MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
Hawgsnheifers
Take a breath!

Default 2008 Smoke in the Spring Osage City Kansas Who's Competiting This Year?

Hello all. I was wondering if any of you brothers that competed last year at the Smoke in the Spring event at Osage City Kansas also participated in the BBQ bucks program where you could sell Q to visitors of the event? If so, what did you offer and how much did you charge?

Also, who's returning this year to the event?

18.5 WSM with BBQ Guru Competition MOD
Bandera with Spicewine Firebox MOD (Lives at Chiefs now)
Silver Smoker with "leak like a Sive" MOD
Brinkman Gourmet with "Critter Infestation" MOD
Jenn-Air 4 Burner Gas Passer with "Lazy" MOD

"Life is hard. It's harder when your stupid."

Last edited by Hawgsnheifers; 01-13-2008 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Added more title info
Hawgsnheifers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

We have gone to this contest every year.... it is a BLAST. I didn't plan on doing the BBQ Bucks - so I don't have any input for you there.

They have a kid's Que, and looks like they are bringing back some other ancillary contests, so we participated in them (instead of focusing on the sales)

They have lots of other things that draw people into town, like a community garage sale, etc.... so it has become a big event for the area. Sales would likely be good.

Outside of that aspect of it.... the People there are great. I know have posted about things before that wowed me out there.... but to reiterate - The first year we were there, the waterpump on the motor home went out.... we are scrambling all over, trying to get things going... and one of the local gals saw the problem, and ran down on her golf cart and got us one - without asking. Just arrived at our site with it. Other acts like that are commonplace out there. GREAT folks. I'll never miss this one.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Hawgsnheifers
Take a breath!

I competed in this event last year, with all the snow and rain.
Didn't do the BBQ bucks. I helped Jeff at Big Creek set up the year before and really enjoyed it. The weather was much better in 06.

Anyway, I was planning on competiting again this year with QansasjayhawQ again and didn't know how the BBQ bucks deal went over.

Thanks and will probably see you again this year.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Last year was the first year for it.... and I am not sure how it went over with the weather... With the turnout they have had for past years with the old fundraiser dinner - I can't imagine it not going over well with decent weather.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Hawgsnheifers
Take a breath!

I asked Corey Linton from the Osage City Parks and Rec about last years BBQ bucks sales and he told me that last year he had made up $3000 worth of BBQ Bucks and sold all but $500. And that was with the crappy weather. This year he is printing up $8000 worth of bucks and if we have good weather this year, he expects there to be a bunch more folks come out. It was very popular last year so this year should be even better. Some teams were selling a complete dinner last year for $5 bucks. Meat and a couple of sides. Another was selling stuff using the "buck a bone" concept. He suggested selling what competitors would be entering into Chefs choice contest, which will make it easier to do the vending with the same item. Lots of room for ideas on what to serve.