Tri-tip!

Goflight2

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
This was my first smoke using Harry Soo's Santa Maria tri-tip recipe. Smoked on my Traeger LiL Tex for an hour at 275, then finished on grill. Think it turned out pretty good.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363499699.647804.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363499714.526776.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363499728.500415.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363499740.606965.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363499752.978665.jpg

Looks wonderfully cooked, but it appears you didn't cut it all across the grain on the thick end. These guys are tricky and change grain direction in the middle of the roast.

Watch this short tutorial video for a better way to carve tri tips. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxHmuV4vTU"]How To Carve A Tri-Tip Roast - TVWB - virtualweberbullet.com - YouTube[/ame]

:biggrin1:The only thing I would add to the video take away points is don't over cook it like he did or maybe that's how they roll over at the VWB.

^Yeah, I shake my head at what some people do to their beef. :doh: You can't undo overcooked.

Yes, nice tri tip!

But as far as overcooking, what do you do with folks who refuse to eat beef unless they're beyond overcooked? :)

Yes, nice tri tip!

But as far as overcooking, what do you do with folks who refuse to eat beef unless they're beyond overcooked? :)

I find when I do a tri tip the outer part of the roast, when sliced as shown in the video is a bit more done than the inner part of the roast. If that's still too rare for some people I cheat.

I lay out what I think will be an adequate amount of the sliced roast for them on a wide piece of foil and add back some of the dripping from the roast. Then then fold it into a packet, and toss it back on the grill for a few minutes. The drippings keep it nice and moist and sliced it finishes quickly.

Back