Of All The Smokers I’ve Lusted After

How do those of you who have a smokehouse deal with spiders and other assorted fauna from camping out. I have the time, skills, tools and inclination to build one but keep talking myself out of it for two reasons: winter only use and bugs. The winter only question has pretty much been answered, now please help me out with the other question that is bugging** me.

** I couldn't help myself.

Bugs don't seem to like the aroma of my smokehouse. It's definitely absorbed a ton of smoke over the years. Every once in awhile, I'll get a wasp in through the chimney.
My smokehouse is 13 or so years old. Before building it, I used the barrel and trench method.

I use mine year round. When smoking during hot summer months, I place ice trays beneath certain items to keep the smoke cool...
I never temp the meats, etc. I only monitor the temp of the smokehouse.

You really need one Bruce! :grin:

1ok2LE9.jpg

Thanks Jeanie an Joe,

I may have to go for it. Next problem, get to the procrastinated honey do's, if I just show up one day with a load of cinderblock and a stack of cedar 1X12s there could be trouble.

My Great Grandparents had a smokehouse.It is still standing.I guess I should refurbish it.It is in need of much repair.I cannot decide if I should repair it or leave it as is.It is no longer used,which I hope to change soon.I own the property now.If left in current state it will not last many more years but if I rebuild it,it will not be the same-Undecided.

Just what it sounds like, applying smoke without heat. Smoking but not cooking. Think cheese, you want it smokey but not melted. Or in the case of jerky, you are smoking and dehydrating but not cooking.

Back