etc. I can already get that using a grate if I just cook it right from the get go. I'd think of the hooks as a second grate, so to speak. Even at that, I'd use the hooks for the hell of it, with the lower grate in place. If a Weber lid fit on it pretty snug with no mods, for some extra head room, even better. The good thing about mass producing something like this is that you eliminate a lot of the wrinkles and flaws you would encounter by making your own.
While I'd buy one, I like the challenge of making my own. For those of you in that camp, imitation is the highest form of flattery, but even with this "way of thinking" there can be issues. I still think it's the COOK, not the COOKER! Just me, though!

Edict.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #145
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
True dat! The missing pic takes away some context from the last line. Fixed!
Perfect. I could not belive y'al, did not jump at that oportunity to see what would be left behind. LOL

Edict.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #146
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

We're starting to get a bit off topic, imagine that, BUT....

One thing I love about this forum is that we have ALL walks of life here, and we all come together for one love: BBQ.

Now anything folks are passionate about by definition means there will be a lot of very strong opinions. There are also ALL kinds of personalities to share those opinions who communicate in very different ways.

Keep this in mind as you read through the forums and you will likely not run afoul in my (one of soooo many) humble opinion....
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #147
BobBrisket

Quote:
I totally understand your point about the convenience. Heck I have all the tools I want, welder too, but I think in my case I would have rather bought the PDC instead of the UDS way. I mean just the stuff we do to get over the toxic stuff and exterior paint is a big hassle and thats before we build it.

One of the biggest mistakes I made was when I designed the Meat Mama 3000 I went to a shop and looked at a 500 gallon tank made of 12 gauge steel. It was 600. I decided that 320 to have Ulastic steel roll me a chamber and cut the sides was a good idea. I spent AGES welding the seam, and ends and it really would have been better and as it turned out cheaper to just buy the tank, then spend more money on a thicker steel firebox and spend my time welding those two together.

So, again, do you want to spend time cooking or designing and tweaking. And how much money is wasted testing it. Which yes, can be half the fun. But you should be testing your rubs and glazes not the equipment. The high heat powder coat and never used drum themselves are worth the money to aviod the hassle.
That reason alone is more than enough to buy one that's ready made. I'd go this route VS having to remove a dreaded red liner!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #148
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

whats the real capacity on this? Same as a 18 inch WSM? (4 butts, or 2 briskets, and a little short to lay the ribs out?)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #149
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
whats the real capacity on this? Same as a 18 inch WSM? (4 butts, or 2 briskets, and a little short to lay the ribs out?)
Have you watched the videos at pitbarrelcooker.com? There's no comparison to the 18.5 WSM. Because things are vertical the capacity is UNBELIEVABLE for this size cooker!! An EASY 8 slabs of ribs...an easy 4 butts...etc.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #150
MilitantSquatter

Hanging meat works for this guy...

I get it... I really do... I just don't think I'll ever get to the point where I feel that I need to have a UDS, PBC (say what you will but this is a UDS w/ meat hooks)....
Attached Images
File Type: gif baron_hang.gif (55.3 KB, 223 views)
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote