What shoould be injected into a Pork Butt

G

gordi

I wanna smoke a coulple of butts this weekend , but dont have whole injecting thing figured out . The wife brought home a bottle of apple cider vinegar ? what do you guys think ?

Nothing really. Just my opinion but butt's dont need to be injected. Perhaps if you're competing maybe.

BTW, nice blue, got one that is 2 years old.

Nothing. Or, Apple Juice with Worchestershire, but NOT Apple Cider Vinegar.

Perhaps some over-the-counter creole butter.

The cider might work, but I'd lean more towards plain apple juice. Sometimes i throw in a shot of KY bourbon, after deglazing the cook, and some rub. Inject about 4-6 hrs before smoking. There are some commercial products out there too, like KOSMOS, but that won't help you this weekend. Good luck, and have fun. Butts are very forgiving and are always good!

Thanks for the info What the hell , I will inject only one and have a comparsion !:crazy:

This is the last one I tried and everyone really liked it, its from Dr. BBQ

1 C pineapple juice
1 C apple juice
1/2 C brown sugar
1/4 C salt
2 T Worcestershire
2 T soy sauce
2 T hot sauce
1 T dry mustard

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Heat until they are well blended. Refrigerate before using.

If you must inject I have used beef broth simmered with the rub I am using, strain and chill. Bring to room temperature before injecting. HTH

Oooops I misread I thought you said brisket. in that case use apple juice. :icon_blush:

For 48-51 pounds of pork shoulder butt (bone-in)

2 cups blackberry syrup (I use Zergut brand from eastern Europe)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1-1/2 cups water
1-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cups salt
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

blackberry/dijon is the bad-a$$ combo

just did some Wednesday, meat was incredible

seattlepitboss

People have been eating pork for thousands of years. They know what goes good with it. Don't fight the common knowledge. Use what you like. Personally, I don't inject pork, but, if you must, pork friendly ingredients include apple juice/cider, cloves, sugar, Worchester, garlic, salt, red pepper, white pepper, and black pepper.

Kosmo's apple juice/pineapple juice and some of your rub mixture. Save apple cider vinegar for after it's done.

Back