Primal Grill - Steven Raichlen

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone else watch his "bbq" show? I enjoy it at times, but then I see him soak his chips. :tape: But I'll watch anything bbq related on the set. I did enjoy seeing him smoke a whole clod. What are your thoughts on his bbq techniques?

I think Raichlen is a good source for a global, academic perspective on grilled and smoked foods. He's definitely not a Bubba or competition elitist, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you're looking for some good references on how to use your grill to cook other type cuisines of the world, his books are a good buy.

As for his branded products, some are ok, some are really rotten. His white BBQ gloves for example are stiff, slippery and stain easily. You can do better for a fraction of the price at a good hardware store. On the other hand, his exotic olive smokewood is quite good.

I sometimes watch his show at work in the morning. I don't know if I was watching an old episode or not but I particularly enjoyed the bit where he grilled chunks of salmon on large redwood skewers staked into the ground over a campfire.

yea, some shows are years old and things have changed. but it should not take anything from his shows. the sound effects drive me nuts though. his books are a must have !

Some of his shows are good, he knows a lot about grilling and smoking...then again, there is an episode were he uses a BDS, but lights it incorrectly. I read on another forum that the owner of BDS, Rocky, spoke to him after the show and corrected him for future cooks.

Based on his website, here is the schedule;

New York, WLIW Create Saturdays @ 1:30 pm
Los Angeles, KCET Desert Cities Monday - Friday @ 10:30 am
Chicago, WYCC Saturdays @ 5:30 pm
Chicago, WTTW Create Saturdays @ 6:30 pm
Philadelphia WYBE Fridays @ 1 pm
Boston, WGBX Create Sundays @ 1:30 pm
Denver, KBDI Wednesdays @ 2:30 pm
North Carolina Public Television Saturdays @ 2:30 pm
Salt Lake City, KUED Saturdays @ 1:30 pm
Providence, RI Saturdays @ 2:30 pm
Austin, KLRU Tuesdays @ 12 pm
Ft, Myers, WGCU Saturdays @ 11:30 am

http://www.bbqu.net/index.html

I've enjoyed watching him from time to time. Have a couple of his books, great for bases and a bunch history.

And you got to love grill cam on the BBQ U show he had.

Does anyone else watch his "bbq" show? I enjoy it at times, but then I see him soak his chips. :tape: But I'll watch anything bbq related on the set. I did enjoy seeing him smoke a whole clod. What are your thoughts on his bbq techniques?

According to Myron Mixon: "you want your wood somewhat wet. If you buy packaged wood/wood chips, you'll need to soak them before using."

I like mainly because he reminds me of Disco Stu from the Simpsons.

He says not to pierce your meat with a fork or meat hook while cooking, yet he sells those meat hooks in his web store.

I watch him sometimes. Some episodes are much better, more informative than others. I watch it on a PBS channel from San Bernadino. Didn't know he was on KCET also.

I hate him but I don't miss a show. He has 5 or 6 pits smoking and only using one. Got dvr set love his bbq euipment. :crazy:

i like primal grill for the "worldly" view on outdoor cooking, and PG is...or was filmed up the road from us AZ brothers too!

this year for Christmas I am giving away his beer can chicken cookbook and the beer can holder. Have 3 people being introduced to the world of q

I think he has done a great job over the years. I think his cook books are a great resource and all of the recipes I've tried worked well. If you cook the open at comps or do some entertaining his books are the ticket!

Back