What does everyone use for a temp controller on your smokers?

That is the big benefit. If you are gone, you can still monitor and adjust the temperature of the pit. I have been away from home, checked the temperature of the meat, decided it was getting done too fast, so I dropped the temperature setting for the pit by 25 degrees. All via my iPhone. It is like being there without having to be there. With some software, you can even program it to automatically lower the pit temperature when the meat hits a predefined setting.

OK... that's nice. Who's going to handle a grease fire? Ask you neighbor? Who is going to burp the egg?
How are you going to probe for tenderness by wi-fi?
Who's going to pull off the meat when done?

Sorry - no excuse or justification for lack of responsibility (not being there).

I use a stoker and love it. But I first used nothing but vents. Mine was a Christmas gift, and I'll say this it sure beats getting all dressed up to tweak a vent in the middle of the night at -50f lol

Bandit, never had a grease fire in my UDS. I don't leave it often but have left it running on an IQ-110. Wish I had the remote monitoring capability. Did anyone mention they wouldn't be back in time to probe for tender or remove the meat from the heat? I think you assumed all that. Adjusting temps to change the timing when the meat will finish (approximate time) is reasonable no matter if you are present are away. Also, I've left the smoker going while my wife/daughter was at home. They could handle emergencies but they have no idea how to adjust temps to speed or slow cooking so it's legitimate that someone monitors and changes these settings remotely.

Even if no one is home, in the unlikely event there is a grease fire (never seen one in a UDS or Kommado cooker), as long as it is away from housing etc. in a safe area, the worse case is you ruin the meat, right?

I have a BGE and use a DigiQ DX2 for overnight cooks. I got along just fine without it but for some reason couldn't sleep very well. I would wake up in a panic several times only to find that the needle hadn't moved 5 degrees either way. Bottom line, if you're like me and need to sleep easy buy one, if you trust it enough to sleep like a baby then spend your money elsewhere. I guess I'm paranoid about wind and temp changes since I live in the midwest where the elements are very unstable. Best of luck on whatever you decide to buy.

Spent some time researching what pit to get and just as much time on what temperature monitor to get. I wanted something that let me log data as well as gave me flexibility of real time viewing from smartphones or tablets.

As I have an insulated firebox I did not need something that had a fan or blowers. However research showed and was confirmed by the manufactures, that both the Guru Wifi DigiQ and the Stoker would operate without those fans/blowers.

I choose the Stoker - I have 2 pit probes and 4 meat probes. Overkill some might say but to me I'm perfectly fine with it. I can be in my kitchen or in the garage or relaxing in my chair watching Pitmasters and feel confident that I am not missing something. Or if you are in a big cook or at a comp and get caught up in something to be able to get an alert on your phone that you've got a temp problem ... nothing better.

if you use a weber charcoal smoker like me you really dont need a temperature controller unless you live in a cold climate-then i recommend the maverick thermometer,its important to protect your smoker from wind-it will drop the temperature something terrible

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

I use a Guru for long cooks on my BGE. Best to put it on after the fire is established but at least 50° before target temp. Be sure to close the slide 2/3 - 3/4 the way or the Egg will pull enough air to keep the temp. rising even though the fan is not running. When using a controller, it should provide all the air. I generally don't use mine if I plan to be around the deck area but will use it if I have to run errands (or nap) while smoking.

Almost forgot... Close the "daisy wheel" until the vents are open only a sliver... The Guru will force the smoke out and keeping them nearly closed minimizes "drafting".

Last edited:
I use the BBQGuru Party Q. It's battery operated and works great for overnight cooks on my kamado. I wanted battery operated so I can use it on my weber kettle when i go camping. Very easy to use and works great.

I have a Visions Kamado and so far it maintains very accurate temps with the vent adjustments. It will hold steady at 225 degrees all day. I am using oak slabs cut with my sawzall from about a 6" diameter branch. Just recently bought a Oregon Scientific remote thermometer and love it. Bass Pro Shops $ 39.99 That's as techie as I can get.

I thought the whole reason people were buying the Foreign Imported Big Green Toilet is because you didn't have to work at controlling the temps ?

I have the Golden Lion from for long over night smokes. I like the Wick so I can leave if I need to. I have had Burt's on the smoker for 20 hours and I cant just sit at the house all day. I like having it so I can check my meet temp any time.

Never had a grease fire in my smoker and anyone who says they sit by their pit for 16 hours while butts are cooking is FOS.

I have a guru DigiQ and I love it for overnight cooks. I use it on my 22.5 WSM when I smoke butts or whole hams. Temp holds at 235 all night. I just purchased a LBGE last month and it seems to hold temps very well but if I do an overnight cook in it I will use the DigiQ on it as well.

I use the BBQ Guru Digi Que DX with our LBGE. Absolutely love it for overnight cooks, works great!!!

I love my stoker, but gotta run home real quick I think I left an unattended flame going in my water heater! :)

I thought the whole reason people were buying the Foreign Imported Big Green Toilet is because you didn't have to work at controlling the temps ?

It's ok. You can let it go now. They can't hurt you anymore.

I bought an IQUE110 after I got my 18.5 WSM and had some problems keeping things on an even keel. Now I have a 22.5 WSM and I only use the controller for extended overnight cooks. Works like a charm most of the time. Don't bother with anything on my big offset. It takes too much minding and refueling to leave it alone for more than an hour, anyway. The WSM pretty much stays where it lands, usually around 275 which is pretty much what I want, anyway. With the IQUE I can set it at 225 up to 300.

I have a digiQ2 on my wsm and you can't beat it for all night brisket if you like to get a little sleep or an all day butt while your at work ramp feature lets it mellow out so you don't overcook while your at work

Back