MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #10561
JOMANCHU
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My new Florida State Seminole UDS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.2 KB, 763 views)
JOMANCHU is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #10562
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Got mine going right now for the first time. Going to let it run about 300 for an hour or so then back it down to 225 and see how long it lasts. It's holding about 310 with all 4 vents open (1/2" holes), and 30* outside. I'm drooling. Can't wait to fill it up with meat. I'll posts some pics when I figure it out.
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #10563
Hammer325

GO NOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hammer325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #10564
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
What is an Ugly Drum Smoker?
Start on page one. Hahaha
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #10565
Hammer325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Start on page one. Hahaha
:thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Hammer325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #10566
MattCom
Take a breath!

Refurbed the fire basket for my UDS. The old design didn't last too long, I melted the aluminum pizza tray I was using to catch the ash and embers (Alum melt point:1,221°F...uh ). I used a 60 qrt stock pot lid, it's about 3x thicker than the pizza pan.
Added some SS legs (4.5" h), a SS rod that I can use to lift it out (pics were taken before I bent the top of the rod into a loop). It wont be shiny long!

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #10567
mcsailor
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default new to the brethren

So when life has you over a barrel , you make a ugly drum smoker :-)! Well I got my free barrel today and will be starting my build tomorrow .hopefully after reading all the threads it will go smoothly ! Do you think I need to burn it out ? 20130216_155751.jpg 20130216_154144.jpg
mcsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #10568
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

No build it season it and cook on.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #10569
mcsailor

Default new to the brethren

So when life has you over a barrel , you make a ugly drum smoker :-)! Well I got my free barrel today and will be starting my build tomorrow .hopefully after reading all the threads it will go smoothly ! Do you think I need to burn it out ? Attachment 75934 Attachment 75935

Old 02-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #10570
mcsailor

I was thinking the same thing . If I want to paint it later: I will hit with a weed burner , sand it and paint then ....lol.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #10571
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

For all intents and purposes if it looks clean it probably is. But given you will be cooking for friends and family why not burn it out to be on the safe side?
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #10572
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCom View Post
Refurbed the fire basket for my UDS. The old design didn't last too long, I melted the aluminum pizza tray I was using to catch the ash and embers (Alum melt point:1,221°F...uh ). I used a 60 qrt stock pot lid, it's about 3x thicker than the pizza pan.
Added some SS legs (4.5" h), a SS rod that I can use to lift it out (pics were taken before I bent the top of the rod into a loop). It wont be shiny long!
i use aluminum roasting pans (turkey size), cheap and disposable , plus they hold a lot of ash , you can usually get quite a few cooks out of them before they are trashed
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #10573
sjm845
Got Wood.

Default Takin out the Trash!

Temp outside--23 degrees (windchill not included!)
Temp inside -- blazing at 275
IMG_1144[1].jpg
Brisket on @6am. Homemade rub (salt, pepper, garlic and cayenne) with no injection. Weatherized Ique 110 pumping up the volume nicely! Dinner served @6pm if you are traveling though the Greater Sloatsburg Area! TELLYOUWHATBBQ.com
SLOATSBURG, NY
[URL="http://tellyouwhatbbq.com"]TELLYOUWHATBBQ.COM[/URL]
[URL="http://facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
Twitter: [URL="http://twitter.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]@tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
RUB IT...SMOKE IT...PULL IT!
sjm845 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #10574
jiveturkey1

Ok, don't bust my nubbies for not posting pics, I was having too much fun cooking on my 1st UDS I just finished this weekend. I'll post some when I can take some decent pics on a sunny day.

Anyway, here's my evaluation so far:

THIS THING WORKS AWESOME!!
Mine has two 1" ball valves for control. The 1st thing I cooked was some rib tips with Walkerswood Jerk paste and butter rubbed on them. I lit the top of the charcoal basket filled with Lump and a few hickory chunks mixed in with my weed burner, then let it sit outside the barrel for a few minutes. With both valves wide open, I lowered it in and closed the lid. It quickly rose to about 350°. I closed both valves a little at a time, waiting about a half hour in between, until it hit about 250°. Put the meat on and waited till they were done. I left them on a little too long, but instread of being dry, they were still tender, moist and delicious.
The next thing I tried was a tri-tip for the 1st time. I added some more coals, lit the top and this time, really let it heat up and left it wide open. By the time the Tri-tip was done, the whole coal basket was lit, and the temp was about 475°. Here's the amazing part. I wanted to throw on a fattie (slit in half so it would cook faster) and a few brats. I put them on with it still running very hot, closed the lid and set the valves to the same setting it was running earlier at 250-275°. I went inside, ate some tri-tip, and forgot about the fattie and brats. When I finally remembered them, I thought for sure they would be burnt beyond recognition. To my surprise, it was cruising at 275° and the meat was cooked perfect. Remember, the whole basket of coals was on fire. I'm not sure how that works, kinda defy's the minion method. So I pulled the brats and fattie and shut her down. Anyway, I am very impressed to say the least.
Thanks for this thread!!
jiveturkey1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #10575
tld0550

I have a question regarding UDS air intake I wanted to have my valve off the ground and had an idea to run it inside and set grate on 3/4 90s that penetrate up high looked through and searched to no avail has anyone attempted this and if so does it work or would the riser get too hot and restrict air flow ??? Thanks in advance
tld0550 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker