Quick BBQ ideas?

kylersk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know, BBQ is low and slow and I love cooking things that take all day, but i'm looking for ideas on things I could BBQ after work and have ready for dinner (on UDS if possible?). Ribs are barely able to do, if I want to eat late, so something you can cook in 3 hours or less.

Just looking for ideas, thanks!

moink balls
bologna
bacon wrapped shrimp (make them buffalo wing style)
any kind of seafood
kielbasa
twice smoke ham

High-heat whole chicken. I cook a whole fryer indirect in a little over one hour on my Big Green Egg at 400 degrees. Great crisp skin and juicy. You may be able to get set up an indirect cook at temps approaching that on the UDS.

I've done these in quick mode on a UDS:
  • Pork steaks
  • Whole feesh
  • Splatch cocked chicken.
  • Burgers
  • Fatties
  • Sausage & cheese stuffed poblano boats

My kids love drummies. I pick a bunch up on the way home from work sometimes. They'll cook in under an hour.

Here are some ideas...can't say I've done them in my UDS, but I see you have other cookers.

_utf-8_B_SU1HMDAxOTMuanBn_-761082.jpg

DSC04156.jpg

DSC06316-1.jpg

DSC06857-1.jpg

DSC06389.jpg

DSC06874.jpg

I can fire up a chimney and have the kettle going in no time to make burgers, chicken breasts, thighs, legs, halves, whole, fatties, steaks, chops. I don't use my stove inside near as often anymore. I also have a Weber Q 100 that I use a ton during the week for quick cook stuff. Tastes great and is fun

I bet you can do ribs in 3 hours if you kicked up the heat and/or wrapped them.

Neither is my prefered way to do it, but if you got a hankering for some ribs on a Tuesday....

Pork Loin done at 300 F will be cooked just about the way I like it in the 3 hour mark.

Brined pork chops do well too! I buy the ones from Sam's that they cut an inch thick, brine them in the bottom of the fridge all day while you're at work, I cut the salt back and increase the sugar (normal brine for me is twice as much salt as sugar) or go half unit of salt, equal brown sugar, quarter honey, quarter molasses, with some fresh cracked black pepper. makes a great brine.

Take your chops out of the brine as soon as you get home, drain them, pat them dry with a paper towel, put them back in the fridge to air dry, (form a pelicle), while you're starting your UDS, crank it up, open all the vents and get it up to 325 - 350.

Put your chops on the grate, lid it and let the temperature fall back, when it drops to 300 or so, close down to maintain that temperature, cook till 145 - 150, remove and cover for 10 minutes, while you plate everything else, add the chops to the plate and serve.

Last edited:
I just had a stellar brain fart; Easy grilled pizza. Here's how:

1. Light up a chimney of briquettes
  2. Call Domino or Pizza Hut
  3. when the pie arrives throw the briques on and grill the pie for a few minutes

I'm guessing grilled pizza in 1/2 hour tops. It may taste like $hit; but it's fast.

I know, BBQ is low and slow and I love cooking things that take all day, but i'm looking for ideas on things I could BBQ after work and have ready for dinner (on UDS if possible?). Ribs are barely able to do, if I want to eat late, so something you can cook in 3 hours or less.

Just looking for ideas, thanks!

There's been some great suggestion already, however I would like to add that you CAN do ribs in 2 hours if you're smoking at high heat. I get back ribs done in under 2 hours at 325-350 degrees cooked indirect. I was a little concerned at first that the smoke flavor wouldn't be that great, but I was proven wrong. Here's a pic of some ribs smoked with high heat...as you can see, nice smoke ring.

Attachments

• Ribs Cut 1a.jpg
    Ribs Cut 1a.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 14
Back