MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
tarhog
On the road to being a farker

Default Upcoming rib cookoff

I am considering entering my first comp in a couple weeks. I emailed the event coordinator and asked what kind of ribs (spares) and how many I had to cook. She responded that it is a case. How many racks exactly are in a case? I only have a Weber smokey mountain and Weber 23 grill. I don't want to commit to something overwhelming. Sorry if this has been asked before but thanks for any help.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

It depends on the provider. I believe a case for Smithfield or IBP is 12 racks.

SAVE THE DATE!!! 2019 Brethren Chicago Area Midwinter Lunch — Saturday, January 26th, 2019

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #3
West River BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quite the challenge. Just how many go to be judged and how many are for the general public? I'm just doing the math and it equals a lot of ribs.
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

A case!!??

It be cheaper just to go have a trophy made ;)
Brethren Vendor Forum: Giveaways, & Brethren Only Discounts!
  • Naturiffic Harvest Brine Available Here
  • Get Q-Salt Here
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

All depends on how the organizer is setting it up. Could be all public tasting, could be 6-8 bones for judging and the rest for the public. If they are asking for a case, they better be providing them.

Best to ask the organizer for the rules and specifics of their event.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
tarhog

Thanks Ron L, I contacted coordinator and she said I was to cook half the night before and the other half at the event. I can handle that but is that a common practice at stateside events? Sounds kinda sketchy to me. I understand and practice safe food handling but not sure all that enters these things do. Any suggestions for having at least decent ribs the following day at 1pm? And are trimming spares typically frowned upon? Anybody?

Old 11-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
tarhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
Quite the challenge. Just how many go to be judged and how many are for the general public? I'm just doing the math and it equals a lot of ribs.
There are four judges. Rules say two boxes with four each.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #8
tarhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanton View Post
All depends on how the organizer is setting it up. Could be all public tasting, could be 6-8 bones for judging and the rest for the public. If they are asking for a case, they better be providing them.

Best to ask the organizer for the rules and specifics of their event.
It's a $150 entry fee and they supply a voucher for the ribs. My place of work will sponsor me so that's a big help.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarhog View Post
Thanks Ron L, I contacted coordinator and she said I was to cook half the night before and the other half at the event. I can handle that but is that a common practice at stateside events? Sounds kinda sketchy to me. I understand and practice safe food handling but not sure all that enters these things do. Any suggestions for having at least decent ribs the following day at 1pm? And are trimming spares typically frowned upon? Anybody?
I haven't cooked a competition where they provided the ribs, but cooking half at home and half on site seems odd. I would worry about the quality of the ones cooked at home since they would have to be reheated.

SAVE THE DATE!!! 2019 Brethren Chicago Area Midwinter Lunch — Saturday, January 26th, 2019

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #10
didisea
Full Fledged Farker

You definitely want to trim the spares. You probably want to trim them down to 10-11 bones, or they wont fit on the Weber 22" very well. If you have a Weber 18", you are going to have to go down to 8-9 bones.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2018, 01:01 AM   #11
ClaytonSmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have seen a few "competitions" that are really organizers trying to get free food prep for their festivals. They ask for an unreasonable amount of food and there is very little benefit for the cookers. Sounds like this could be in that category. Not that they aren't supporting good causes, but don't really provide much of a contest experience for the people that choose to sacrifice and go compete in a competitions.

So by sounds sketchy, I think you might be right.
ClaytonSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #12
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I would check with your local health department about that rep’s request for you to “cook half at home”. Unless your kitchen has been inspected and certified by the health department, that is not going meet code requirements for service to the public. At least, that’s what would be required in NorCal. Call your health department as “better safe than sorry”. And after that call, I imagine they’ll want to get ahold of that rep themselves...