New Braunfels Bandera question

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I ran across a used Bandera on Craigslist, they are asking $150. I did a search and found a new one for $198+shipping. Any of you NB Bandera owners out there have any idea what these are going for used? I haven't looked at it in person yet but the pics on CL it appears to in OK shape on the outside. Any feedback appreciated!

I just sold mine two weeks ago for $50, fire box was in a very used condition, but the cooking box was in good shape. How old is this one? Mine was 5 years old and used alot?

If its an original New Braunfels (sticker on the door) I would at least go by and look at it. From what I understand the new ones are China-made and have thinner metal. The originals have beefier metal - again from what I understand - dont hold me to it. But I'd say $150 is a fair price if its in good condition.

I would love to find one for BeerGuy at that price. If any of you guys find one in the Mid-Atlantic region please give one of us a shout.

If it's an original it might be worth a look. As Brauma said the newer
ones are thin metal and are somewhat cheap. But they will work...with work.

swamprb said:
I ran across a used Bandera on Craigslist, they are asking $150. I did a search and found a new one for $198+shipping. Any of you NB Bandera owners out there have any idea what these are going for used? I haven't looked at it in person yet but the pics on CL it appears to in OK shape on the outside. Any feedback appreciated!

I'd pay 100 for a bandera in almost any condition. I bet they would take 100.

Honestly, I'd probably pay 150 for any decent Bandera. The issue is one of scarcity in most parts of the US. A used Bandera in WA is a totally different price point than one in TX.

swamprb said:

Shipping could be a killer. I'd guess 250 lbs, and the box is large. If it's clean, no rust problems, and has all of the accessories I'd probably offer $100 and be willing to meet in the middle if it's the cooker you really want.

G$ said:
I'd pay 100 for a bandera in almost any condition. I bet they would take 100.

Honestly, I'd probably pay 150 for any decent Bandera. The issue is one of scarcity in most parts of the US. A used Bandera in WA is a totally different price point than one in TX.

Thats the thing-I've never seen one for sale around here and I'm always looking for something Q' related. Now compared to the Black Diamond horizontal is the Bandera easier to use or is it comparing apples to oranges.

swamprb said:
Thats the thing-I've never seen one for sale around here and I'm always looking for something Q' related. Now compared to the Black Diamond horizontal is the Bandera easier to use or is it comparing apples to oranges.

The biggest difference is going to be capacity, and usable space. With a Black Diamond you lose a lot of space to the hot spot next to the firebox, unless you fabricate some sort of tuning plate. It isn't that hard. If you go with a Bandera you are still looking at needing to make a baffle to even out the heat in the verticle, but you have much more useable capacity.

swamprb said:

The Bandera is "easier" to use for larger capacitys. There are still things you have to do to get uniform steady heat, but once you do them, the capacity is better than the horizonatal, and more consistent generally. If, like you said, you like collecting Q stuff (and tinkering), I would pursue the bandera without a doubt, at perhaps a negotiated rate. It is a somewhat rare opportunity to get a vertical offset on the "cheap".

swamp, the more I reflect on this, you really need to get this thing. I looked at your sig line, and you clearly are a collecter. Give the Bandera a good home.

Back