MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default IBCA Chicken Question?

There is a non-sanctioned event I might be competing in and they are using IBCA rules. For chicken you cook half a chicken. I looked around and could not find the answer to this question......

So in IBCA you just give them half a chicken and then do the judges at the table fight to the death to see who eats it?

They rest of the rules said to give 7 ribs, 7 brisket slices so there has to be more than 1 judge at a table. If they cut up the chicken and share it would seem they all might not get parts of white/dark meat.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

At the judging table, the 1/2 chicken boxes are passed around so that each judge gets an uncut sample before passing it along. They use fork/knives for all the turn-in boxes, not just chicken.

Hope that helps, Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

It's set in front of them, they cut off a chunk of their favorite part and pass it on. Knife and fork only and a new one for each sample.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimebbq View Post
At the judging table, the 1/2 chicken boxes are passed around so that each judge gets an uncut sample before passing it along. They use fork/knives for all the turn-in boxes, not just chicken.

Hope that helps, Benny
Thanks for that info. I thought it had to be something like that. Though a battle to see who gets the entire chicken half would be cool too . Also didn't know they used forks and knives for everything. Always nice to get help from the brethren. Thanks!

Old 09-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
It's set in front of them, they cut off a chunk of their favorite part and pass it on. Knife and fork only and a new one for each sample.
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like the first judge get the pick of the litter . Looking forward to practicing chicken halves.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Depending on the number of teams and tables, the finals table could be a slim pickin carcass.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Depending on the number of teams and tables, the finals table could be a slim pickin carcass.
We try to avoid that. The judges are instructed to take small bites and reminded that they're there to taste, not have lunch! And I've found walking around the table making eye contact with Mr-heavy-eater is often enough to get them to stop gorging themselves! At the larger (50+) contests, you turn in 2 chicken halves(they'll tell you at the cooks meeting if you need to) and we instruct the preliminary judges to try to take their sample from only one half. When you explain to the judges just how the judging is going to proceed and let them know how much effort and such the cookers have put forth, most people are good about following instructions!

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

the chicken breast is usually the part most take from

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Jason TQ

Quote:
Wait there is a finals table? Is that for all the meats?

Old 09-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
the chicken breast is usually the part most take from
Yes, judges are instructed that if you start with dark meat, you stick with dark meat. I'll never forget my first time inside the IBCA judging area, I was working as a table captain (or head table judge) and one judge absolutely insisted that he wanted the 2nd wing part. That'd didn't work out for him.

For what it's worth, I think it takes more skill to cook half chickens rather than parts. And I know that it takes more skill to cook food that tastes good hot and cold, cause by the finals table that entry is room temp.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
Yes, judges are instructed that if you start with dark meat, you stick with dark meat. I'll never forget my first time inside the IBCA judging area, I was working as a table captain (or head table judge) and one judge absolutely insisted that he wanted the 2nd wing part. That'd didn't work out for him.

For what it's worth, I think it takes more skill to cook half chickens rather than parts. And I know that it takes more skill to cook food that tastes good hot and cold, cause by the finals table that entry is room temp.
Can you tell me about the finals table? Is that for every category?

Old 09-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Yes final table is how the elimination process on each meat works
The IBCA rules are posted on line

Www.bbqthom.com

Old 09-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
Yes final table is how the elimination process on each meat works
The IBCA rules are posted on line
Right the IBCA website was the first place I went. The rules page doesn't really talk about the exact process of elimination works though. Wanted to see if anyone had info on that. Like during the first round judges taste what is in a box and then I'm assuming scores are given. Then if they are high enough the same box goes to a "finals" table where whatever is left is tasted again?

Old 09-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #14
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Prelims generally cut the field down to the final table
Team count dictates the process
big count and you can have three tables involved
very small contest it is all final table

Www.bbqthom.com

Old 09-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #15
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
Right the IBCA website was the first place I went. The rules page doesn't really talk about the exact process of elimination works though. Wanted to see if anyone had info on that. Like during the first round judges taste what is in a box and then I'm assuming scores are given. Then if they are high enough the same box goes to a "finals" table where whatever is left is tasted again?
Don't get too caught up in all this. Cook the 'que your comfortable with and turn it.
Differences I've noticed in IBCA:

Chicken - no need to worry about bite through skin. If its cooked right, it will stay moist througout the process above.
Ribs - they are using a knife and fork, mo' tender = mo' better.
Brisket - now that I'm back in Texas, everyone is kicking my A@@.

I prefer 1/2 chickens over parts, I don't know that it takes a better cook, but as a cook, its a process that I prefer.

You will find that you won't miss the garnish or the chicken parts or the compressed turn in schedule.

Good luck!
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote