MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #3091
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Hey Phubar,
Here are the three lids I have.

The first one has a rod welded around the edge and a flat bar welded to the rod as a lip. It was only spot welded so I used high temp sealant to stop it from leaking. It turned out a bit heavy with the rod and the flat bar being added, but works fine and give me plenty of room on the top grate.

The second is a shorter one where I took a lid and cut the center out and welded it to a 6" bottom of a donor drum.

The third is just a lid. I use it only when cooking on the lower grate.

The fourth pic is a buddies drum where he cut the lip off to be able to use a weber lid. And you can see where the stuff runs. I am to anal to deal with that way of doing things, lol. I would be rubbing up against it and getting pissed.
Here is the pic I was telling you about.
How does the vertical air intake work for you?
I wanted to use a pipe with diameter 2,5cm/1".
I want to have something like that but today I read something about guys complaining that it was hard to control the heat.
The guys who had a bigger air intake had no problem as far as I can remember.
I remember that I saw somebody (think Norco) who had the ball valve on the bottom of the barrel but had a rod attached to it that went up so that you don't have to bend down to control the valve.
Probably I'll go with that idea,just have to find it!

Last edited by Phubar; 11-01-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #3092
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

I have 4 one inch intakes and only use all 4 to get the thing started. After the temp hits about 180 I shut down 2 of them and leave the other 2 open til it hits 220 then go to 2 about half open. My charcoal seems to burn evenly enough. So with 6 intakes and your wanting to get an even burn you will be adjusting all 6 intakes, all of them open 1/8 or so. Seems like more trouble then its worth. But reinvent the wheel if you must.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #3093
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Phubar,
Here are my intakes. I made the back on a bit taller so it would be easier to get to since I have a table close by and cannot walk around the drum. The front one is a bit shorter and the other two are down at the bottom but are only open for about 5 minutes when I fire the drum up, then they are shut down. On the tall ones I use a magnet to adjust the air.

I like the 2" exhaust. It works great since I have a airtight drum now. I use a tin can to put over the exhaust to slow it down before turning the meat and to shut it down after the cook.

Not quite sure what your pic shows, maybe another one later will help. Good luck with the build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SG102231.jpg (36.9 KB, 1395 views)
File Type: jpg SG102235.jpg (27.0 KB, 1394 views)

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #3094
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDave View Post
No offense, but I'll never understand why people insist on trying to reinvent the wheel or build the better mousetrap. I mean, I'm all for customization and individuality but the "basic" UDS design as explained in this thread and Norco's build thread is a pretty damn good smoker.

All the same, have fun with your build.

But trust these guys. They know what they are talking about.

Dave
Problem, im not going to read threw 3000+ posts to figure out the basic uds build. Im not going ball valves cuz i need to save money. Im going like the BDS style so if 6 is to many then how bout 4 intakes evenly spaced? If I REALLY need the ball valve then maybe ill go that way but if the BDS can get away with out it then so can i. lol.. can you grill with these things

Old 05-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #3095
Digi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Problem, im not going to read threw 3000+ posts to figure out the basic uds build. Im not going ball valves cuz i need to save money. Im going like the BDS style so if 6 is to many then how bout 4 intakes evenly spaced? If I REALLY need the ball valve then maybe ill go that way but if the BDS can get away with out it then so can i. lol.. can you grill with these things
Telling us that you're NOT going to read through what we ALL have done already, is not a real way to gain "respect" or "help in building" for that matter. The fact that your questions are already answered if you read through all of these posts is another thing... not trying to be a douche here, but take the time to read through this thread and we will help in ANY way we can...
22.5" Weber OTG - dubbed "Little Bit"
[/COLOR]
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #3096
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi View Post
Telling us that you're NOT going to read through what we ALL have done already, is not a real way to gain "respect" or "help in building" for that matter. The fact that your questions are already answered if you read through all of these posts is another thing... not trying to be a douche here, but take the time to read through this thread and we will help in ANY way we can...
i didnt mean it like that. i made it to page 97 last night and had a hell of a headache. Its hard to search threw so many posts. like looking for a needle in a haystack sorta thing. It seems that the first 50 - 100 pages was about what lid to use and showing pictures of there drum smokers. However this was around 1 in the morning so i might have missed something. Sorry for the miss communication

Old 05-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #3097
Phubar

Quote:
Hey Phubar,
Here are my intakes. I made the back on a bit taller so it would be easier to get to since I have a table close by and cannot walk around the drum. The front one is a bit shorter and the other two are down at the bottom but are only open for about 5 minutes when I fire the drum up, then they are shut down. On the tall ones I use a magnet to adjust the air.

