MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
jdub
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Need a Weber Performer mechanic

Gas is moving but no spark. Do you just replace the igniter or is there something i am missing?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Smoked
Full Fledged Farker

Are you positive you are not getting spark? They include a pipe cleaner tool to clean the gas tube. Sometimes it can get some gunk or spider webs in there and clog it to where it won't light.

Before I tried to replace the igniter, I would take the wires off, clean the connectors, clean the tube and reattach the wires (correctly) and try again.

If it is in fact the igniter, give Weber CS a call and see if it's covered under warranty.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

I have never hooked a bottle up to mine so I'm not really sure. I wish Weber would offer a Performer without the fancy gas ignition and lower the price. I still use my chimney. Too cheap to keep buying the refills I guess.
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
chomper's bbq
Full Fledged Farker

look at the wires of the sparker and see if they are both connected. check the sparker end to see if sauce is baked on it. you only neet to replace the two wire feeds and the sparker if the first two ideas are not correct.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
chasmosis
Knows what a fatty is.

On mine if the gas bottle is low the igniter won't start it, although it works fine if you light it with a match. With a new bottle, the igniter fires it right up. I'm guessing that I probably need to clean the gas tube.
chasmosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If the igniter has a battery in the push button remove it, the top should just unscrew, then replace it with a new one, I would try that before going on with other things. That is what I do with any of my gassers that have an igniter but I do not own the Performer.
Dave

Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Rylos1
Full Fledged Farker

I had the same problem when I bought my performer. I called Weber CS, they sent a new assembly for free, was here in 3 days.
Big Steel Keg
22.5" WSM
Rylos1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

I had the same problem with my performer that I bought off craigslist. The guy I bought it from said he'd been lighting it with a lighter forever because the button didn't work anymore. I got home, took it all apart and cleaned it real well, especially inside the gas tube and the contacts for the wires. Put it all back together and it worked again. Been working fine ever since.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Actually the lighter is piezoelectric. Piezo ignition is a type of ignition that is used in portable camping stoves, gas grills and some lighters. It consists of a small, spring-loaded hammer which, when a button is pressed, hits a crystal of PZT or quartz crystal. Quartz is piezoelectric, which means that it creates a voltage when deformed. This sudden forceful deformation produces a high voltage and subsequent electrical discharge, which ignites the gas.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-30-2011, 06:04 AM   #10
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked View Post
They include a pipe cleaner tool to clean the gas tube.
Does anyone have a picture of this tool? Mine didn't come with one.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #11
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Don View Post
I have never hooked a bottle up to mine so I'm not really sure. I wish Weber would offer a Performer without the fancy gas ignition and lower the price. I still use my chimney. Too cheap to keep buying the refills I guess.
Would a Platinum work better for you?

Old 09-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #12
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
They do, or at least they used to offer it w/o the gas igniter when they made it with the stainless steel cart.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
Crux
Got Wood.

Quote:
I use mine to light the chimney! Gas lasts quite a while this way as it only takes a minute to get a chimney started.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

I like my Performer just fine and I guess I just like using newspaper mainly because I get enough junk sales papers in the mail for free. Also while my chimney is burning getting ready for the grill, gives me time to do other prep work or relax and drink a cold one. If I'm in a hurry, I'll break out the Weed Burner. I haven't tried the cooking oil on paper towel yet but I'm sure I will just to say I did.
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
If the igniter has a battery in the push button remove it, the top should just unscrew, then replace it with a new one, I would try that before going on with other things. That is what I do with any of my gassers that have an igniter but I do not own the Performer.
Dave
Look there. Fixed one on a griddle this summer. That is what it was, bad battery. I thought piezo also, but both my dad's gas grill and griddle had a battery. One was a "AAA" , one was a "AA".
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote