• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Al's Saucy Dungeness Crab and Tiger Prawn Cakes (prOn heavy)

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do something with all the Dungeness crab I had left over from the holidays. It went on sale for $2.99 per pound :shock: and so we bought ten crabs, cleaned and shelled them, then vacu-sucked the meat and froze it for later. I also had some 13-15 count Tiger prawns waiting for a good reason to eat.

I haven't had GOOD crab cakes for a while, so I figured I'd give them a shot at home. I searched the internet(s) :heh: until I finally found a recipe I thought sounded like something the family would like. It turned out to be a bonus that it included prawns too. :becky:

With that being said, I present to you Al's Sun-Dried Tomato Remoulade (Saucy) Dungeness Crab and Tiger Prawn Cakes.

The players for the binding sauce.
edit_preview.php

The players for the Sun-Dried Tomato Remoulade.
edit_preview.php

The two supporting cast members for the sauce.
edit_preview.php

1.5 lbs
edit_preview.php

.75 lbs
edit_preview.php

Binding sauce ingredients before going for a ride in the food processor.
edit_preview.php

One minute later.
edit_preview.php

I divided the mixture above in half, then added 1/4 cup of cocktail sauce, 1/4 cup of sun-dried tomatos, hot sauce, Old Bay and a good dose of crab boil. Processed the mixture for about a minute and here's the sauce, :doh: I mean remoulade.
edit_preview.php

I put the finished sauce/remoulade in the fridge and got to work on the crab/shrimp cakes. I didn't get a shot of it, but I pretty much chopped up the shrimp into a puree, and combined it with the shelled crab. I took that combo and folded it into the left over binding sauce and added 3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs. From there I formed it into eight patties.
edit_preview.php

The red, yellow and green flecks you see in the patties are very small chunks of sweet pepper I diced and added for a little more flavor, crunch and color.
edit_preview.php

Once the patties set up for a while in the fridge, I dredged them in flour and eggs and coated them with panko bread crumbs.
edit_preview.php

Browned them for a couple minutes per side in EVOO.
edit_preview.php

Crispy brown on the outside.
edit_preview.php

Fired up the Traeger.
edit_preview.php

Once I got it stoked up to about 400, on they went. After about ten minutes they were pretty much done. The Thermopen read about 180 and they were sizzling nicely. :becky:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Plated and ready to go with a light green salad and basic vinaigrette.
edit_preview.php

As you can see, I didn't soak the crab/shrimp cake in the remoulade (sauce :heh:), but did end up using quite a bit of it after I took this shot.
edit_preview.php

This was easily one of the BEST crab cakes I have ever had, and my wife and daughter felt the same. In fact my daughter was a little bent that I only cooked four of the eight cakes I prepared. :tsk: There was a whole lot more crab/shrimp than bread crumb and the flavors really stood out. The sauce had a very subtle sweetness from the sun-dried tomato, plus it had a nice kick from the cocktail and hot sauce. The good news is we have four more to eat tomorrow. :clap2:

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
You're playing my song, Al! That looks so good, I'm going slightly out of my mind over here! Delicious!! :thumb:

So there are 3 of y'all and 4 cakes....what time you cooking those tomorrow? :hungry:

Absolutely beautiful - I love crab cakes and those are over the farkin top! :clap2:

What kind of smoke did you hit those with?

I like the idea of mixing in the shrimp. Bet it gave them a really nice texture.

I wasn't sure how it would work out with the shrimp puree, but they did give them a unique/good texture.

What kind of smoke did you hit those with?

By the time it gets up to 400, there isn't a whole ton of smoke rolling off but the pellets I used were maple. Just a hint of smoke flavor, but they sure were juicy inside and crispy outside.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back