I like the 2" exhaust. It works great since I have a airtight drum now. I use a tin can to put over the exhaust to slow it down before turning the meat and to shut it down after the cook.

Not quite sure what your pic shows, maybe another one later will help. Good luck with the build.
Thanx again Barbie!

I'm now at a point that I just have to build this thing and worry about the customizing later.
Probably I'll stick with my first ideas,most of the times those are the best decissions.
The Weber exhaust,3 air intakes with 1 vertical pipe plus ball valve will do?
Think that's one of my most important questions,the air intake and exhaust ratio.
I found it earlier on page 54 somewhere.
Sorry about the bad picture earlier,I took it with my cell phone as you can see,hopefully this pic will help.
It shows how I'm using the inside of the lid as a template for bending the rod for the upper lip of the charcoal drum/basket.
Thanks for your support broer/brother!

Last edited by Phubar; 11-01-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #3098
DDave
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
So anyone contemplating building a UDS should first determine what primary fuel source they intend to use. If its charcoal briquettes, then NORCO's guide is a vewry good resource. HOwever, if it's wood, then I suggest you consider my approach.
Like I said . . . reinventing the wheel. How are you going to get back in there to reload the wood? And having to reload all the time thoughout say a 17 hour brisket smoke is really going to be a pain.

I'm not knocking you, brother, truly I am not. Just trying to save you some frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Problem, im not going to read threw 3000+ posts to figure out the basic uds build.
Read this.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

All you need to know to build it.

THIS thread is what I would call "drum theory". It is a very worthwhile read. Yes it does take a long time but then so does smoking a brisket. Both are worth the time spent.

And yes, you can grill with these thin

Dave
Maverick ET-73
Taylor 1470 Digital Thermometers
Taylor 9842 Instant Read Thermometer
[COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Thermapen
DDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #3099
Tangled Up In Q
Found some matches.

Quote:
Hey Phubar,

Barbarian, that is one awesome looking UDS, you may have to drop the U ! Hope you don't mind I am going to try to clone it! I will change up the paint scheme for sake of identity. Both drums I have are closed drums, was yours an open ended??
Tangled Up In Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #3100
jtwisted13
Full Fledged Farker

here's mine finally

other than seasoning it(tomorrow) and installing the thermometer my drum is finally done..

started with this

burn baby burn

weber replacement grates are not an option where i live so ya gotta do what ya gotta do..lol

charcoal basket done - it is installed on an old grate from a gas grill - not traditional but it works - barrel primed as the paint i was using needed primer.

final paint and lid hanger mod(no idea what its really called..lol)

sprayed down with 3 coats of cooking spray and ready for tomorrows cook...one fatty and no idea what else..

Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #3101
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Like I said . . . reinventing the wheel. How are you going to get back in there to reload the wood? And having to reload all the time thoughout say a 17 hour brisket smoke is really going to be a pain.

I'm not knocking you, brother, truly I am not. Just trying to save you some frustration.

Read this.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

All you need to know to build it.

THIS thread is what I would call "drum theory". It is a very worthwhile read. Yes it does take a long time but then so does smoking a brisket. Both are worth the time spent.

And yes, you can grill with these thin

Dave
You add more wood through a device I call a door. Yes using wood forgoes any similarity to RONCO technology.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #3102
LT72884
Babbling Farker

thanx guys. Sorry for the miss communication and rudeness of my post. I was not trying to do that. Just mis typed what i wanted to say

Yeah i will be using 4 x 3/4 incj intake holes using a ball valve for one of them and plugs for the others. I could use magnets to

Old 05-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #3103
timmy7649
Full Fledged Farker

nice uds. good luck on your cook.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #3104
DDave
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
You add more wood through a device I call a door. Yes using wood forgoes any similarity to RONCO technology.
Ah yes . . . a door . . . I have heard of those.

My bad anyway, I got you mixed up with a different poster. It sounds like you have a very different purpose in mind than the basic UDS. I shall read more carefully next time.

Dave
Maverick ET-73
Taylor 1470 Digital Thermometers
Taylor 9842 Instant Read Thermometer
[COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Thermapen
DDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #3105
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

A Door in a UDS is no longer a UDS.
Forget that crap and follow the instructions.
Otherwise go build whatever ya want.
It won't be a UDS. You'll have to come up with a new name
for the contraption.

Weiser

Dave, this is in no way directed at you. I agree with ya.

Quote:
Ah yes . . . a door . . . I have heard of those.

My bad anyway, I got you mixed up with a different poster. It sounds like you have a very different purpose in mind than the basic UDS. I shall read more carefully next time.

Dave
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker