To BGE, or not to BGE, that is the question...

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I've got 2 huge pits for making money, but nothing for experimentation and recipe development - the reason I started all this, back when it was more fun and less work.

With a little luck the current kitchen remodel will not completely devestate the bank account, and we have decided not to work quite as hard this year, so.........should I buy an XL or Large Big Green Egg for home use? Discuss................

Bigger is ALWAYS better...IMHO!:biggrin: If you're doin' LOTS of research:twisted:...get the XL. I don't think it's as deep as the large (dome to grate)...but it has more capacity 22 1/2 inch vs 18. I'm sure the other eggers will chime in here if I'm wrong.

I love my Large but if I had the option would prob. move up to an XL... I do understand that there are fewer options avail. for the XL...

I'd like to have an XL mainly for larger cuts like a large packer. For day to day family use the Large can cook enough for my family (3 people), but for longer racks of ribs and large briskets an XL would be nice.

I'd like to have an XL mainly for larger cuts like a large packer. For day to day family use the Large can cook enough for my family (3 people), but for longer racks of ribs and large briskets an XL would be nice.
I agree... I started out today with a full untrimmed slab of spares. Right now, they are pretty much covering the grate. I know that I can use a rib rack but if I can lay them down, why not do it...

That's the feedback I'm looking for. I was concerned about the smaller dome height, but I'm guessing a turkey will still fit fine.

I'd get the large. (I have 2 of them). Many more eggcessories and a little more user-friendly. I thought I wanted an XL until I cooked on one for a day. It's not as much fun and you can stack a LOT of stuff on a large with a little creativity and eggcessories.

For competition it's great to have one XL but for home cooks I'd get a large.

Well I was going to wait until I got the table refinished but I will break the news here...

Yesterday I traded my XL for a large. I had a large before the XL, but always wanted an XL. Once I got it I never liked it as much as the large. Yeah, you can get a lot on it... but I swear I can get as much on a large with two grids. Two grids on an XL is nearly impossible due to the lower dome height. Plus the coals being so much closer to the cooking grid is a PIA. I know temp is temp but I'm telling you it is a different animal than the large. I can also tell you the XL is a lump eating machine compared to the large. To each his own... but for me the large is a MUCH preferred cooker over the XL.

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and everyone who responed advised me to go with a Large. Wish I could be of more help.

If you want a pit for experimenting... get an FEC-100. Not quite as fun, but you are going to have nearly the same product coming off of the FEC-100 as you will on your bigger FEC-500.

If you said you just wanted to have fun and play with fire, I'd highly encourage the Egg.

It's as much about playing with fire and feeding the family as anything else. The results are coming back skewed to the large.......will a packer fit on it?

I think that it should... It might be a little tight until it shriks a bit but it should fit as long as your not splitting it...

I am not an Egghead (yet) but didn't i see a post recently with an add on fot the XL for more space and height??
Thirdeye maybe??

Where is Rick when you need him????

i was defending this nation against the terrorists and spending your tax money...

anyway, i'd say go with the large. then you'll want a medium or small.

here's a 10 pound packer on a large.

packerbrisketnature-009.jpg

I've fit an 11.5lb packer on my large. Worse case trim a corner off the flat to make it fit. People do packers in WSM all the time. I've rippled longer one.(lift in the middle until the edges fit). It'll shrink as it cooks.

Back