MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default **Primal Grill with Steven Raichlen**

Has anyone seen the new series from Steven Raichlen?
http://www.primalgrill.org/htdocs/pr..._episodes.html

I was at first bummed to learn it wasn't being shown on my local PBS stations, but came across it on the HD channels. I got turned onto BBQU kind of late and usually recorded the episodes. Primal Grill seems like BBQU but he's cooking on other brands of grills besides Webers which is a sponsor, I'm OK with that, but it is refreshing to see him use them rather than smoking in the background!
The three episodes I've seen so far, he has cooked on a Big Green Egg, a Traeger, a Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi and a wood fired Argentinian grill similar to a Santa Maria type cooker. If he cooks a Big Drum Smoker that would be over the top! I heard he was in town for a cooking demo at a winery and they cooked on a La Caja China, so I'm hoping to see more variety.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
leanza
Babbling Farker

His BBQ Bible inspired me and I still refer to it regularly. He has helped our cause. I would watch what ever he has to offer.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
frankenswine
Full Fledged Farker

He does use the BDS in some of his upcoming episodes.
La Caja China
Weber 22 1/2 Kettle
Kingfisher Kooker
frankenswine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
mbshop
Babbling Farker

yep, just started watching when i found him on pbs. they didn't have him listed but there he was.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
BBQ Grail

I'd watch PBS for that!

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 05:17 AM   #6
Jeremiah
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for posting the info, I was wondering why my recorded hasn't picked up any bbqu episodes yet this year.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #7
bowhnter
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Yeah, I noticed the show on our PBS a few weeks ago too...set the DVR for the series.

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber kettle 22” and 26”
Weber Genesis
Blackstone 22 and 36
Weber Jumbo Joe for the RV
Ooni Pro Pizza Oven

Join us for the South East Bash in Lebanon, Tn. May 4, 2024 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...p=drivesdk)%5D
Bash planning thread here https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=305951
bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Havent caught it yet/ I do enjoy his shows. He is why I am here today so blame him
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Havent caught it yet/ I do enjoy his shows. He is why I am here today so blame him
Same with me. He used to always have a Bandera smoking in the background. I bought mine because of him.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 09:00 AM   #10
TysDad
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenswine View Post
He does use the BDS in some of his upcoming episodes.
There was a glimpse of a drum already in the "Shoulders and Butts" episode. It looked like he put the lump charcoal between the ring and the drum all the way around....

With that much charcoal in a drum I bet it would cook for a very, very long time and burn the heck out of the paint.

I found it on DirecTV on a PBS station. My wife laughed when she saw the DVR program search list...BBQ, barbecue, barbeque, pork, ribs, butt, shoulder, etc.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Stainless Pool Filter Drum, BarBChef offset, charcoal GOSM, a gasser and a weed burner.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Henckels Twin Cuisine knives, CDN ProAccurate fast thermometer, Maverick Dual Probe Wireless thermometer, and lots more cooking tools.[/FONT]

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live."
TysDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #11
BIGWILLY
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
...and a wood fired Argentinian grill.
that grill caught my eye, especially the 'U' shape grates, slanted slightly towards the front allowing the meat juices to flow to a collecting pan for basting,

UDS
Stainless Gasser
Disco (plow disc, ranchera disc, discada)
Char-Broil "Patio Caddie" (Gas)
Cook n' Kettle Cast Iron Grilling Kettle
BIGWILLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
jtfisher63
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysDad View Post
There was a glimpse of a drum already in the "Shoulders and Butts" episode. It looked like he put the lump charcoal between the ring and the drum all the way around....
Yes, I saw that too. I've never used a BDS, but I'm pretty sure the charcoal goes in the basket not around it. Either way I like the show.
Large Big Green Egg
Stumps clone
WSM
Char-something Gasser
Modesto, CA
jtfisher63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
JD McGee

Thanks Brian...I just set the HD DVR to record the series...cool!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Has anyone seen the new series from Steven Raichlen?
http://www.primalgrill.org/htdocs/pr..._episodes.html

I was at first bummed to learn it wasn't being shown on my local PBS stations, but came across it on the HD channels. I got turned onto BBQU kind of late and usually recorded the episodes. Primal Grill seems like BBQU but he's cooking on other brands of grills besides Webers which is a sponsor, I'm OK with that, but it is refreshing to see him use them rather than smoking in the background!
The three episodes I've seen so far, he has cooked on a Big Green Egg, a Traeger, a Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi and a wood fired Argentinian grill similar to a Santa Maria type cooker. If he cooks a Big Drum Smoker that would be over the top! I heard he was in town for a cooking demo at a winery and they cooked on a La Caja China, so I'm hoping to see more variety.
I got advance copies of Episode 8 and 11 which feature the BDS. They are very well done and his food looks fantastic. And yes, as the others mentioned, Raichlen does not use the charcoal basket for coals. He puts a drip pan in there and the coals are placed between the basked and the wall of the drum.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #15
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I got advance copies of Episode 8 and 11 which feature the BDS. They are very well done and his food looks fantastic. And yes, as the others mentioned, Raichlen does not use the charcoal basket for coals. He puts a drip pan in there and the coals are placed between the basked and the wall of the drum.
So is this a new cooking technique with the BDS? That I have to see!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote